11-01-2017, 04:26 PM
User Info
Sorry, I'm confused.  Is feather owned by Kai or vice versa?

18 1,655
 11-01-2017, 04:31 PM
User Info
Thanks for the inside updates from Japan, Mel S Meles!!

8 933
 11-01-2017, 07:30 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(11-01-2017, 04:26 PM)wreck | fish Wrote: Sorry, I'm confused.  Is feather owned by Kai or vice versa?

Neither.  Feather, based in Osaka, makes razors in Seki, Gifu-ken.  Seki is the small city that is associated with sword-making and knife-making dating back to the Zhidai-geki days; the swords of Miyamoto Musashi were fashioned there.  KAI is a new-old Seki company, founded in the first decade of the 20th century, that is a major player in the 21st century information age fascination with gourmet kitchen knives, and is the parent company of some major knife brands sold worldwide.  

So far as I am aware, KAI does not make any DE razors; Feather, on the other hand, makes one of the best, arguably THE best, DE razors in the world, a marvel of precision manufacturing.  Both Feather and KAI make DE razor blades in Seki and, while there may be friendly debate which makes the sharpest blades in the world, KAI advocates will concede that if there is any blade sharper than the KAI, then it must be the Feather, and Feather advocates will concede that if there is any blade sharper than the Feather, then it must be the KAI.  

For the domestic market in Japan, both Feather and KAI make disposable cartridge razors and higher quality razor handles that will accept proprietary design cartridges. The distribution of the Feather and KAI cartridge razors is very limited outside of the home market and, frankly, is not all that robust even in that home market itself, which is dominated by Schick and Gillette products. Japanese men who do not shave with Panasonic electric shavers overwhelmingly choose Schick or Gillette cartridge razors for their daily shaves.

The last week of October, I acquired as a -saabisu- in a Tokyo hotel a disposable KAI razor and as a -saabisu- in a Nikko -onsen- three disposable Feather razors.  All in all, given the choice, I should take the KAI disposable razor.  In the Ito Yakado -depaato- in Ofuna, I saw an interesting ¥248 package of an exceedingly thin KAI plastic handle with a few (three?) separate two-blade cartridges that looked to be a quality step-up from the disposable Feather and KAI razors, but I resisted the temptation to buy the package because I am a razor user, not a razor collector.

1 1,102
 11-01-2017, 07:46 PM
User Info
Ah, ok.  Thanks.  I misunderstood.  I thought the Samrai was a Kai razor, not feather.  Makes sense now.  I actually kind of like the looks of the Samrai handle, looks like a beefy grip.

18 1,655
 11-05-2017, 05:28 PM
User Info
Will the new cartridges shave better than the MR-3 Neo?, and will they fit my MR-3 handle?.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

6 631
 11-05-2017, 10:59 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(11-05-2017, 05:28 PM)chevyguy Wrote: Will the new cartridges shave better than the MR-3 Neo?, and will they fit my MR-3 handle?.

In order:  probably not and yes.

The Samrai Edge cartridges appear to be more bulbous than the previous MR3 neo cartridges, though I was in no position actually to measure one against the other.  Strictly gauging by the appearance, the Samrai Edge cartridges might be harder to get into tight spaces, such as under the nostrils.  

The packaging for the new 3-blade cartridges specifically states that the cartridges will fit MR3 neo handles.

1 1,102
 11-06-2017, 02:21 AM
User Info
(11-05-2017, 10:59 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(11-05-2017, 05:28 PM)chevyguy Wrote: Will the new cartridges shave better than the MR-3 Neo?, and will they fit my MR-3 handle?.

In order:  probably not and yes.

The Samrai Edge cartridges appear to be more bulbous than the previous MR3 neo cartridges, though I was in no position actually to measure one against the other.  Strictly gauging by the appearance, the Samrai Edge cartridges might be harder to get into tight spaces, such as under the nostrils.  

The packaging for the new 3-blade cartridges specifically states that the cartridges will fit MR3 neo handles.
Thank you Mel. Hopefully there are still plenty of MR-3 Neo replacement carts to be found after Feather stops production.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

6 631