09-27-2017, 09:42 PM
User Info
Hype: to promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its importance or benefits.

But every so often, a product comes along and delivers. Mike’s shaving soap claims to be able to ‘hang with the big boys’ - and I believe it to be true. Many folks on wetshaving forums claim that SE is even better than DE - and IME, that has been true as well.

In your experience, what products actually live up to the hype?

36 2,246
 09-27-2017, 11:25 PM
User Info
Mike's, Haslinger, ...hmm I am not sure. I know what works well for me but I don't know if that translates to living up to the hype. I am sure someone could say even the two I mentioned do pass the test in terms of performance. I am also someone who doesn't take price into account much these days when buying so I may not be the best to say what may be considered over advertised or pluffed up artificially.

87 1,826
 09-28-2017, 03:46 AM
  • jar
User Info
Things that have pleasantly surprised me lately:

The OneBlade Core.  After I learned how to use the sucker I found it really does perform as advertised.  The issue is the way to use it means those of use who are drilled in safety razor techniques need to totally change what we do.  It would be like an MLB pitcher suddenly placed on a softball team.

0 257
 09-28-2017, 03:57 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Nevermind. Need to think this through a little better.

9 2,901
 09-28-2017, 04:50 AM
User Info
Products that actually live up to the hype:  None.

Regarding Mike's, it's excellent and one of the better shaving soaps.  However, there is a distinction between enthusiasm and hype, and I place the many positive remarks about Mike's in the former category.

60 11,241
 09-28-2017, 06:21 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Michael Jordan lived up to the hype.

That's about the only example that immediately comes to my mind.  There are lots of great shaving products.  The ones that I feel are superior, already had a superior reputation rather than hype.

A more interesting thread may be....what didn't match the hype....

178 1,676
 09-28-2017, 07:56 AM
User Info
 09-28-2017, 08:15 AM
User Info
I’ll go with Cella , many gents used to hold this as a top 5 soap in the den. I’m sure many barbers still to this day use this soap. For me Cella in terms of performance can hold its own with any soap , and for all these years can say it’s lived up to the Hype so to speak for simply being a great.

88 1,828
 09-28-2017, 03:26 PM
User Info
(09-28-2017, 06:21 AM)Steelman Wrote: Michael Jordan lived up to the hype.

That's about the only example that immediately comes to my mind.  There are lots of great shaving products.  The ones that I feel are superior, already had a superior reputation rather than hype.

Agreed, but I wanted to keep it positive and hopefully shine the light on some really great performers.

36 2,246
 09-28-2017, 03:29 PM
User Info
I'll play. I recently got to try some soap samples (vegan base) from The Grooming Dept. While I haven't seen much hype here, it has been hyped to a large extent on other forums and I think it probably lives up. Really an excellent performer and a standout in my opinion. No affiliation, but I did receive the samples for free. Looking forward to purchasing the full-sized soap.

0 810
 09-28-2017, 03:41 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
(09-28-2017, 03:26 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote:

Agreed, but I wanted to keep it positive and hopefully shine the light on some really great performers.

That's fair enough, Mike.

I'll list a few that, for me, matched the hype

MDC Fougere
Simpson's 2-band bulb brushes circa 2011-2014, and that batch of Manchurian from 2014
Czech and Speake soaps
ADP and SMN creams

178 1,676
 09-28-2017, 03:50 PM
  • eengler
  • Emeritus
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Good topic Mike Thumbup

-Cold River Soap Works (Unexaggerated yet most worthy IMO)
-AOS Tallow Sandalwood
-ICOLONIALI

68 5,619
 09-28-2017, 04:05 PM
User Info
For me MdC. 
Having hard water and little patience, and several disappointing runs with trying soaps others praised, I refused to plop down the relatively large outlay for MdC. I read reviews for years before buying some. It took me several months after getting it to appreciate how little product it actually takes to work up great lather. It always impresses me.

11 1,627
 09-28-2017, 04:58 PM
User Info
Great mentions here , MDC gets a lot of hype for being great and others give it a lot of talk for being not so good. I’m one who appreciates the soaps presentation , ease of lather , and slickness. CRSW is another that gets a lot of talk for good reason , great presentation , multiple soap bases and lots of scents , great customer service , I can go on and on. Icoloniali , man I regret letting my last pot go but what a soap! Slickness was amazing and that scent is incredible and unique!

88 1,828
 09-28-2017, 05:24 PM
User Info
AOS Sandalwood tallow.  Used it for the first time tonight.

[Image: tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif]

20 743
 09-28-2017, 05:38 PM
User Info
I recently used SdM, and was very, very impressed. 

[Image: le_pt_i_meusien_la_savonniere_du_moulin_2_small_1.jpg]

36 2,246
 09-28-2017, 07:05 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(09-27-2017, 09:42 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Hype: to promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its importance or benefits.

But every so often, a product comes along and delivers. Mike’s shaving soap claims to be able to ‘hang with the big boys’ - and I believe it to be true. Many folks on wetshaving forums claim that SE is even better than DE - and IME, that has been true as well.

In your experience, what products actually live up to the hype?

Good question. I wonder, can a product be "product dependent/hype specific"? In other words, 'I like product X because...' . Also, truth be told, some people are also quite adept at getting those AD juices flowing. Their comments are generally well written, descriptive and convincing. Thank you to them Biggrin

Perhaps by the very ymmv nature of this hobby one would have to look at the particular quality that hypers extoll about any preferred product. I'm enthusiastic for some products and get pleasure from their use. Because of my enthusiasm I also like to talk about the products and since my family's not interested, TSN's it. As such I also wonder, am I, as an admitted isolated product hyper, also a "fanboy?" I've seen the phrase used with much derision, and often feel that my enthusiasm for some preferred items may be construed as "fanboyism." I suggest that subjective judgment is perhaps the only realistic way to address the topic. Does hype by definition equate to fanboyism? I don't know if the relationship can even be quantified.

So with those questions established, and in no particular order, I like particular shave items for various reasons. Other people have raved about them before I did. In all cases that's why I tried them in the first place. Israeli Personnas and Med Preps for the close, smooth shaves I get with them. Valobra/AoS and B&M unscented soaps for the great, long-lasting and protective lather with excellent post-shave qualities. P-Red for the scent that just sends me. Asylum Evolution razors, Red Tips and prewar Techs for the close comfortable shaves I get with them. In fact, I've grown so attached to my Evolution razors I could easily get by with only these for the rest of my shaving days. Yes, more hype. But imo well deserved and justifiably so.

Non-shaving things I believe that consistently live up to hype, expectations, etc., are Martin guitars, certain Samuel Adams beers and many Russian River Valley pinot noir producers.

19 5,486
 09-29-2017, 03:35 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info

Well, I'll have to disagree about your first claim. One of the greatest? absolutely. The greatest ever? hype.
But back to shaving, you have a point.

9 2,901
 09-29-2017, 05:03 AM
User Info
Great thread! For me it was what proved wet shaving was better than cartridge. So the EJ89 a tube of Ingrams and a vulfix mixed badger/boar. Since then products have improved my shave but not necessarily as illustrated by the hype.

0 851
 09-29-2017, 05:15 AM
User Info
Both Arko and Tabac. Even if you don't like the scents, they both lather and perform. If you like the scents, you must admit they are different.

They live up to positive and negative hype, depending on your perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 173