10-19-2017, 08:50 AM
User Info
(10-18-2017, 08:17 AM)ddk13 Wrote: I got mine yesterday and took it for a run last night.  Due to the flat blade exposure I went with a shallow angle.  Although I got a great shave I wound up with a lot of weepers which is very uncharacteristic for me.  I think I'm gonna have to play around a little bit to find the correct angle for my face.

Try flipping the baseplate so that the four round indentations show on the bottom of the head.  I think it is much smoother this way.

2 1,550
 10-19-2017, 08:52 AM
User Info
I tried the original brass SBS this morning with the baseplate flipped so that the word iKon was showing beneath.  

For some reason a long time ago I decided I liked it better with SBS showing, and also that there wasn't that much difference.  Since then I have never shaved with the iKon showing until this morning.  Interestingly, this time around it actually seemed smoother with iKon showing!  

As for the new SBS, for me it is a better shaver with the four circular indentations showing.  YMMV.

2 1,550
 10-19-2017, 09:16 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
(10-19-2017, 08:52 AM)kingfisher Wrote: I tried the original brass SBS this morning with the baseplate flipped so that the word iKon was showing beneath.  

For some reason a long time ago I decided I liked it better with SBS showing, and also that there wasn't that much difference.  Since then I have never shaved with the iKon showing until this morning.  Interestingly, this time around it actually seemed smoother with iKon showing!  

As for the new SBS, for me it is a better shaver with the four circular indentations showing.  YMMV.
Thanks!  I'll give it a try on my next shave.

49 638
 10-19-2017, 09:57 AM
  • 55dougie
  • Doug Korn's Workshop - Artisan
  • NY USA
User Info
Folks, my SBS has no blade issues and I get great shaves.... It shaves more aggressive on the SB side than the OC side, IMHO.... and I use mine with the four dots showing on the bottom... I teamed mine with a RR handle, a heavy combo used with a light touch for close, smooth shaves... I like it so far.
[Image: fullsizeoutput_e5e_zpse75amfra.jpeg]

24 672
 10-19-2017, 10:12 AM
User Info
(10-19-2017, 09:57 AM)55dougie Wrote: Folks, my SBS has no blade issues and I get great shaves.... It shaves more aggressive on the SB side than the OC side, IMHO.... and I use mine with the four dots showing on the bottom... I teamed mine with a RR handle, a heavy combo used with a light touch for close, smooth shaves... I like it so far.
[Image: fullsizeoutput_e5e_zpse75amfra.jpeg]

Yep.  SB side definitely more aggressive.  Look at the blade exposure from the side of the razor head and you'll immediately see why.  

For me, much smoother with the four circular indentations SHOWING.

2 1,550
 10-20-2017, 11:03 AM
User Info
Second shave in.  Still enjoying it.  This time I loaded the baseplate with circular indents facing up.  Not as close of a shave as I like with three passes, but a good shave nonetheless.  I agree the SB is more aggressive than the OC, and it seems that the baseplate with the circular indents facing down is more aggressive than when facing up.  Do I have that right?  I'd like to get a longer handle for it as well to balance out the weight of the head and the width of the head.

[Image: nQzAMsG.jpg]

[Image: 7xTdZf7.jpg]

19 1,788
 10-20-2017, 01:05 PM
User Info
[Image: 4h65X9g.jpg]

2nd shave with the iKon SBS today. Once again, I got a great shave. This time I tried it with the baseplate not showing the four circular indentations. Very smooth. I think I need a few more shaves to decide which side I like the best. Both seem to work very well.

-- Sammy

0 5
 10-21-2017, 07:21 PM
User Info
Shaved with the new SBS today and I was extremely impressed with this razor. I used it with the 4 circles facing down and it gave me an extremely smooth 2.5 pass BBS with no nicks or any irritation. Used a Voskhod blade that is on it’s third use and I was very impressed with the Shave. I’m using the SE handle that I got with my El Jefe which is an identical match for the new SBS. I will try to shave with my S3S next to make some comparisons but for now, this razor head is a steel at $40!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 951
 10-30-2017, 06:10 AM
User Info
Just wanted to update everybody about my experiences.   Greg was nice enough to exchange the faulty head I had earlier; the new head is perfect.  No wavy blade, no unevenness of the top cap.  He was also kind enough to throw in a Tuckaway handle, which is beautiful.  

I've shaved with the new head several times and it provides a very close, comfortable two-pass shave without any problems at all.  For me this new head is smooth regardless of which way you flip the baseplate.  It's going to take me a few more shaves to decide which way I like it best, but it is very good either way.  

For the price this razor is a steal.  It shaves well above its price point.  Even at its mildest I'd say it is mid-aggressive.  The weight probably has something to do with that.  The SB side is definitely more aggressive than the OC side, which is mild.  I may even consider trying a shave in which I use the SB side for the first pass and then use the OC side for the second pass, so I could use it kind of like turning down an adjustable razor between passes.  I may try that soon. 

But the bottom line is that this is a really nice razor and it produces a very close shave.

2 1,550
 11-01-2017, 10:35 AM
User Info
So I tried a couple of new things this morning and it worked out really well.  First, I had been using this head with a UFO Titan Fine L handle.  This morning I used a Kaiser instead.  The Kaiser is slightly shorter and slightly smaller in girth, but it weighs considerably more, since it is made of stainless steel instead of titanium.  I thought, because the head was heavy, that the titanium would be better, but I think with the Kaiser it balanced better, which made it smoother.  

The second thing I did is to utilize the difference in aggression between the SB and OC sides by shaving the first pass entirely with the SB side, and then doing the second pass entirely with the OC side.  This worked beautifully, just like turning down an adjustable.  

It is remarkable to me how much difference there is between the SB side and the OC side.  On the original SBS they seemed almost identical.  This head gives more variety because the two sides are different.  I had a very smooth, comfortable DFS this morning in two passes plus touch-up.

2 1,550
 11-01-2017, 10:44 AM
User Info
(11-01-2017, 10:35 AM)kingfisher Wrote: The second thing I did is to utilize the difference in aggression between the SB and OC sides by shaving the first pass entirely with the SB side, and then doing the second pass entirely with the OC side.  This worked beautifully, just like turning down an adjustable.  

I'm going to give this a try.  Thanks.

19 1,788
 11-01-2017, 11:03 AM
User Info
(11-01-2017, 10:35 AM)kingfisher Wrote: So I tried a couple of new things this morning and it worked out really well.  First, I had been using this head with a UFO Titan Fine L handle.  This morning I used a Kaiser instead.  The Kaiser is slightly shorter and slightly smaller in girth, but it weighs considerably more, since it is made of stainless steel instead of titanium.  I thought, because the head was heavy, that the titanium would be better, but I think with the Kaiser it balanced better, which made it smoother.  

The second thing I did is to utilize the difference in aggression between the SB and OC sides by shaving the first pass entirely with the SB side, and then doing the second pass entirely with the OC side.  This worked beautifully, just like turning down an adjustable.  

It is remarkable to me how much difference there is between the SB side and the OC side.  On the original SBS they seemed almost identical.  This head gives more variety because the two sides are different.  I had a very smooth, comfortable DFS this morning in two passes plus touch-up.

Using the SB side and then the OC side works extremely well for me too. I really like this razor. I am still using it with the circles visible on the bottom. I sent them an email inquiring if they would be putting out a run of these heads in pure stainless but never heard anything back. I also asked what the combination of metals are in the current head and haven’t heard back. Anyone know?

0 951
 11-01-2017, 11:23 AM
User Info
I don't know what the current metals are.  I like the current composition.  I've had a razor or two before with the same make up.  I like the finish (I am not a polished finish kind of guy), and I think it's a touch lighter too, which I like.  YMMV of course!   Biggrin

19 1,788
 12-05-2017, 06:10 PM
User Info
I’m not a huge fan of ikon as a company but I must say that the SBS is a damn fine razor. The SB side is unbelievably smooth. I sometimes switch from other razors to the SBS for my final pass because I know it will result in BBS with zero irritation. It’s a fun, easy to use razor that will produce a beautiful, comfortable shave

0 11
 12-06-2017, 12:20 PM
User Info
(12-05-2017, 06:10 PM)Bayareashaves Wrote: I’m not a huge fan of ikon as a company but I must say that the SBS is a damn fine razor. The SB side is unbelievably smooth. I sometimes switch from other razors to the SBS for my final pass because I know it will result in BBS with zero irritation. It’s a fun, easy to use razor that will produce a beautiful, comfortable shave

Are you using it with the circles showing on the bottom of the baseplate?

2 1,550
 12-06-2017, 12:22 PM
User Info
(12-06-2017, 12:20 PM)kingfisher Wrote:
(12-05-2017, 06:10 PM)Bayareashaves Wrote: I’m not a huge fan of ikon as a company but I must say that the SBS is a damn fine razor. The SB side is unbelievably smooth. I sometimes switch from other razors to the SBS for my final pass because I know it will result in BBS with zero irritation. It’s a fun, easy to use razor that will produce a beautiful, comfortable shave

Are you using it with the circles showing on the bottom of the baseplate?

Yes I am. Am I not supposed to?

0 11
 Yesterday, 04:55 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Just got mine and I,m sure the plate with 4 circles showing is the slightly more "aggressive" side...both sides are great even with the enclosed blades (Super-Max Platinum)...which I have never used before...Using mine with the Phoenix Alpha Ecliptic aluminum handle...(also a terrific shaver and great value)...all in all...both razors ...2 great shavers and total expense 120.00...oh happy days are here again....

6 2,045
 Yesterday, 06:26 PM
User Info
(Yesterday, 04:55 PM)Harvey Wrote: Just got mine and I,m sure the plate with 4 circles showing is the slightly more "aggressive" side...both sides are great even with the enclosed blades (Super-Max Platinum)...which I have never used before...Using mine with the Phoenix Alpha Ecliptic aluminum handle...(also a terrific shaver and great value)...all in all...both razors ...2 great shavers and total expense 120.00...oh happy days are here again....

The “circles” comment is bugging me now. Has this been confirmed?? Is my entire life a lie???

0 11