08-27-2012, 10:23 AM
User Info
Been rotating between my 40's superspeed, red tip superspeed, and a Merkur HD for the past 6 months or so, and I think it's about time I see what this open comb business is all about.

I want to buy a new razor, and I think I've gotten it narrowed down to a Muhle R41 (2011 head) or a Fatip. Does anyone have any advice about which I should go with? I plan on being able to pair it up with a UFO handle to be determined later. On that note, if I go with a Fatip, would nickel plated or chrome plated match better with the UFO handle?

If anyone has any great pics to help persuade me, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for the help.

2 121
 08-27-2012, 10:38 AM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Ryan simply put you need both and a ufo handle

R41 holds the blade flat and is very aggressive some find it harsh but i enjoy using it and the UFO Kaiser feels made for it!!

Dont have a fatip but i have a couple Joris razors (same head as fatip pretty much) lots of curvature in the blade i get just as close a shave but a lot smoother getting there. The fatip threads are a funny thing it might fit a ufo handle and it might not.

115 1,692
 08-27-2012, 10:39 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Both are more ' aggressive " than the Merkur open comb and although the R41 is a great shaver it MUST be used with a light touch and care or shall I say caution...best used when you have time and are not distracted. The Fatip and Joris are quite similar except for the build quality i.e. COST so the Fatip standard finish is quite nice...you could call it basic.Personally I would try a Merkur Progress before either of these unless you just like to collect razors...a better shaver than either and possibly the best easiest shaver out there...mind you just my personal opinion..have fun.

6 1,913
 08-27-2012, 10:41 AM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
[Image: c898a3ccfa0c3fa77d8656b747a2519a.jpg]
[Image: 1df733c1a6d442cb299fd4cbb98d8e04.jpg]

(08-27-2012, 10:39 AM)Harvey Wrote: Both are more ' aggressive " than the Merkur open comb and although the R41 is a great shaver it MUST be used with a light touch and care or shall I say caution...best used when you have time and are not distracted. The Fatip and Joris are quite similar except for the build quality i.e. COST so the Fatip standard finish is quite nice...you could call it basic.Personally I would try a Merkur Progress before either of these unless you just like to collect razors...a better shaver than either and possibly the best easiest shaver out there...mind you just my personal opinion..have fun.

Great suggestion the progress is one of my favorite razors also

115 1,692
 08-27-2012, 10:48 AM
User Info
IMO, they're not magical, it's just a different sort of comb. I like that more lubricating leather gets through to the blade.

I'm unsure about the Merkur HD, but the other razors are no where near the R41 in aggressiveness. So as long as you're prepared for that go for it. You can't possibly imagine how aggressive the R41 is, nor can I describe it. Before I tackled the '11 R41 I made sure I could handle the Slim set to 9 reliably. Yes, I trained for it.

There are other open combs that will be somewhat similar to what you're using now. The vintage Gillette Single Ring, OLD, and NEW short and long combs would be maybe a hair more aggressive than your present Gillettes and all have open combs.

While technically not open combs, the closed comb single edge razors are as much open combs as the R41 is. But you won't be able to join the BOTOC club if that's important. A GEM Damaskeen is near to what you're currently using in aggressiveness, maybe a hair more aggressive, and there is an open comb Damaskeene if you can find one. Or a Valet VC1 would also be a good choice, and it'll take the much less pricey modified GEM blades instead of the Feather SE blades.

32 6,308
 08-27-2012, 10:54 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
If you get a Fatip or an R41, you'd best be ready to pay even closer attention to your shave than you have before. Both razors require concentration or they will bite you. I'd recommend starting out on a Merkur Open Comb or a Vintage Open Comb. You should be able to get one fairly cheap and make sure you like them first.

116 3,804
 08-27-2012, 10:55 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
This is a TP01 from shaveabuck.com it shaves exactly like and has a very similar head as the Fatip/Joris but is much cheaper and well made.

[Image: Cadet001.jpg]

100 12,438
 08-27-2012, 10:58 AM
  • P Funk
  • I can only carry 50 chickens at a time
  • Bay Area, NorCal
User Info
They are both fantastic shavers - 2 of my favorites.
I do have a red tip (but have never used a 40s SS) and have used Merkur HDs (the open comb ones as well).

I find that the R41 and Fatip give me shaves that I could not get with the Merkur HDs (long combs included) unless I made 37 passes.

In my opinion, the 2 razors you mentioned are on the other side of the aggressiveness spectrum from a Merkur HD. The red tip is closer but still no where near the R41 + Fatip in terms of aggressiveness.

If you are getting BBS shaves with an HD, perhaps a different open comb (Merkur OCs are milder) would work for you as well. A vintage NEW is the first open comb I tried. I loved it. It is milder than either the Muhle or Fatip. Just something to keep in mind when you make your decision.

I have a thick, coarse beard so the R41, Fatip and Progress are the only DEs I've tried that can give me a BBS (or close to it) with just a normal amount of passes. I started with EJ89 and really liked it but after I figured out what I was doing and other razor options out there, there was no way it was staying my rotation.

If you do decide to go with the R41 or Fatip, you will be getting a high quality whisker whacker machine!

19 591
 08-27-2012, 11:48 AM
User Info
You guys have me second guessing now. What about the Merkur 1906? I also don't want to just buy something mild, use it for a few weeks, then want something more aggressive, which is why I was leaning toward the Fatip/R41.

2 121
 08-27-2012, 12:23 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
(08-27-2012, 11:48 AM)FlyingCostello Wrote: You guys have me second guessing now. What about the Merkur 1906? I also don't want to just buy something mild, use it for a few weeks, then want something more aggressive, which is why I was leaning toward the Fatip/R41.

I say dont be afraid of either you have been shaving for a while use no pressure you might get a little razor burn worst case scenario. I say go for it

115 1,692
 08-27-2012, 01:00 PM
User Info
The FaTip is part of my regular rotation, a damn fine razor. I had owned all three types of R41's, the 2009. 2010 and 2011.

IMO the 2011 R41 is not for everyone, what is why you see so many for sale on every forum you may visit. I used one for a month and just found it far to aggressive for my face, and I like aggressive razors.

I am still a strong believer that any razor is nothing more than a tool and without being loaded with the proper blade, or having a proper lather, the tool itself does not matter so much. I can get a great shave from a Tech or the FaTip, but admittedly, I can do it in less passes with the FaTip.

As Jerry (Slantman) has suggested above, look at the new Cadet line from Shave a Buck, especially if you plan on ordering a UFO handle. It is far cheaper to pay $12.00 for an Open Comb head than $40 for a razor that you plan on tossing the handle on.

I just received my Cadet today while I am at work, so I will be taking for a spin tonight.

As others have suggested, both an Old Type and the NEW are great choices. Also, as Brian suggested, the OCMM is very good single edge open comb, many prefer it over any other open comb they own.

I think that the Merkur Model 41 (1904 Open Comb) would be far to mild for you if you are looking for an aggressive razor.

Good luck in your quest.

5 833
 08-27-2012, 02:14 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(08-27-2012, 01:00 PM)Azarius Wrote: The FaTip is part of my regular rotation, a damn fine razor. I had owned all three types of R41's, the 2009. 2010 and 2011.

IMO the 2011 R41 is not for everyone, what is why you see so many for sale on every forum you may visit. I used one for a month and just found it far to aggressive for my face, and I like aggressive razors.

I am still a strong believer that any razor is nothing more than a tool and without being loaded with the proper blade, or having a proper lather, the tool itself does not matter so much. I can get a great shave from a Tech or the FaTip, but admittedly, I can do it in less passes with the FaTip.

As Jerry (Slantman) has suggested above, look at the new Cadet line from Shave a Buck, especially if you plan on ordering a UFO handle. It is far cheaper to pay $12.00 for an Open Comb head than $40 for a razor that you plan on tossing the handle on.

I just received my Cadet today while I am at work, so I will be taking for a spin tonight.

As others have suggested, both an Old Type and the NEW are great choices. Also, as Brian suggested, the OCMM is very good single edge open comb, many prefer it over any other open comb they own.

I think that the Merkur Model 41 (1904 Open Comb) would be far to mild for you if you are looking for an aggressive razor.

Good luck in your quest.

Never would I recommend this razor to a newbie to open combs. These OCMMs are face eaters for some and can have a large learning curve. If you are curious, then go back to it after you have some experience with other OC razors.

Gillette Old Style and Gillette NEW (both long and short comb) would be good ways to start out with open comb razors.

2 11,211
 08-27-2012, 02:33 PM
  • daccpa
  • Weber fanboy
  • Middle Tennessee
User Info
(08-27-2012, 02:14 PM)freddy Wrote: Never would I recommend this razor to a newbie to open combs. These OCMMs are face eaters for some and can have a large learning curve. If you are curious, then go back to it after you have some experience with other OC razors.

Gillette Old Style and Gillette NEW (both long and short comb) would be good ways to start out with open comb razors.

I'd have to disagree with you Freddy but again YMMV, I started with DE89 about 10 months ago, moved to the Weber about 3 months ago (vast improvement) and for the past month nothing but FATTIP!. No other open combs in between. No nicks, no weepers, nothing but a relaxing BBS everydang time.

Have two of the Grande's now (just had to get the gold one) and also got the Piccolo, great value razors and I think there's one in the BST right now if the OP is interested.

Just this guy's opinion though.

18 281
 08-27-2012, 09:05 PM
User Info
Ryan, i would recommend the older type of open-combs, but if you want to go ahead, i would highly suggest the FaTip before the R41 as the R41 is not a smooth shaver. Either you like it or you do not; either you pay attention or you get nicked. i am not trying to scare you, but it is a very, very effective razor that differs from most other DEs. The FaTip will be more forgiving. Good luck.

75 20,883
 08-27-2012, 09:11 PM
User Info
(08-27-2012, 02:14 PM)freddy Wrote: Never would I recommend this razor to a newbie to open combs. These OCMMs are face eaters for some and can have a large learning curve. If you are curious, then go back to it after you have some experience with other OC razors.

...and the FaTip and 2011 R41 is not a "face eater"? There has been far more blood loss from the two he is looking at than the OCMM, at least in my opinion. I actually find the OCMM to be mild next to either of the razors he is looking into acquiring.

The old type, especially the 102 head with he thinner cap is an aggressive razor.

I agree, a NEW is almost the perfect Open Comb to start with, but I also think that after six months of shaving under his belt, that he should have good enough technique to use and DE or SE without an issue. I has an R41 within a month after returning to classic shaving. I strongly believe that an aggressive razor can almost force one to improve their technique, as you will ay far greater attention to your stokes, blade angle, etc.

Ultimately a person is going to buy what they want, and with the hype always going to the FaTip and R41, the new DE shaver is drawn to those two.

Just my opinion.

5 833
 08-28-2012, 10:03 AM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
Sounds like it would be hard to go wrong with a Cadet or Gillette NEW; particularly if you are wanting to "test the waters" before spending a fair amount more.

29 466
 09-01-2012, 05:01 PM
User Info
For those interested, I ended up grabbing the Fatip Grande that was available on BST. It arrived in the mail yesterday, and I used it for the first time today.

I took my time and paid more attention to what I was doing than I used to. It made me realize how much I had started shaving on autopilot since getting used to using a DE. Loaded with a first use Super Iridium, it took no pressure at all and I got a fantastic shave. No nicks or cuts, and only a couple light stings when applying aftershave. Looking forward to getting to know this razor better.

2 121
 09-01-2012, 05:20 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
I think new people reading the Fatip hype and buying it as the first OC DE is why there's so many showing up on bst lol glad it worked out so well for you Ryan.. keep at it and it can become a very rewarding shave. Specialty if you bank three days stubble growth to throw at it

3 748
 09-01-2012, 05:20 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Nice choice glad you are getting allong with itCool

115 1,692
 09-08-2012, 03:38 PM
User Info
First post in the nook.

I just recently added OCs to my rotation. First a Gillette NEW. Great razor and always nice to have at least one vintage to know what us all the talk about. My wife commented that it was the perfect shave to date. It is also nice to use a piece tat was made nit later than the forties..
I just had my second shave with the Cadet TP-02. It is much more aggressive but nothing dangerous, just very efficient that gets 85% of the job done on the first pass. Great handle as well and it is hefty and all around fun to use. I am not sure I'd use it daily because it might be a tad too aggressive for my beard growth rate.
For daily shaver, I think the NEW is going to be the one.

I noticed that mind blades like Lord Platinum that worked great for me in my closed comb razors were not a good match to OC. Intact, even Astra SP didn't cut it. I got much better result with the Gillette Blacks.

Cheers,

6 808