09-28-2017, 11:32 AM
User Info
There are many people who toot the horn of SE shaving. What is it about SE shaving that makes it better than DE shaving? Do you experience less ingrown hairs, less irritation? Smoother shave? Longer lasting shave? 

If I am getting nearly perfect shaves from DE razors, what you tell you me to convert me to SE shaving?

19 288
 09-28-2017, 11:39 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I didn't find it any better if as good, but that's me.

9 2,901
 09-28-2017, 11:42 AM
User Info
I can shave equally good with both kinds of razors. However, I think it's a bit easier to get a close shave with some SEs.

60 2,730
 09-28-2017, 12:09 PM
User Info
I think it boils down to SE blades being thicker than most DE blades so there is less blade vibration/chatter while you are shaving.  Less vibration, less irritation.

I've been using the Feather Artist Club blades almost exclusively for a few years and am looking forward to trying the GEM PTFE blades in one of the newer razors that have come out this year (probably the Blackland Sabre).

56 1,282
 09-28-2017, 12:09 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I don't know. I really wanted to like the old GEM razors and collected about a half dozen of them. For the life of me though, I just can't seem to get good results for two consecutive shaves. One's ok but the second shave is rough and irritating. Been trying for three years and am basically ready to give up on GEMs. They look real pretty, but to date they just haven't been reliable shavers for me. Of course as we know, ymmv.

19 5,477
 09-28-2017, 12:36 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(09-28-2017, 11:32 AM)SweetReason Wrote: There are many people who toot the horn of SE shaving. What is it about SE shaving that makes it better than DE shaving? Do you experience less ingrown hairs, less irritation? Smoother shave? Longer lasting shave? 

If I am getting nearly perfect shaves from DE razors, what you tell you me to convert me to SE shaving?

The character Bodhi (played by Patrick Swayze in the 1991 version) in Point Break would tell you that the greatest pleasure comes from exercising the freedom to live dangerously.

1 1,487
 09-28-2017, 12:47 PM
  • jar
User Info
It isn't.  It is different. Both are as enjoyable as the users technique, the quality of the equipment and the sharpness of the blade allow. Both are as unpleasant as the users technique, the quality of the equipment and the sharpness of the blade allow.

0 257
 09-28-2017, 03:48 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
I use SE and DE razors, both, about equally. I started with DE, wanted to expand by going to SE, became exclusively SE for a spell, and now enjoy them both. Different experiences. Heck, the experiences of injector, AC and Gem blade razors are all different.

19 734
 09-29-2017, 02:57 PM
User Info
I haven't found this to be the case, for me. I much prefer DEs.  Shy

93 21,373
 09-30-2017, 03:12 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(09-29-2017, 02:57 PM)celestino Wrote: I haven't found this to be the case, for me. I much prefer DEs.  Shy

What I should have just come out and said.
Signs011   Bow

9 2,901
 09-30-2017, 08:29 AM
User Info
On my neck, which is sensitive, SE’s shave much better.

36 2,244
 09-30-2017, 11:47 AM
User Info
Less irritation, they make a nice "buttering toast " sound, much longer blade life and when the blade does get dull it just stops working and doesn't draw blood.

I use both SE and DE but for the last year I don't think I've used DE more than 3 times. It all depends what you like I suppose.

32 6,609
 09-30-2017, 01:45 PM
  • bennett
  • Kansas City
User Info
Neither is better for me, just different. I like both but honestly nothing beats a straight!   Tongue

0 254
 09-30-2017, 02:08 PM
User Info
(09-28-2017, 12:47 PM)jar Wrote: It isn't.  It is different. Both are as enjoyable as the users technique, the quality of the equipment and the sharpness of the blade allow. Both are as unpleasant as the users technique, the quality of the equipment and the sharpness of the blade allow.

+1 Thumbup

Edited to add: I can tell you why I prefer SE, specifically with razors that take the Feather Artist Club blades. Feather AC Pro Super blades give me a closer, more comfortable shave than any blade I've ever tried, bar none. Plus, I'm hooked on the extra length that these razors/blades provide; you can mow down a cheekful of whiskers with two or three deft strokes, zip zip. DE razors feel puny by comparison. No issue with those small problem areas, either. Just angle the blade so you're using only one-half or one-third the length -- same you do with a straight sometimes. Very maneuverable.

0 146
 09-30-2017, 04:57 PM
User Info
I've used both extensively. I can get a perfect shave from either method.  The more I shave the more i realize that the razor chosen matters very little.  What matters is that you can use the razor in a way that gives excellent results.  If you'll use any razor straight for a few weeks you'll be able to give yourself a comfortable shave with that razor.  Now, of course, people have preferences of one or the other, but that is an entirely different matter.

80 2,429
 10-01-2017, 01:19 AM
User Info
Two things to remember when discussing anything shaving related:

different != better & different != worse

3 7,653
 10-01-2017, 01:54 AM
User Info
(09-29-2017, 02:57 PM)celestino Wrote: I haven't found this to be the case, for me. I much prefer DEs.  Shy

Celestino, quite interesting in my mind.  Have you tried some of the milder SE razors like the Mongoose or SE1?  I find these with a Kai Original or Sharp to be buttery smooth and super-easy to shave with. 

However, I didn't enjoy the older SE razors at all.  Too sharp, too aggressive, too much focus on technique in order to get a great shave.

56 1,282
 10-01-2017, 07:27 AM
  • jar
User Info
(10-01-2017, 01:54 AM)david1201 Wrote:

Celestino, quite interesting in my mind.  Have you tried some of the milder SE razors like the Mongoose or SE1?  I find these with a Kai Original or Sharp to be buttery smooth and super-easy to shave with. 

However, I didn't enjoy the older SE razors at all.  Too sharp, too aggressive, too much focus on technique in order to get a great shave.

I must admit that I do find the ATT G1 revised head to0 be more enjoyable, more comfortable and produce as good or better results than my GEM/EverRead razors. The Blacklands Sabre is also very nice but maybe not nicer than my 1919 Damaskeene.

So far I have not found an AC format razor that is as nice as my older GEM format razors. I will have to give the ATT SE2 a try to see if it can compete with the GEM format razors.

0 257
 10-01-2017, 08:31 AM
User Info
(10-01-2017, 01:54 AM)david1201 Wrote: Celestino, quite interesting in my mind.  Have you tried some of the milder SE razors like the Mongoose or SE1?  I find these with a Kai Original or Sharp to be buttery smooth and super-easy to shave with. 

Hi, David.
Yes. I have tried the majority of the SE razors that utilize the Feather-type SE blades. I found the blades too sharp. I used to have a few of the original Cobra Classics, but after some time, I let them go because of the blades even though I tried a few different ones. 

I may contemplate the Colonial General, but I get excellent shaves with my two main DE razors that I don't see a reason to do so. I find DE blades just work better for my skin.  Shy

93 21,373
 10-01-2017, 10:15 AM
User Info
certainly understand Celestino's point i am so much more careful with the se's.  almost never have a weeper with my de's.

97 1,573