10-02-2017, 02:19 PM
User Info
Wow!  That was like going to school for free!  Thanks all

3 145
 10-02-2017, 02:47 PM
User Info
(10-02-2017, 02:19 PM)Lipripper60 Wrote: Wow!  That was like going to school for free!  Thanks all

A big +1 on what Ken and Rudy have shared!

Just a couple final thoughts:  Before setting the knot, you'll want to rough-up the base of the knot plug with some medium grit sandpaper.  Anything between 150 and 220 should work.  We do that because the epoxy you'll use to set the knot needs something to hold on to. The thing thing is that many (most?) plugs are so slick the epoxy won't hold for very long otherwise. 

Don't get too liberal with your epoxy.  A dime-sized puddle at the base of the socket's all you really need.  Then set the knot with moderate downward pressure and a few back and forth twists to be sure the epoxy's spread evenly.  Then let things sit overnight and you should be good to go! 

Finally, enjoy your "New" brush!

2 618
 10-02-2017, 03:25 PM
User Info
This thread is excellent.

To Tom, I have a Thater bulb in a custom handle that had a much larger socket than the handle the knot was originally in. I wanted it set with more face feel which I sort of accomplished by setting it about 4mm deeper. This would have worked great had the socket been a tighter fit.

What I ultimately did was to slip an o-ring from the handle up to the knot and then tuck it into the handle. 

Because the socket was too wide the knot behaves like it was set at the original higher loft. 

I don't have a good picture handy, but it's just about impossible to tell that the knot came from a 4205/2 which has a 24mm specified knot. In the original handle it was a solid 26mm just above the socket. The handle it's in now is around 30mm. Had it been 28mm my transplant might have been a lot closer to the feel I was after without any further modifications. As it is it's not bad at all. With a rubber o-ring inside the handle around the knot it's very nice. Makes it feel like what I was thinking. 

[Image: P69NTDm.jpg]

9 1,411