09-23-2017, 11:52 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
I am sure everybody has their own memories of that period - assuming you were already born.  Biggrin

Life was quite a bit slower as I recall it. No internet, no mobile phones, no social media. 

And there were quite fewer shaving brush makers. Those who did exist for the most part existed already for a long time: Rooney, Simpson, Kent, Thäter to name a few and PLISSON!

It took several years before I owned a Plisson. They were expensive, elusive with a hint of Myth around them.

Once I bought my first Plisson a few years ago  (the HMW Size 12 below from a gentleman of this forum pictured below), I was so excited to try it out.

[Image: P6FvSOD.jpg]

It was pretty much a let down fort me: sure, the bulb was wonderfully formed and provided amazing resistance despite the lack of density. And the handles are really pretty. But the hair was harsh, prickly and made for a very uncomfortable experience.

So I decided Plisson is not for me and I went on to dedicate myself mostly to Simpson 2 Bands of 2011-13.

Once in a while a "vintage" Plisson popped up in a thread and those brushes looked clearly different with wonderful tips that screamed softness from a far. So I vowed to acquire one of these when I have the opportunity. Now, I did not (yet) obtain a Plisson from the 70s or earlier, but thanks to a trade with a great member of this site I at least could catch a model from the 80s that he had obtained NOS, i.e. it has only a few shaves on it.

May I introduce: Plisson Size 14 (23/58mm), plexi handle from the 80s.

[Image: EUN6qUy.jpg]

[Image: Ac1QHMz.jpg]

[Image: b7CLZiF.jpg]

The 3 band knot is wonderfully shaped, the colors of the 3 bands are very expressive: deep brown/black for the darker band, white and long tips. Tips are super soft when dry and the medium dense knot has remarkable resistance given its size. Now, don't get me wrong: this is not a wall of badger like a Simpson Chubby but it is a wonderful knot that will provide your face with an excellent massage applying only gentle pressure.

Different to the current HMW you will not find one stray black hair in this knot --- testament to the great work of those who sorted the hair and tied the knot. The knot is very symmetric and just beautiful to look at. While I am not the greatest fan of these type of plexi handles, it worked just fine and is not too big to manage.

What about the face feel?  Well, not as cloud soft as a Thäter, but no prickle or scritch either. I used MdC this morning and it was just a pleasure to use this brush. The flow through is excellent, a great lather is quickly generated.

This brush is like the 80s: big hair, great quality products and having the time to enjoy w/o texts and notifications bothering you.

Happy to have obtained that Plisson. This one is a keeper, the other, more recent one, I did let go quickly. 

I know there are even nicer ones out there -- more to hunt!

39 1,894
 09-23-2017, 11:59 AM
User Info
That looks great.  I don't think I have very many 80s brushes (maybe some of my European brushes might fall into that category); mine are mostly from before 1960 or from after about 1990.  But then I didn't really miss the 80s themselves either.

0 171
 09-23-2017, 12:26 PM
User Info
That brush looks like it is right up my alley.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it.  Beautiful German!

21 1,805
 09-23-2017, 09:26 PM
User Info
Nice score.

69 2,194
 09-24-2017, 05:57 AM
User Info
While you are not a fan of the handles i feel they are the nicest things about the brushes ! I think that handle is stunning. The knots from the 80's i have no experience with. (In fact the 80's are pretty much an alcoholic blur ?). I am glad to be schooled about some fine knots from back then. Thanks for showing it off .

0 6
 09-26-2017, 11:37 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Nice brush Georg.  I agree that the ergonomics of the Plexi handles leave a bit to be desired, but they are absolutely stunning to look at and the business end of the brush will quickly make you forget all about the oddly shaped handle.  Aaaaa

149 2,823
 09-26-2017, 08:19 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I like it Smile thanks for posting.

7 2,359
 09-27-2017, 04:28 AM
User Info
Ah vintage Plisson.  Nothing compares when it comes to the sorting of this hair.  There is not a single hair that doesn't belong, no black tips, truly the perfect knot.  The banding is strikingly beautiful.  Beautiful brush Georg!  Congratulations on adding both a Rooney Finest and a vintage Plisson HMW to your collection, both in the same week!  
Here are a few vintage Plisson brushes that I have had the privilege of owning in the past. 

[Image: NfCyGRp.jpg][Image: 9WAHI83.jpg][Image: WnfbLO9.jpg]

75 2,320
 09-27-2017, 08:50 AM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
Ahhh, Nathan! Beautiful Plissons, right there. If you ever plan to part with the second one - the horn handle, I will gladly take it out of your hands!   Biggrin

Edit: it seems it is already not with you anymore...   Sad

39 1,894
 09-27-2017, 09:47 AM
User Info
(09-27-2017, 08:50 AM)German Wrote: Ahhh, Nathan! Beautiful Plissons, right there. If you ever plan to part with the second one - the horn handle, I will gladly take it out of your hands!   Biggrin

True, I parted with all of them... Sometimes I regret it... However that horn one you're eyeing up was always far too big for my liking.  just an absolute monster of a brush.  But they are sure beautiful to look at.  I think the one you picked up is a great and very usable knot size.

75 2,320
 09-27-2017, 10:30 AM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
(09-27-2017, 09:47 AM)merkur man Wrote:
(09-27-2017, 08:50 AM)German Wrote: Ahhh, Nathan! Beautiful Plissons, right there. If you ever plan to part with the second one - the horn handle, I will gladly take it out of your hands!   Biggrin

True, I parted with all of them... Sometimes I regret it... However that horn one you're eyeing up was always far too big for my liking.  just an absolute monster of a brush.  But they are sure beautiful to look at.  I think the one you picked up is a great and very usable knot size.

I agree, the Size 12/14 are the sweet spot. I presume the horn was Size 18?

39 1,894
 09-27-2017, 11:48 AM
User Info
(09-27-2017, 10:30 AM)German Wrote:
(09-27-2017, 09:47 AM)merkur man Wrote:

I agree, the Size 12/14 are the sweet spot. I presume the horn was Size 18?

Correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75 2,320