08-27-2012, 10:10 AM
User Info
 08-27-2012, 11:27 AM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Good article i,ve never read of anyone cutting their lips off with a de though!! Lol

115 1,690
 08-27-2012, 01:50 PM
User Info
haha so much drama.

0 120
 08-27-2012, 05:25 PM
User Info
Thanks for sharing the article. I recently switched to straights and appreciate what the article was saying.

21 1,449
 08-27-2012, 10:54 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Thanks for sharing, loved the read. Especially this:

"What actually sold me was the realization that once you buy the set up, assuming you take care of it, you really never have to buy anything again."Biggrin

26 1,245
 09-01-2012, 10:46 AM
  • Notary
  • Montreal, Quebec
User Info
Excellent article. As already mentioned I have been shaving with a DE razor - traditional wet shave for about 6-7 months. One cannot imagine the pleasure I have derived. What was once a chore has become a pleasant and relaxing part of my day. I am currently at the stage where the straight blade is intriguing me. I would like to take the plunge into the world of the straight razor. As was stated in the article people have been using straight blades for shaving for the longest time, yet most men today cringe at the thought of employing such methods. I welcome comments from those of you out there who converted to the straight blade. Was the transition easy, difficult, many cuts, taking proper care of a blade, etc.. Where does one begin? As well, are the straight blades ready for use because I have heard that some of them need to be precisely sharpened before their use; I believe the term is honing. Anyways, any information and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Happy Shaving Sam

0 108
 09-01-2012, 11:45 AM
User Info
It was easy for me. Very intuitive, but I've been fascinated with sharp items for a long time.

You need to buy a shave ready straight razor.

You begin with a straight razor and, if you're certain you're going to stick with it, a strop. Try it, and if you like it, buy the strop. That's really all you need.

Guide to buying your first straight razor.

9 2,987
 09-01-2012, 02:04 PM
User Info
I bought shave ready straights and sent the others out to Glen Mercurio of Gemstarcustoms.com for honing. I have a good strop or two or three with fabric webbing strop and also use worn blue jeans to strop before the leather. If the edges starts getting rough, I use chromium oxide on balsa as a touchup. I also have a coticule to hone or finish.

I've been using straights for 2 months almost and still get nicks every time, but I am getting better and can do a full shave including under the nose, the chin and jawline, WTG and XTG. You need to set aside time where you're not interrupted. At night is a good time to do it, without feeling rushed to get to work in the mornings. Prep the lather wetter than with a DE. Stretch, stretch, stretch. Light pressure. Correct angle. Practice. Practice. Practice.

The shaving gets to be meditative, requiring full awareness without tension. Stropping and honing are also very relaxing.

21 1,449
 09-01-2012, 05:24 PM
User Info
Thanks for sharing the article, John.

74 20,795
 09-28-2012, 08:02 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
I lost the article and thank you for helping me re-find (is that a word?) it.

8 1,190
 10-10-2012, 07:02 AM
User Info
The guy summed it up perfectly:
" I could expand on what those might be but I really made the decision because they just look cool. "

And this is why I'd end up going this route ad well... some day...

6 808
 10-15-2012, 05:38 AM
User Info
Well an open razor is certainly the minimalist route. I used one for decades and all you need is razor, hone, strop, brush, soap and you're set for life. Except for occasionally replacing the soap of course, and if you live long enough, the brush.

0 500