09-26-2017, 02:03 AM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
Hey guys. If anyone has one of Brad's 2 band brushes, the type that he is currently using, give me some thoughts. If you can compare it to the M&F knots in his handles, even better.

19 1,112
 09-26-2017, 03:29 AM
User Info
I have both an M&F Blonde brush (from Brad Sears ) and a Brad Sears 2 band.  It's hard for me to directly compare the 2 brushes as the loft on my Brad Sears is longer than the M&F.  What I can say is that the Brad Sears 2 band is wonderful.  It is the perfect combination of density and softness.  You will not be disappointed.

1 194
 09-26-2017, 06:12 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Wolf Whiskers offers a Brad Sears knot - I choice that knot on my recent purchase.  I have no idea if close to the 2 band used in Brad's brushes.   I do agree with gohabs - the knot is a favorite with nice balance.

17 970
 09-26-2017, 06:29 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
I have a Sears bulb and a fan.  Both of which are extremely soft with medium backbone.  The bulb has some of the whitest, longest tips I have ever come across.  The Brad Sears Knight I got recently in a fan is also a wonderful brush.  Compared to my recent Sears M&F they are much softer, but not quite as dense.  The M&F I got definitely has some scrub and I think that might be the reason we've been seeing a lot of M&F's on the bst lately.

74 822
 09-26-2017, 07:06 AM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
(09-26-2017, 06:29 AM)ddk13 Wrote: I have a Sears bulb and a fan.  Both of which are extremely soft with medium backbone.  The bulb has some of the whitest, longest tips I have ever come across.  The Brad Sears Knight I got recently in a fan is also a wonderful brush.  Compared to my recent Sears M&F they are much softer, but not quite as dense.  The M&F I got definitely has some scrub and I think that might be the reason we've been seeing a lot of M&F's on the bst lately.
Did you see that Brad is selling the Knight for $150 until the end of the month? That's pretty much why I asked.

19 1,112
 09-26-2017, 07:07 AM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
(09-26-2017, 06:12 AM)SCOV Wrote: Wolf Whiskers offers a Brad Sears knot - I choice that knot on my recent purchase.  I have no idea if close to the 2 band used in Brad's brushes.   I do agree with gohabs - the knot is a favorite with nice balance.
I've been spending too much time trying to get on that damned wait list as it is.

19 1,112
 09-26-2017, 07:09 AM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
Thanks fellas. Seems like it might be an easy decision.

19 1,112
 09-26-2017, 07:32 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
(09-26-2017, 07:06 AM)Puma Wrote:
(09-26-2017, 06:29 AM)ddk13 Wrote: I have a Sears bulb and a fan.  Both of which are extremely soft with medium backbone.  The bulb has some of the whitest, longest tips I have ever come across.  The Brad Sears Knight I got recently in a fan is also a wonderful brush.  Compared to my recent Sears M&F they are much softer, but not quite as dense.  The M&F I got definitely has some scrub and I think that might be the reason we've been seeing a lot of M&F's on the bst lately.
Did you see that Brad is selling the Knight for $150 until the end of the month? That's pretty much why I asked.

I saw the Knight pop up on FB so I jumped on it and got the first one.  Glad I did because I love the knot as well as the handle.

74 822
 09-26-2017, 04:25 PM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
(09-26-2017, 07:07 AM)Puma Wrote:
(09-26-2017, 06:12 AM)SCOV Wrote: Wolf Whiskers offers a Brad Sears knot - I choice that knot on my recent purchase.  I have no idea if close to the 2 band used in Brad's brushes.   I do agree with gohabs - the knot is a favorite with nice balance.
I've been spending too much time trying to get on that damned wait list as it is.
Well, I persevered and got on the list. I'll check with Peter on that Sears knot when my time comes, but right now my plan is to send him an Elite Razor Manchurian White knot. I have one in an Elite handle and I adore that brush. The only knot I have that I would rank above it is my new Paladin.

19 1,112
 09-26-2017, 05:44 PM
User Info
I know this is a tangent but I have to say, my very absolute favorite knot right now is from life2short1971 on Etsy.

I've had it since April and it's just Goldilocks for me. I've tried a lot of brushes and knots over the past two years or so. 

Brad's got excellent knots as well I'm sure and Bob does for sure at Elite. 

This two band life2short1971 is selling on Etsy is just different than everything else somehow. It's not listed on his page. You should message him and ask if he'll sell you one. It's priced similar to Elite Razors Manchurian. 

I think it's got such a good balance of backbone, fine we'll packed hairs, a smidge above average loft, and luscious symmetry. The density and thin hairs hit the sweet spot for me to produce the elusive combination of good backbone and just above gentle bit of massage or scrub if you want to go heavy with some pressure. Never a scratch or sense of pokey tickle. It's been fantastic since day one.

I'm trying to cut back at the moment but I am really thinking of asking him to make me one brush so I can fall back on something in case of emergency. 

I don't use mine every day. When I get back to it in the rotation I do sometimes wonder why I even use other brushes. 

My Simpsons Manchurian that's well worn in now gives me that feeling too. So do my Paladins and the Elite Manchurians.

I don't think so many guys have this guy's knots though. Yet. 

They're phenomenal. I really am impressed with the one I have. 

Congrats on getting on the wait list man!

11 1,627
 09-27-2017, 09:57 AM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
(09-26-2017, 05:44 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: I know this is a tangent but I have to say, my very absolute favorite knot right now is from life2short1971 on Etsy.

I've had it since April and it's just Goldilocks for me. I've tried a lot of brushes and knots over the past two years or so. 

This two band life2short1971 is selling on Etsy is just different than everything else somehow. It's not listed on his page. You should message him and ask if he'll sell you one. It's priced similar to Elite Razors Manchurian. 

I think it's got such a good balance of backbone, fine we'll packed hairs, a smidge above average loft, and luscious symmetry. The density and thin hairs hit the sweet spot for me to produce the elusive combination of good backbone and just above gentle bit of massage or scrub if you want to go heavy with some pressure. Never a scratch or sense of pokey tickle. It's been fantastic since day one.

I'm trying to cut back at the moment but I am really thinking of asking him to make me one brush so I can fall back on something in case of emergency. 

I don't use mine every day. When I get back to it in the rotation I do sometimes wonder why I even use other brushes. 

My Simpsons Manchurian that's well worn in now gives me that feeling too. So do my Paladins and the Elite Manchurians.

Thank you, and thanks for the information and the detailed review of that knot. I will check it out.

19 1,112
 10-15-2017, 06:01 PM
User Info
(09-26-2017, 05:44 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: I know this is a tangent but I have to say, my very absolute favorite knot right now is from life2short1971 on Etsy.

What’s the name of this Etsy shop? I couldn’t find it.

58 592
 10-16-2017, 08:37 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
+1 for Scott, lifetooshort1971

Cheers, Steve

9 872
 10-17-2017, 03:42 PM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
(10-15-2017, 06:01 PM)shaveser Wrote:

What’s the name of this Etsy shop?  I couldn’t find it.

If you use this website it will direct you right to his Etsy shop: LockwoodShavingworks.com

19 1,112