10-02-2017, 02:59 PM
User Info
Hello

I would really want to try a straight razor. but there i live there is not much help to get sharpening and honing. that is why i have been looking at parker shavette, and if like may go to a artist club.
i know everybody says there is lot of difference between a straight and shavette. But there do the artist club stand is what mix. and what is difference of the SS and dx

0 43
 10-02-2017, 04:07 PM
  • eengler
  • Emeritus
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Based on my experience if you are looking to closely match a straight shave go with the Feather Artist Club Razors and Blades. There are some subtle design and material differences that set the Artist Club SS Series apart from the DX Series. The DX has a heavier stainless steel adding some heft. The DX also has a variety of grip materials available. The SS is a lighter stainless steel and has a slightly different shaped head profile that is more bulbous adding some safety. I personally prefer the DX in a Kamisori style handle and would recommend using the Feather Pro Guard Blades while learning.

Good luck! They provide an excellent shave.

68 5,619
 10-02-2017, 05:14 PM
User Info
I have the artist club SS kamisori and I like it a lot.  I don't have experience with the other options so take that for what it is worth.  It is well made, feels good in the hand and handles well.  I also like the AC blades generally both in the feather as well as in razors like the Rx and Cobra.

23 1,938
 10-03-2017, 03:15 AM
  • Johnny
  • Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I enjoy the SS Kamisori and I use KIA mile blades in mine.  In either case, the Feather Razor of your choice is better than a Shavette.

189 26,351
 10-03-2017, 03:24 AM
User Info
The AC was where I began on my journey to straight razors.  I used both the Kamisori and the folder and although the Kamisori was a fantastic razor I preferred the folding AC as it felt better in the hand and was more of a parallel product to a traditional straight.  Although I never tried the Parker I have tried other shavettes.  In my opinion the AC products are the way to go.  So much so that I am hunting for another one for those days where I don't want to strop a razor and just want to get to it and get the job done.

I agree you should go with the Pro Guard Blades which  require a good amount of caution, but are not as wicked sharp as the other blade offerings from Feather.

6 225
 10-04-2017, 09:16 PM
User Info
I have order a SS, let hop i don't cut myself to bad..

0 43
 10-06-2017, 06:38 PM
User Info
Straight razors are more forgiving than they are made out to be , slick lather and keeping the blade moving in the right direction is all that is needed for a great shave.

88 1,828
 10-09-2017, 03:48 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
In my experience, straights are not nearly as sharp as disposable blades (more forgiving of mistakes).  Even a full hollow straight is still thicker than a disposable and thus needs a larger angle for the edge.  If your beard in not difficult to cut,  a straight will provide a very nice shave.  If you have a very tough beard, a straight will be a challenge.  There is no major difference in technique between an AC and a straight other than the angle of the razor on your face (the AC takes a smaller angel).  If you can shave with one you can shave with the other.  The difference is how difficult your beard is to cut.

Good luck.

19 574
 10-09-2017, 10:49 PM
User Info
Okay thanks I have pretty tough beard. That was one of the reasons I wanted to try a AC I have order one with the guard blades

0 43