02-27-2018, 12:29 AM
User Info
Had my first shave with mine and used the recommend Feather blade. Wasn’t sure about what setting to start with but I do prefer more efficient Razors so I started on setting 4. Had 3 days growth so a good challenge for the Sailor. Using my skin stretch technique I did my ATG 1st pass and I have to say it was a very smooth pass with a decent amount of audio feedback and just enough blade feel which made finding the correct angle easy to find. The razor & blade had no problem taking down my substantial growth and at the end of the 1st pass I’d say I was at a DFS. Next pass I went XTG ear to nose again using my skin stretching technique and at the end of the 2nd pass I was BBS smooth on my face and I just needed a buffing pass on my trouble spots on my neck to match my face for a nice complete BBS shave. FYI on the buffing pass I knocked the setting down to 3 on the dial.
So as a comparison I’d say this Adjustable gave me a smoother and more efficient shave than the Rex I tested for a friend/member and this razor has a much nicer finish and blade alignment was spot on.
As far as putting the blade in and taking it out I found it easy to just put the top cap on a towel and put a little pressure while screaming on the handle. Using the Feather the numbers on the dial lines up perfectly as opposed to when I tried to put a Polsilver in which I believe is because of the thickness of the blade.
Also had no problem with handle length or slipping and overall the Sailor felt good in my hand.
Great first shave.

0 232
 02-27-2018, 12:32 AM
User Info
(02-27-2018, 12:29 AM)Wanderer66 Wrote: Had my first shave with mine and used the recommend Feather blade. Wasn’t sure about what setting to start with but I do prefer more efficient Razors so I started on setting 4. Had 3 days growth so a good challenge for the Sailor. Using my skin stretch technique I did my ATG 1st pass and I have to say it was a very smooth pass with a decent amount of audio feedback and just enough blade feel which made finding the correct angle easy to find. The razor & blade had no problem taking down my substantial growth and at the end of the 1st pass I’d say I was at a DFS. Next pass I went XTG ear to nose again using my skin stretching technique and at the end of the month ass I was BBS smooth on my face and I just needed a buffing pass on my trouble spots on my neck to match my face for a nice complete BBS shave. FYI on the buffing pass I knocked the setting down to 3 on the dial.
So as a comparison I’d say this Adjustable gave me a smoother and more efficient shave than the Rex I tested for a friend/member and this razor has a much nicer finish and blade alignment was spot on.
As far as putting the blade in and taking it out I found it easy to just put the top cap on a towel and put a little pressure while screaming on the handle. Using the Feather the numbers on the dial lines up perfectly as opposed to when I tried to put a Polsilver in which I believe is because of the thickness of the blade.
Also had no problem with handle length or slipping and overall the Sailor felt good in my hand.
Great first shave.
Nice review. I feel the same way you do and really think that this is now the best adjustable razor on the market. the Rex is a nice razor but this was smoother and more efficient for me

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

26 777
 02-27-2018, 06:26 AM
User Info
(02-27-2018, 12:32 AM)rawfox1 Wrote:
(02-27-2018, 12:29 AM)Wanderer66 Wrote: Had my first shave with mine and used the recommend Feather blade. Wasn’t sure about what setting to start with but I do prefer more efficient Razors so I started on setting 4. Had 3 days growth so a good challenge for the Sailor. Using my skin stretch technique I did my ATG 1st pass and I have to say it was a very smooth pass with a decent amount of audio feedback and just enough blade feel which made finding the correct angle easy to find. The razor & blade had no problem taking down my substantial growth and at the end of the 1st pass I’d say I was at a DFS. Next pass I went XTG ear to nose again using my skin stretching technique and at the end of the month ass I was BBS smooth on my face and I just needed a buffing pass on my trouble spots on my neck to match my face for a nice complete BBS shave. FYI on the buffing pass I knocked the setting down to 3 on the dial.
Great first shave.
Nice review. I feel the same way you do and really think that this is now the best adjustable razor on the market.  the Rex is a nice razor but this was smoother and more efficient for me

Yep the only adjustable that can give it a challenge shave wise in my opinion is my Gibbs #17 which when I did a side by side comparison with the Rex on another forum I found the Gibbs not only more efficient but a smoother shaver. In all fairness that particular Rex had alignment issues, a burr on the underside of baseplate and the safety bars had different gaps and the Pins were not in alignment which results in what some call the Toggle tilt. So with that said I'm going to do a side by side comparison and if the Sailor can top the Gibbs #17 then I'll be glad to name it the champ of the adjustables.

0 232
 02-27-2018, 09:44 AM
User Info
Wanderer66,

I have both the Gibbs and the REX, both without any issues. I only had one, my first shave with the REX yesterday and I have to say I was impressed by everything about it. Even the clamping of the blade on the top cap is more secure than anything I have tried so far. I didn't do a side by side comparison, but I soon will. I remember the Gibbs not being as smooth, but more efficient on the highest setting, albeit the Gibbs highest setting is too aggressive for me, YMMV.  This of-course is from what I can recall from the last time I used the Gibbs a few months ago. As you have honestly atated, the REX had mechanical problems in areas that we all know affect the shave in a negative way and for this the REX has had a few negative reviews. From December 2017 though (M series onwards) all the problems have been ironed out.

0 447
 02-28-2018, 05:31 AM
User Info
(02-27-2018, 09:44 AM)kyproset Wrote: Wanderer66,

I have both the Gibbs and the REX, both without any issues. I only had one, my first shave with the REX yesterday and I have to say I was impressed by everything about it. Even the clamping of the blade on the top cap is more secure than anything I have tried so far. I didn't do a side by side comparison, but I soon will. I remember the Gibbs not being as smooth, but more efficient on the highest setting, albeit the Gibbs highest setting is too aggressive for me, YMMV.  This of-course is from what I can recall from the last time I used the Gibbs a few months ago. As you have honestly atated, the REX had mechanical problems in areas that we all know affect the shave in a negative way and for this the REX has had a few negative reviews. From December 2017 though (M series onwards) all the problems have been ironed out.

I would certainly hope yours was trouble free having had it shipped to Frank @ Frugal Shave for a video review prior to it getting to you!! Especially being that it has been a problematic razor from the onset. Not many good things have been said about it since its release!! Shame really...

3 111
 02-28-2018, 10:58 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I’ve owned a few Rocnel razors and so far this is my favorite. 

I have big hands and was concerned about the shorter length. Turns out not to be an issue. It’s well balanced, sufficiently thick and the knurling performs its function. 

I’ve tried Kai, Polsilver and Feather blades. Not surprisingly the Feathers worked the best as this head was designed for the Feather blade. 

I needed no higher than a “3” setting to achieve a smooth, efficient shave. Even “2” was sufficient and smooth, so the 1-5 setting should cover most beards. 

For an adjustable, the head holds the blade very secure, and blade alignment appears dead on. 

All in all a very well made and attractive adjustable to add to your den. Highly recommended, especially if you are a fan of feather blades.

172 1,540
 02-28-2018, 12:36 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
(02-28-2018, 05:31 AM)MikeL Wrote:
(02-27-2018, 09:44 AM)kyproset Wrote: Wanderer66,

I would certainly hope yours was trouble free having had it shipped to Frank @ Frugal Shave for a video review prior to it getting to you!! Especially being that it has been a problematic razor from the onset. Not many good things have been said about it since its release!! Shame really...

I've read lots of good things about the REX and have posted positive things. Mine is beautiful and shaves like a dream.

61 861
 03-05-2018, 06:43 AM
User Info
2nd shave with the Sailor and I find it to be one of the best adjustable razors in my den along with my Gibbs #17 and Schick Type M adjustable with the Japanese Twins in it. It likes Feather blades and they work great in the Sailor so no need to use any other blade for me. Used max setting and it was still smooth and yet efficient and then went down to setting 3 for the final two passes which lead to a very nice BBS shave.

0 232
 03-07-2018, 06:43 PM
User Info
Still getting great results from mine. Definitely the smoothest adjustable I’ve used to date and a sharp looker. [Image: 5c50af6dd4a95aa9ed5630b77ae31cb8.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 222
 03-18-2018, 02:11 PM
User Info
I see there is one up on THAT auction site. Surprised me as there seems to be very positive reviews. Is it because this is the first one that doesnt have the brass ring?

12 261
 03-23-2018, 10:12 AM
  • motto
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
User Info
Seems that Bullgoose has some Sailor Series razors available right now.

9 329
 03-26-2018, 10:01 AM
User Info
No Sailor razors available at 2pm EDT on Monday.  One for sale on THAT auction site.

3 98
 05-11-2018, 07:20 AM
User Info
I just saw that Bullgoose has the Rocnel Sailor Adjustable in stock right now.

Coincidentally, I just finished a great week with this razor.  I have nothing but good things to say.  The construction and machining are impeccable.  Although the adjustment dial is infinitely adjustable, once set, it stays spot on throughout the shave.  I used the same Personna Med Prep all week.  The blade gaps and exposure were perfect, and it set to Level 1 exactly when tightened together with a blade installed.

Day 1:  I like aggressive razors, but I started on Level 3 (of 5).  Almost a perfect shave.  I was impressed with the smoothness and came very close to an effortless BBS shave.

Day 2:  Went to Level 4, and got a beautifully smooth BBS shave.

Day 3:  Tried Level 5.  A bit too aggressive (even for me).  It was sufficiently blade-forward that I found myself being overly careful and didn't get quite as good a shave.

Day 4:  Went to Level 3.5.  Perfect.  So I stuck with that for the rest of the week, and I couldn't get a less-than-perfect shave.

These things are expensive.  But this is one of those $400 razors where I can really see the value.  Engineering, manufacturing, materials, function.  All very impressive.  Now one of my very favorite razors.  It's up there with the best.  You want mild?  You can have mild.  You want wild?  It's got that too.  Amazing razor.

15 281
 05-11-2018, 08:10 AM
User Info
Any of you that have the new Sailor also own the B&R Adjustable or the newest version of the Rex? If so, please compare. I own the B&R Adjustable in silver and in black and I ordered the Rex off of the DFS group buy and should have it sometime after the 17th. Wondering if I should drop another $400 on this one. I absolutely love my B&R Adjustables and love the looks of them with the brass rings. Thoughts?

3 1,158
 05-11-2018, 09:04 AM
User Info
I owned the Sailor and Rex adjustable razor but not the B & R. I enjoyed the Sailor more than the Rex I found it smoother and probably better build quality. This is not to say the Rex is not good quality because it is excellent but overall the Sailor I felt shaved better and was built better but it's also over $100 more and with the group by it's more like $200 more. I have heard that the Sailor is similar to the B&R but haven't heard any feedback of the differences yet.
(05-11-2018, 08:10 AM)gmhjr06 Wrote: Any of you that have the new Sailor also own the B&R Adjustable or the newest version of the Rex? If so, please compare. I own the B&R Adjustable in silver and in black and I ordered the Rex off of the DFS group buy and should have it sometime after the 17th. Wondering if I should drop another $400 on this one. I absolutely love my B&R Adjustables and love the looks of them with the brass rings. Thoughts?

26 777
 05-11-2018, 09:24 AM
User Info
(05-11-2018, 09:04 AM)rawfox1 Wrote: I owned the Sailor and Rex adjustable razor but not the B & R. I enjoyed the Sailor more than the Rex I found it smoother and probably better build quality. This is not to say the Rex is not good quality because it is excellent but overall the Sailor I felt shaved better and was built better but it's also over $100 more and with the group by it's more like $200 more. I have heard that the Sailor is similar to the B&R but haven't heard any feedback of the differences yet.
(05-11-2018, 08:10 AM)gmhjr06 Wrote: Any of you that have the new Sailor also own the B&R Adjustable or the newest version of the Rex? If so, please compare. I own the B&R Adjustable in silver and in black and I ordered the Rex off of the DFS group buy and should have it sometime after the 17th. Wondering if I should drop another $400 on this one. I absolutely love my B&R Adjustables and love the looks of them with the brass rings. Thoughts?

How old was your Rex? Matt improved massively on the original design and I have heard really good things about it. That’s why I went ahead and purchased it through the group buy. Matt posted a video on YouTube and on one of the Rex threads and went detail by detail on the changes and improvements that were made. I really liked how he did that and how he listened to people about certain issues. Of course the proof is in the pudding and I’ll know when I get it. Apparently there are over 60 people to date that have purchased through this group buy so a ton of people will have the new version of the Rex and many, including me, will post their impressions of it. Fingers crossed!

3 1,158
 05-11-2018, 09:27 AM
User Info
(05-11-2018, 09:24 AM)gmhjr06 Wrote:
(05-11-2018, 09:04 AM)rawfox1 Wrote: I owned the Sailor and Rex adjustable razor but not the B & R. I enjoyed the Sailor more than the Rex I found it smoother and probably better build quality. This is not to say the Rex is not good quality because it is excellent but overall the Sailor I felt shaved better and was built better but it's also over $100 more and with the group by it's more like $200 more. I have heard that the Sailor is similar to the B&R but haven't heard any feedback of the differences yet.

How old was your Rex? Matt improved massively on the original design and I have heard really good things about it. That’s why I went ahead and purchased it through the group buy. Matt posted a video on YouTube and on one of the Rex threads and went detail by detail on the changes and improvements that were made. I really liked how he did that and how he listened to people about certain issues. Of course the proof is in the pudding and I’ll know when I get it. Apparently there are over 60 people to date that have purchased through this group buy so a ton of people will have the new version of the Rex and many, including me, will post their impressions of it. Fingers crossed!

By the way, I held off on purchasing the Rex because of several quality control issues that came up that I read about so hopefully after all of that negative press, Matt has made changes for the better.

3 1,158
 05-11-2018, 09:55 AM
User Info
(05-11-2018, 09:24 AM)gmhjr06 Wrote:

The Rex I owned was not the oldest original ones and it wasn't the newest ones it was right before. The only problem I had with the Rex is it did not Glide as smooth as the other razors I own

26 777
 05-11-2018, 11:07 AM
User Info
Got it. It has some big shoes to fill for me against my B&R’s but I am willing to give it a try at the price that Matt offered on the group buy.

3 1,158
 05-11-2018, 11:33 AM
User Info
(05-11-2018, 11:07 AM)gmhjr06 Wrote: Got it. It has some big shoes to fill for me against my B&R’s but I am willing to give it a try at the price that Matt offered on the group buy.

I look forward to your feedback on the Rex compared to your other razors. For me the Rex did not shave me better and smoother than my favorites Paradigm Ti 1&2, 17-4, Timeless. 95, Charcoal Goods L2&3, Tatara, Rocnel Elite 2.0, Pils

26 777