09-26-2017, 11:41 AM
  • Wrathen
  • Gulf Breeze, FL
User Info
So I looked unless I missed it I didn’t see this post, but I’m on mobile so might have.

I used to have a few razors but had to sell most due to wife’s medical bills. I’m finally able to get myself a nice razor again and not sure what to go with. I used to have a SS Wolfman SB (standard gap) that I loved and gave me a great shave but was just a touch to aggressive for me, but I could deal. Currently using a v2 Alumagoose and it works well for me with Feather Guard or super. Got an ATT Slant combo and it seems to leave my skin raw, no nicks but tons of AF burn. Not sure if it’s the Slant or just too aggressive or what tried a few blades and some are worse, so guessing it’s not for me.

So trying to figure out which way to go since I can really only get one and can’t experiment. I always enjoyed the build quality of my Wolfman and how well it did with holding the black solid and no wavy blade. So I’m leaning that way but since I stopped reading a lot Charcoal and Timeless are not here and look rather good.

So if I could find something just the same or a touch less aggressive than a Wolf WR1 SB with good build quality that would be great. Also I’m a head shaver too so if the Razor was on the lighter side I would be upset (I always dreamed of a Ti Wolfman SB, but alas not likely to happen).

Also if anyone would let me borrow one of them I would be glad to cover shipping.

Thank you for your time and opinions.

EDIT:
Guess I should have added Blackbird in there too but haven’t had any experience with them at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 785
 09-26-2017, 01:05 PM
  • iShave
  • Calgary
User Info
Well if you enjoyed the Wolfman but it was too aggressive there’s the reduce blade gap, the Wolfman .54 is my last standing razor. But out of the options you listed I’d pick the level 1 Charcoal Goods, I really liked that razor a lot.

2 457
 09-26-2017, 01:24 PM
User Info
(09-26-2017, 11:41 AM)Wrathen Wrote: So I looked unless I missed it I didn’t see this post, but I’m on mobile so might have.

I used to have a few razors but had to sell most due to wife’s medical bills. I’m finally able to get myself a nice razor again and not sure what to go with. I used to have a SS Wolfman SB (standard gap) that I loved and gave me a great shave but was just a touch to aggressive for me, but I could deal. Currently using a v2 Alumagoose and it works well for me with Feather Guard or super. Got an ATT Slant combo and it seems to leave my skin raw, no nicks but tons of AF burn. Not sure if it’s the Slant or just too aggressive or what tried a few blades and some are worse, so guessing it’s not for me.

So trying to figure out which way to go since I can really only get one and can’t experiment. I always enjoyed the build quality of my Wolfman and how well it did with holding the black solid and no wavy blade. So I’m leaning that way but since I stopped reading a lot Charcoal and Timeless are not here and look rather good.

So if I could find something just the same or a touch less aggressive than a Wolf WR1 SB with good build quality that would be great. Also I’m a head shaver too so if the Razor was on the lighter side I would be upset (I always dreamed of a Ti Wolfman SB, but alas not likely to happen).

Also if anyone would let me borrow one of them I would be glad to cover shipping.

Thank you for your time and opinions.

EDIT:
Guess I should have added Blackbird in there too but haven’t had any experience with them at all.

0 47
 09-26-2017, 01:25 PM
User Info
I have all of those razors and can't go wrong with any of them. I love my Charcoal level 2 but it's tough to order right now as Brian is moving. I love the .68 scalloped head Timeless Razor (currently have the .95 SB and love it) and my absolute favor razor at the moment is the Blackland Sabre. Shaves incredibly well (The razor blade is amazing and last 10-15 shaves) and has a mild feel but supper efficient. I would recommend going with either Timeless or Blackland as they have a 30 day return policy. In recent months, I have really enjoyed single edge razors more. I have a mongoose stainless steel and my sabre. Love them both. Just for fun, I rotate the Charcoal, Timeless, and soon the REX ambassador.

0 47
 09-26-2017, 03:03 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(09-26-2017, 01:25 PM)Flyingbald Wrote: my absolute favor razor at the moment is the Blackland Sabre. Shaves incredibly well (The razor blade is amazing and last 10-15 shaves) and has a mild feel but supper efficient. I would recommend going with either Timeless or Blackland as they have a 30 day return policy.

It's hard to disagree with any of this.
The Sabre is incredible. So is the Blackbird. And you can try them 30-days risk free. (Same with the Timeless.
I prefer the two Blackland razors, however. YMMV.)

59 2,818
 09-26-2017, 03:55 PM
User Info
I have a Timeless .95 and an ATT R2 and while the Timeless is prettier I think the ATT gives me a slightly better shave. I put that on me and not the razor, because sometimes I get perfect BBS shaves with the Timeless. I just get them more consistently with the ATT. I just find it more maneuverable. Those two are my favorites. I've reduced my rotation to 4. The other two are an Oristo, which is a nice milder, but still efficient razor, and an Ikon Standard which is very aggressive. Your ATT problem might be with the slant design. Maybe try an ATT M2 or M1, which are milder than the R plates. Also if you get a Timeless you might prefer the milder .68 gap. Timeless razors are beautiful works of art and they hold the blade out towards the edge like the Wolfman. Nice and rigid. The Oristo is a very gentle feeling shave, but it gives excellent results. It is basically a copy of the old Razorock Black Mamba head. Another nice one that is stylish and somewhat mild is the Asylum Evolution. Just be sure to get the original head, there is a new slightly more aggressive plate coming out soon. There will  also be a new Razorock Mamba coming soon that will be very similar to the old Black Mamba and the Oristo, but much less expensive.

2 212
 09-26-2017, 04:07 PM
User Info
The new Mamba from razorock should be be a very nice razor and a smoking deal.  If money is no object, take a look at the new Rex Ambassador Razor at razor emporium as it's adjustable.

0 47
 09-26-2017, 05:02 PM
User Info
I really enjoy my Trader SB and Barbaros razors most. I know... Not very helpful...

Guerilla is very nice. The chunky, hollow handle is even great to use.

I have a 0.54 Wolfman SB and I think the Guerilla is a little more comfortable for me atg. 

The Charcoal Goods level 2 is very satisfying and smooth. The level 1 isn't very different but I can tell them apart I think. I like the looks of it very much and really like the very low profile head. Looks very much like a Gillette Tech as a matter of fact. Really familiar yet contemporary. 

Haven't tried a Blackland razor yet. I am interested in the Sabre. I have a ridiculous stash of DE blades and don't really need a new rabbit hole at the moment.

I really think it's down to what you like the looks of when you're looking at a stainless razor to invest in long term. It's the blade that does the job and given enough practice with the same blade holder you'll eventually get the technique that works best for you down pat. Most times I have issues with irritation or anything lately is because I have used one particular razor for a long time and then changed to one that behaves different. Usually my fault for not paying attention and doing something that works with one razor but hurts with another.

If you have a bunch of different handles you like to switch up, you might consider that Charcoal and Blackbird don't work with every aftermarket handle. I think it's more obvious with the Blackbird but the Charcoal has the same kind of ridges some of the old Techs have and some handles are too wide at the business end.

Other than little things like that, I would probably give up my Barbaros razor last if faced with the decision.

9 1,411
 09-27-2017, 01:17 AM
User Info
I have all 4 of the razors mentioned and I'd say if you are having issues with irritation or an aggressive razor like the Slant you mentioned doesn't work for you I'd look to either the Sabre which is a great shaver and  BTW there is a new baseplate coming out very soon with a little more gap to increase the efficiency if needed. Also as someone mentioned the Timeless .68 SB or with Timeless I prefer the Open comb and have both the .68 on one razor and a dual baseplate .95 on the other. Moving on I'd also consider the Wolfman Guerrilla SB. It's a nice mild shaving but efficient razor and I've gotten some really nice shaves out of it. If fact I just saw one on ebay at a really good price that's basically brand new. No case comes with them BTW. They also offer an Open Comb version which I'm sure is a little more efficient but if you have sensitive skin issues I'd go with a milder razor based on what you wrote. I love my Charcoal and I've got the level 2 and 3 Open Combs as I prefer a more efficient razor. I would not recommend the Level 3 for you as It's a beast in a good way and the most aggressive, most efficient razor in my den. Also a couple of other suggestions if you'd like to save some money and go with something less expensive find a nice used Colonial General in either brass or aluminum and there is a new SS version coming out soon which I'm pretty excited about. Also they are very reasonable in their pricing and in fact I don't know how they do it. Love my General!  Also one of my absolute favorites is my British Gillette Open Combs and US 40's SB Aristocrats. Great shavers and they will probably escalate in value based on what I'm seeing in the market lately.  Also you may want to consider an adjustable. A Fatboy, Slim or a new adjustable like a Parker Variant or Rockwell. I'd hold off on the Rex for now as they seem to be having some manufacturing issues based on what I've read. 

NOTE: You mentioned a Wolfman. Other than the readily available Guerrilla you'd probably be waiting 2 yrs for a WR1 for example. I've been on the list for almost that long and still don't have one. 

Hope this helps. 

Good hunting!

0 110
 09-27-2017, 08:03 AM
  • Wrathen
  • Gulf Breeze, FL
User Info
Thank you everyone for your opinions and advice so far. Currently I'm leaning towards ether the Timeless .68 or the Wolfman Guerrilla. 

Another question does the Timeless Scalloped top cap do anything for the shave or is it just for looks?

16 785
 09-27-2017, 09:20 AM
User Info
(09-27-2017, 08:03 AM)Wrathen Wrote: Thank you everyone for your opinions and advice so far. Currently I'm leaning towards ether the Timeless .68 or the Wolfman Guerrilla. 

Another question does the Timeless Scalloped top cap do anything for the shave or is it just for looks?

I have both cap's and I see no difference. I know some would say it moves the lather better but the Timeless just moves lather great with either cap. Just a suggestion if you go with the Timeless in the .68 gap give some thought to getting a dual comb. One side Open comb and the other either the scalloped or straight bar. Since you've never shaved with one I can tell you these are some of the smoothest shaving DE razors around no matter if you get a Open comb or SB. I've got a dualie in a .95 gap and it's great as I can start out with the OC side on the 1st pass especially if I have a 2 day growth or more and then use the SB side for the next pass or two. Timeless razors holds the blade in a vice like grip that is the best in my den which is great for me as I love a rigid blade. 

If you go with the Wolfman SB it's on pair as far as efficiency goes with the Timeless .68 SB...and if you do go with the Wolfman check out the one on ebay as you will save you at least $40 as opposed to ordering one from the site and it's in perfect conditon as I know the owner really well and he's selling it only because he wants the OC version.   

Can't go wrong with either razor. 

Thumbsup

0 110
 09-27-2017, 01:46 PM
User Info
In my opinion, the Timeless .68 fits the bill.  It is a mild razor that you can get in titanium so it will be light, and the handle isn't slippery when wet.  The Guerrilla is extremely mild (more so than the Timeless .68) and although the hollow handle makes it well balanced, it's too fat to be comfortable (for me) and is very slippery when soapy.  Both are masterfully machined, so that's a wash.

0 40
 09-27-2017, 06:13 PM
User Info
(09-27-2017, 08:03 AM)Wrathen Wrote: Thank you everyone for your opinions and advice so far. Currently I'm leaning towards ether the Timeless .68 or the Wolfman Guerrilla. 

Scalloped Cap is purely for 'AESTHETICS' OR LOOKS. Just ask someone at Timeless, as they 'like the look'.

48 414
 09-27-2017, 07:17 PM
User Info
I have tried a CG and a Wolfman Guerilla. I find the CG level 1 to be quite similar to the Guerrilla in terms of blade angle and approach. I lean towards the CG on the marketing aspects, and personality and interactiveness of the proprietor, Brian. I sincerely appreciate his honesty and communication with regards to his availability, intentions, roadblocks, and care of his razors. Couldn't think of a negative thing to say in any of my several interactions with him.

0 37
 09-28-2017, 01:53 AM
User Info
(09-27-2017, 07:17 PM)Ajaccio Wrote: I have tried a CG and a Wolfman Guerilla. I find the CG level 1 to be quite similar to the Guerrilla in terms of blade angle and approach. I lean towards the CG on the marketing aspects, and personality and interactiveness of the proprietor, Brian. I sincerely appreciate his honesty and communication with regards to his availability, intentions, roadblocks, and care of his razors. Couldn't think of a negative thing to say in any of my several interactions with him.

Plus they are beautiful. Especially in brass with the antique finish. You might not want to shave with it once you see it.

2 212
 09-28-2017, 08:21 PM
User Info
(09-27-2017, 07:17 PM)Ajaccio Wrote: I have tried a CG and a Wolfman Guerilla. I find the CG level 1 to be quite similar to the Guerrilla in terms of blade angle and approach. I lean towards the CG on the marketing aspects, and personality and interactiveness of the proprietor, Brian. I sincerely appreciate his honesty and communication with regards to his availability, intentions, roadblocks, and care of his razors. Couldn't think of a negative thing to say in any of my several interactions with him.

Brian is a great guy and not only does he create artisan razors but his customer service is about as good as it gets. Can't wait for some of his new items to come out.

0 110
 09-29-2017, 06:31 AM
User Info
Brian is absolutely amazing. He was super helpful when I was having what I thought a nickel reaction to stainless steel. I’m looking to start a thread of my research on nickel reaction. I was an early adaptor of Brian’s work and I love it! Shaved with my level 2 sb this morning.

0 47
 10-02-2017, 06:15 AM
User Info
Have to agree with the above recent posts.
Bought a level 2 SB recently via the BST and have communicated with Brian twice since, his replies have been quick, honest and very helpful

2 51
 10-02-2017, 06:19 AM
  • Wrathen
  • Gulf Breeze, FL
User Info
A member was kind enough to send me his spar Timeless 68 Scalloped head I got one shave in last night and loved it. I normally can’t do OC razors on my face and normally go towards SB. With the scalloped being kind of an in between it shaved very well giving me a bit more efficiency than a normal SB but still not irritating my face. I’ve since worked a deal out with him to buy this head from him and I’m very happy with my purchase.

Maybe one day I’ll try out a Charcoal Razor and others but for now I’m happy

16 785
 10-10-2017, 05:31 AM
User Info
I love my timeless .95. in someone who mostly used what most consider mild razors vintage Gillettes , this razor is extremely smooth for me. Highly recommend and the scalloped top plate is incredibly beautiful!

1 14