10-12-2017, 12:43 PM
User Info
I bought it too, if the amalgamant is anywhere near the EL-Jefe, it rocks.

0 313
 10-12-2017, 02:02 PM
User Info
Purchased mine with a bamboo handle to replicate my first ever razor I bought after discovering was having. A P2B ikon. Will certainly be a trip back to those exciting times when my first items were arriving in the post. Perhaps I need to go grab a tube of bigelow and a CH3 in super to round out the exact experience.

63 1,596
 10-12-2017, 05:35 PM
User Info
I ordered the SBS.  Looking forward to trying it out.  Thanks for the heads up!

19 1,788
 10-12-2017, 05:41 PM
User Info
I ordered the head only. Looks to be a steal at $30. Between this and the new Mamba for $50, should be an interesting week for razors. To top it off, the new General in stainless steel for $64. Can’t beat these prices this week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 951
 10-12-2017, 06:48 PM
User Info
I ordered the head only, as well.  Got a notice that it has shipped already. Wow, that was fast!

2 1,550
 10-13-2017, 08:51 AM
User Info
(10-12-2017, 05:41 PM)gmhjr06 Wrote: I ordered the head only.  Looks to be a steal at $30.  Between this and the new Mamba for $50, should be an interesting week for razors.  To top it off, the new General in stainless steel for $64.  Can’t beat these prices this week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This week was a big week for razor releases.  Compared to even a few years ago the options on the hardware front seem endless.  Good for us!

19 1,788
 10-13-2017, 11:13 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Ordered one!

19 753
 10-13-2017, 12:38 PM
User Info
Thanks for the heads up, ordered one as well.

16 696
 10-14-2017, 07:04 AM
User Info
Thanks for the information, i snagged one as well!  brian (kbh2o)

36 47
 10-14-2017, 06:26 PM
User Info
(10-12-2017, 06:48 PM)kingfisher Wrote: I ordered the head only, as well.  Got a notice that it has shipped already. Wow, that was fast!

Crazy fast!  The head arrived today!  It is heavier than I thought it would be.

2 1,550
 10-14-2017, 06:41 PM
User Info
those that receive the SBS head post some reviews and pics, thanks

0 212
 10-14-2017, 06:42 PM
User Info
Give us a report after you use it.  Looking forward to mine.  Haven't been this curious about a DE razor in a while.

19 1,788
 10-14-2017, 07:17 PM
User Info
Mine arrived today too.

I just got home really late. 

Bottom line. My initial impression is very good. I'm impressed.

It's got a good weight. Not light and not very heavy. The base plate is relatively thin. Fits into the head flush. I can see a distinct difference between the two sides. Also the open comb is angled to present the blade edge much closer to the skin I think on the more aggressive side. It looks to angle outward with the less aggressive orientation.

The finish on mine is very nice as well.

From price to speed of receiving it and even the packaging. If it shaves great too, this might be one of my most satisfying purchases of a razor in a while. I think the Barbaros and Asylum RX might be the two I'm comparing overall to this experience. Barbaros took a long time to come after paying. Asylum comes at a higher price.

I am genuinely excited to use this SBS tomorrow. Haven't had this feeling often lately. I hope my expectations for the shave aren't too high. I want it to be awesome. It looks great on the SE handle from last year. 

Looking forward to my shave in the morning!

10 1,455
 10-14-2017, 07:34 PM
User Info
(10-14-2017, 07:17 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: Mine arrived today too.

I just got home really late. 

Bottom line. My initial impression is very good. I'm impressed.

It's got a good weight. Not light and not very heavy. The base plate is relatively thin. Fits into the head flush. I can see a distinct difference between the two sides. Also the open comb is angled to present the blade edge much closer to the skin I think on the more aggressive side. It looks to angle outward with the less aggressive orientation.

The finish on mine is very nice as well.

From price to speed of receiving it and even the packaging. If it shaves great too, this might be one of my most satisfying purchases of a razor in a while. I think the Barbaros and Asylum RX might be the two I'm comparing overall to this experience. Barbaros took a long time to come after paying. Asylum comes at a higher price.

I am genuinely excited to use this SBS tomorrow. Haven't had this feeling often lately. I hope my expectations for the shave aren't too high. I want it to be awesome. It looks great on the SE handle from last year. 

Looking forward to my shave in the morning!

Just putting a blade into it and looking at it makes it seem not very promising to me.  The blade edge is so far away from the open comb side I'm not sure it will even be possible to cut hair with it. At a minimum, the angle looks like it will be completely different from one side to the other, which was not the case with the original SBS.  
I'm not sure why they didn't try to keep the shape, blade enclosure, etc similar to the original brass SBS.

2 1,550
 10-15-2017, 06:48 AM
User Info
Shave was smooth close and comfortable , all the unique feel of the original is for the most part carried over into this razor. The heavy head design is somewhat balanced out on this version by the longer heavier style of the modern bamboo handle. Blade gap and exposure is there and I found the cutting angle to be similiar to what I shave with a PILS razor. Not a bad shaver and for $30 I’m happy to own it. Fit and finish is what we are used to with the shavecraft line and I found no sharp edges at all on this razor.

63 1,596
 10-15-2017, 08:45 AM
User Info
I enjoyed my shave with it.

Not very aggressive. I agree that is a similar angle needed like using a Pils. It's more efficient than the Pils I'd say. 

I would call it mild and comfortable. On both sides. I could tell only a slight difference.

The comb side is smooth and comfortable as well.

10 1,455
 10-15-2017, 09:12 AM
User Info
(10-15-2017, 08:45 AM)bakerbarber Wrote: I enjoyed my shave with it.

Not very aggressive. I agree that is a similar angle needed like using a Pils. It's more efficient than the Pils I'd say. 

I would call it mild and comfortable. On both sides. I could tell only a slight difference.

The comb side is smooth and comfortable as well.

I guess looks can be deceiving. It looked like it wouldn't shave. QC is not particularly good. Neither side of the top cap is straight. The blade looks kind of wavy. I took it to my face with a fair bit of trepidation.

Surprisingly, it shaved pretty well. To me, there was a bit more blade feel than with the original version. Also, for me, the open comb side was considerably milder than the safety bar side.  

But bottom line is that I had an uneventful two-pass shave that was dfs and no song at all from the aftershave. 

I really, really wish it were lighter. I'm trying to see if it brings anything that the original SBS doesn't already provide. I was hoping it would be a lot lighter so it would be more nimble. 

Overall, for the price a good shaver. But since I have the original brass version and I can't see much difference in terms of the shave itself, I'll probably offload this one and stick with the original. But I'll shave with it a few more times before making my decision.

2 1,550
 10-15-2017, 09:17 AM
User Info
I wanted to add that I don't think this razor would be a good choice for a beginner. The original version would also not be great for a rank beginner, imo.  They both provide a nice, close shave but I feel like it helps that I have a lot of experience.

Finally, whatever alloy this is made of manages to be both heavy and soft at the same time. Which means that although it doesn't feel at all like aluminum, I think it would be easy to strip the threads if one is not careful.

2 1,550
 10-16-2017, 06:27 AM
User Info
Took a look at it again last night before bed.  The blade is actually wavy on both sides, due to irregularities in the production of the head.  Neither side of the top cap is straight, which I think I mentioned before.  

HOWEVER, I shaved with it again this morning and against all odds it once again provided a smooth and comfortable shave without any irritation and no sting from the aftershave.  I would not have thought it possible, but now I have two shaves under my belt with it and both were fine.

2 1,550
 10-16-2017, 08:57 AM
User Info
(10-16-2017, 06:27 AM)kingfisher Wrote: Took a look at it again last night before bed.  The blade is actually wavy on both sides, due to irregularities in the production of the head.  Neither side of the top cap is straight, which I think I mentioned before.  

HOWEVER, I shaved with it again this morning and against all odds it once again provided a smooth and comfortable shave without any irritation and no sting from the aftershave.  I would not have thought it possible, but now I have two shaves under my belt with it and both were fine.

Hi,

Could we get a few pictures showing the wavy blade? Is it very pronounced?

Thanks!

-- Sammy

0 5