09-27-2017, 04:00 AM
User Info
Hi guys,

I  would like to buy the one blade core V2. What do you think ? Is this any good?

thank you
petros

0 18
 09-27-2017, 04:26 AM
User Info
Earlier this year we had a long thread on this razor.  You may find your answer there.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=48906

50 6,094
 09-27-2017, 07:19 AM
User Info
In a thread at another forum I was dicussing my experience with the V2 version of the OneBlade Core and here was my summary.

Quote:To try to add perspective.

In general I must be classified as a primarily double edge Gillette shaver that prefers badger over boar and boar over synthetic brushes and in most cases enjoys older razors to newer razors and old brushes over newer brushes. SEptembers single edge razors included two versions of AutoStrops (with both new Feather and old Valet blades); a Rolls; in GEMS a 1912, Featherweight, MMOC, ClogPruf and EverReady 1912; Two Hawks in aluminum (V1 & V2); a brass General; a Sabre, the latest ATT G1 revised head and so far the OneBlade Core (with both Feather and old Valet blades).

This thread was not about which format I preferred, or whether new razors are as good as old razors or which blade type works best but rather about how my experience with the OneBlade progressed, what I needed to learn to make it works and how it performed functionally.

When I began using safety razors Ike was our President and Elizabeth had been Queen for only five or six years but my experience with single edge razors came much later.

The thread though is about the razor itself and also my personal evolution from extreme skeptic, to very uncomfortable guinea pig to beginning awareness and learning how to shave all over again and finally to ardent admirer.

In the OP I split things into three parts, the like, the dislikes and an initial summary. In later posts I tried to document how I changed during this adventure.

All the things people have said about the razor are pretty much echoed in the OP. It simply felt wrong to someone who was used to more conventional safety razors. It was actually harder for me to get used to the OneBlade Core than to my AutoStrops and Rolls. They felt natural; this simply did not.

But the final result is "This razor really does as good a job as any of my other razors or razors I've used over the last half century and it makes it seem easy! It's inexpensive, pretty, and remarkably efficient but requires the user (assuming it is someone from the Straight or Safety razor community) to rethink shaving and relearn techniques."

0 128
 09-27-2017, 07:37 AM
User Info
As someone who feels like a lone wolf when it comes to this razor, I actually quite enjoy it and I stuck with V1 (milder compared to V2).

As most echoed in the other thread, this is a very mild razor, even with the improvement to make it more aggressive with V2. This razor tends to require a lot more buffing during the shave than most are used to. I don't mind buffing - gives me an excuse to throw some more lather on and prolong the shave. One of the big positives for me with this razor is the fact that I can buff and go against the grain seemingly for many passes without getting irritation. My neck and just under the nose are very sensitive and I can go against the grain with ease and irritation-free which I can't say with many other razors I use. 

My cons to this razor are really limited to the fact they take a proprietary blade, which is not cheap, and that (for me) I only get 2 solid shaves before having to toss the blade. You can despine GEM blades, but what other razors require that sort of step to prep your safety razor or other single edge razors? No one wants to have to do that.

I think it is a great gateway into wet shaving, especially for those coming from the cartridge world. Aside from the price of the OneBlade Genesis, I think this razor does the job for the price you can get it for. I don't know that this razor found the success everyone was hoping for, but you won't know until you try it for yourself.

5 89
 09-27-2017, 07:43 AM
User Info
(09-27-2017, 07:37 AM)_i2oss Wrote: You can despine GEM blades, but what other razors require that sort of step to prep your safety razor or other single edge razors? No one wants to have to do that.

Despined GEM blades will not work in the Core V2.  To make them work further additional modification would be needed to cut notches at the ends like the Feather FHS or old Valet blades.

0 128
 09-27-2017, 10:42 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(09-27-2017, 04:26 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Earlier this year we had a long thread on this razor.  You may find your answer there.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=48906

... and I'll spare you the read... the answer is NO.

59 2,822
 09-27-2017, 10:51 AM
User Info
(09-27-2017, 07:43 AM)jar Wrote:
(09-27-2017, 07:37 AM)_i2oss Wrote: You can despine GEM blades, but what other razors require that sort of step to prep your safety razor or other single edge razors? No one wants to have to do that.

Despined GEM blades will not work in the Core V2.  To make them work further additional modification would be needed to cut notches at the ends like the Feather FHS or old Valet blades.
Yeah I should have mentioned that. 

Also, you can extend the life of the FHS blades if you have a Valet Auto-strop. Jury is out on how many more shaves you'll get out of it but it is supposed to extend the life of them.

5 89
 09-27-2017, 01:03 PM
User Info
No...

0 45
 09-27-2017, 04:55 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
No.

I threw mine away.

102 18,652
 09-30-2017, 06:23 PM
User Info
No. super inefficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 371
 09-30-2017, 06:45 PM
User Info
No, no and no. Junk.

39 3,919
 10-02-2017, 05:58 PM
User Info
I have the Core V1 and V2. This is the only razor I own that allows me to shave against the grain on my neck with ZERO irritation. Overall, I am very happy except for the blade availability and longevity.

0 24