01-11-2018, 08:17 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(01-11-2018, 06:48 AM)kingfisher Wrote: A bit of a thread resurrection, but I am about to take the plunge, as well.  

I know somebody earlier in this thread recommended not starting out with an AC-style shavette, but that's exactly what I have done.  This morning was my 13th daily shave with a Feather SS kamisori razor.  Coincidentally, I got my first cut this morning (rushed, overconfident).  It was very superficial and didn't even bleed.  

I am mailing out a straight tomorrow to Larry and Whipped Dog for honing.  It's a straight I bought at an antique store about 3 years ago with no intention of ever using it.  I was going to sell it on e-bay to see if I could make a few bucks profit, but I never got around to it.  So now I get to keep it and give it a try myself.  

My plan is to be proficient by the end of 2018.  So I will take it slow.  WTG on the cheeks only until I am comfortable with that, and then gradually expanding as I go.  I am in no hurry.  I am determined to master it, though, so I feel confident that I will not quit, no matter how steep the learning curve (and I honestly don't think it will be that bad).  

I feel like I learned a lot about shaving just in the 13 days of using the Feather SS, even though I've been DE and SE shaving for almost 9 years.  

I can hardly wait for my razor to return from Larry's shop so I can get started!

Welcome!  I just finished my first year of shaving with a straight razor.  I used my Feather Artist Club razors prior to making the switch and I found they were extremely helpful in transitioning.  A shallow blade angle, light touch and skin stretching are the keys to success with both the Feather systems and real straights.  The straight razor does take quite a bit more maintenance, but once you get stropping and drying techniques on point, it doesn't add more than a few minutes to the morning routine.

155 2,878
 01-11-2018, 10:10 AM
User Info
Thanks, Dave.

3 1,821
 01-11-2018, 10:19 AM
User Info
How often does a straight need to get sent away for honing?

45 1,243
 01-11-2018, 11:50 AM
User Info
(01-11-2018, 10:19 AM)shevek Wrote: How often does a straight need to get sent away for honing?

I'm hardly an expert, but I've been told that it varies but provided you strop it properly it would be probably once every few months.

3 1,821
 01-11-2018, 12:00 PM
User Info
(01-11-2018, 11:50 AM)kingfisher Wrote:
(01-11-2018, 10:19 AM)shevek Wrote: How often does a straight need to get sent away for honing?

I'm hardly an expert, but I've been told that it varies but provided you strop it properly it would be probably once every few months.

Thanks. A  practical reason to start a razor rotation. Nice Smile

This explains why so many straight shavers dabble in the honing side of things.

45 1,243
 01-31-2018, 01:50 PM
  • JABF99
  • Illinois
User Info
(09-24-2017, 03:58 AM)Gabe Wrote: Starting is not that bad. You will get a few nicks but these can be minimized with patience.

I do not switch hands. I get a little blind spot on my left cheek below my sideburn. Only on the WTG pass. This is not a big deal to me. You will feel the edge cutting like you do a DE. This tells me my angle.

Finish with a DE. It will avoid further irritation and you will have a great shave while learning.

I do 3 passes.

For a first straight I would recommend a 5/8 to 6/8, preferring the 6/8. With a 6/8, I find it easier to see/find my angle.

I watched the Lynn Abrams videos. I watched more but his stuck with me as being very informative.

Best advice I can give is ... .. Stick with it. It's too easy to give up. The shaves are no where near your DEs. Much more uncomfortable... the list goes on.

At 15 shaves it will be less awkward and painful. Less nicks if any.

The magic number is 30 shaves. At 30 the shaves improve drastically. Not BBS, but comfortable and close. At 30 you will get that feeling that that you can in fact shave with a straight razor. At this number your desire to continue is much greater than your urge to quit. From then on, it only gets bettter.

I was going to start a thread, but came across this one, and then saw your post.  I just wanted to say it was very encouraging.  I just started using a Feather SS shavette, and was pretty dejected after my first few shaves of nicks.  Your recommendation of the Lynn Abrams videos was very helpful too.  I've never had a problem shaving with a DE razor and thought I'd just pick up this new Feather SS and it would be a similar experience, as long as I took my time.  But I can see it's a whole new thing entirely.  Anyway, thanks... I'm going to do what you said in your post - stick with it.  This messageboard is a real blessing for a new guy like me.  Glad I found this place.

0 29
 01-31-2018, 02:45 PM
User Info
(01-31-2018, 01:50 PM)JABF99 Wrote:
(09-24-2017, 03:58 AM)Gabe Wrote: Starting is not that bad. You will get a few nicks but these can be minimized with patience.

I do not switch hands. I get a little blind spot on my left cheek below my sideburn. Only on the WTG pass. This is not a big deal to me. You will feel the edge cutting like you do a DE. This tells me my angle.

Finish with a DE. It will avoid further irritation and you will have a great shave while learning.

I do 3 passes.

For a first straight I would recommend a 5/8 to 6/8, preferring the 6/8. With a 6/8, I find it easier to see/find my angle.

I watched the Lynn Abrams videos. I watched more but his stuck with me as being very informative.

Best advice I can give is ... .. Stick with it. It's too easy to give up. The shaves are no where near your DEs. Much more uncomfortable... the list goes on.

At 15 shaves it will be less awkward and painful. Less nicks if any.

The magic number is 30 shaves. At 30 the shaves improve drastically. Not BBS, but comfortable and close. At 30 you will get that feeling that that you can in fact shave with a straight razor. At this number your desire to continue is much greater than your urge to quit. From then on, it only gets bettter.

I was going to start a thread, but came across this one, and then saw your post.  I just wanted to say it was very encouraging.  I just started using a Feather SS shavette, and was pretty dejected after my first few shaves of nicks.  Your recommendation of the Lynn Abrams videos was very helpful too.  I've never had a problem shaving with a DE razor and thought I'd just pick up this new Feather SS and it would be a similar experience, as long as I took my time.  But I can see it's a whole new thing entirely.  Anyway, thanks... I'm going to do what you said in your post - stick with it.  This messageboard is a real blessing for a new guy like me.  Glad I found this place.
Hang in there, Gabe.  When i first started using the Feather SS, I only did my cheeks.  Gradually over the days I added more real estate.  The first time I tried the area under my lower lip I quit almost instantaneously.  I thought to myself that I would NEVER be able to shave that area or the chin with this contraption.  However, over time, I developed methods that worked.  Within a couple of weeks I was shaving my whole face and neck, including the chin and mustache area, with the Feather SS without any problems. 

Now, I'm similarly starting my vintage straight razor shaving very cautiously.  Cheeks only, WTG only for now, adding more later.

3 1,821