10-03-2017, 06:42 PM
  • BigT
User Info
Hey guys, I just got a order in of Le Pere Lucien Oud/Santal. After reading the reviews and accolades of this soap, I was ready for an exceptional experience. Upon opening the SS tub, I got a surprise. An almost unbearable stench. I was expecting a sweet, oudy, sandalwood scent. What I got was rancid, spoiled, dead animal smell. Now, I'll admit my nose isn't what it used to be. But, after 35+ years of purchasing Oudh oil and Sandalwood oil, I kinda know what it smells like. My question... Is it possible this tub of soap went bad? I mean got spoiled, went rancid, got hot or was stored wet?  It doesn't smell like the reviews said it should or what I thought it would. I left the tub open to the air for a while but no joy.  Should I send it back or wait for a while to see if it will stabilize?  Performance was absolutely phenomenal, a real stellar shave. Just the scent doesn't cut it.

0 39
 10-03-2017, 07:09 PM
User Info
I'd reach out to Phil.  He's very responsive.  I definitely get "sweet" not "stench" out of my tub.  He is on vacation this week fyi.

23 1,938
 10-03-2017, 07:10 PM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
I've had a couple instances over the years where a soap went bad. I never determined whether it was storage, shipping manufacturing or what. In both cases the seller was quick to make good on it.

I just put both instances under the heading of "Stuff Happens."

69 2,032
 10-03-2017, 07:42 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
My guess is you got a bum tub. My LPL Oud/Santal is sublimely delicious. One of my best soap scents, and performers.

19 734
 10-03-2017, 07:52 PM
User Info
This latest run of LPL Oud Santal was released in September, so it's fresh.  I would be surprised if one tub went bad.  If there was a problem with the batch I expect we would have heard about it, and I'm not aware of other users reporting any issues.   Oud can be a polarizing scent, and there are variations among essential oils.  This combination of Oud and Sandalwood  results in a very distinctive scent.  In addition to the possibilities you mention, there is also the possibility you don't care for LPL's take on Oud.

I like this soap a lot, and have four tins from the February 2017 release.   If the issue is that you don't like the scent, it may grow on you with use.  It certainly did with me.

60 11,235
 10-04-2017, 05:22 AM
User Info
I recently had a tub of Mike's Natural go bad.  It's the first time I've experienced the problem.   Instead of the wonderful Pine and Cedar scent I was expecting I got a rancid smell that completely masked the original scent of the soap.  So it is most certainly possible, but this tub was 4 years old...

80 2,429
 10-04-2017, 05:36 AM
  • BigT
User Info
Thanks guys, I'll see if things change in a weeks time. If not, I'll reach out to Phil. Appreciate ya.

0 39
 10-04-2017, 06:19 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I find it hard to believe that a brand new soap would have 'gone bad'; this just doesn't happen.

119 19,681
 10-04-2017, 07:34 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Yes Oud-Santal is quite a sweet scent. Even the first release would be barely a year old. Cella will 'go off' on me in several months if unrefrigerated, but even then it doesn't stink, it just smells stale likely because of rancid almond oil.

Soaps and creams with almond oil can turn stale, but I've never heard of a soap that went bad, that is, decomposed.

Cheers, Steve

9 872
 10-04-2017, 07:49 AM
  • Nero
User Info
(10-04-2017, 06:19 AM)Agravic Wrote: I find it hard to believe that a brand new soap would have 'gone bad'; this just doesn't happen.

+1

99 4,196
 10-04-2017, 07:53 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
My tub of LPL O-S smells great and is a superb soap. The only "less desirable" quality I can point to is the texture, which imo is quite soft.

19 5,472
 10-05-2017, 06:54 AM
  • BigT
User Info
Well fellas I guess we can put this thread to rest. After four days of open air therapy, my LPL OS has become quite sweet and dreamy. I have no answer as to why it was funky at first, but now it's very nice.. Weird. Thanks for the constructive advice and input.

0 39
 10-05-2017, 01:19 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(10-05-2017, 06:54 AM)BigT Wrote: Well fellas I guess we can put this thread to rest. After four days of open air therapy, my LPL OS has become quite sweet and dreamy. I have no answer as to why it was funky at first, but now it's very nice.. Weird. Thanks for the constructive advice and input.

I have a tub of Stirling Unscented with Beeswax that followed the pattern you describe. A couple days with the lid off and the stink went away.

99 4,196
 10-05-2017, 01:45 PM
User Info
Interesting.  It's never happened to me, but I'm glad the LPL Oud-Santal worked out for you.  It's one of my top soaps.

60 11,235
 10-05-2017, 01:56 PM
User Info
LPL Oud Santal is now available on LPL site and a couple other European retailers.

60 2,730