10-08-2017, 09:48 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Just a note:
I will be sending this out Tuesday to the first person on the list: pbrmhl
He has sent his address to me.

Likewise, I suggest that soon you each send your address to the name ahead of you so they have that and can send without delay when ready.

62 2,914
 10-09-2017, 03:53 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
All packaged up and ready for USPS tomorrow.

Enjoy!

62 2,914
 10-09-2017, 04:03 PM
User Info
I've never used this brand...
Please add me.
Ron

0 195
 10-09-2017, 04:22 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
All set, Ron.

62 2,914
 10-10-2017, 08:58 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Sorry gents, work has been crazy today (a couple guys in my department have resigned) and I wasn't able to get out of the office at lunch and it doesn't look like I'll be out of the office tonight before the post office closes. I will definitely get it out tomorrow if I'm too late tonight.

Sorry for the initial delay.

62 2,914
 10-10-2017, 04:28 PM
User Info
(10-10-2017, 08:58 AM)Nero Wrote: Sorry gents, work has been crazy today (a couple guys in my department have resigned) and I wasn't able to get out of the office at lunch and it doesn't look like I'll be out of the office tonight before the post office closes. I will definitely get it out tomorrow if I'm too late tonight.

Sorry for the initial delay.

Please don’t apologize! Thanks for this opportunity.

10 399
 10-10-2017, 05:42 PM
User Info
(10-07-2017, 01:51 PM)Nero Wrote:
(10-07-2017, 12:47 PM)celestino Wrote:
(10-07-2017, 12:13 PM)Nero Wrote: Celestino, how does the Sweet Briar smell??
Is it a straight pipe tobacco?

Personally, I find it to be a lovely unorthodox sweet pipe-tobacco scent. 
I am not sure if you would like it, but, since it has lanolin, I don't believe you'll be able to use it.

The scent sounds lovely! Why do you say unorthodox?
You are right on the lanolin. Thank you for looking out.

Matt, I apologize for the late response. 

Unorthodox may not have been the best adjective to describe the scent and I believe 'different' would have been more appropriate.  Shy

83 21,098
 10-10-2017, 06:24 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Thanks Joe, I just was excited to get it moving.

62 2,914
 10-11-2017, 11:28 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Dropped off at the post office at lunch today... should be delivered to Scott (pbrmhl) Friday or Saturday.

62 2,914
 10-11-2017, 12:46 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
(10-11-2017, 11:28 AM)Nero Wrote: Dropped off at the post office at lunch today... should be delivered to Scott (pbrmhl) Friday or Saturday.

Thanks--I'm looking forward to it!

6 374
 10-13-2017, 01:23 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
I got the package today from Matt. I'll give one of them a try in the morning. They both smell great--but, then again, I have yet to meet a soap scent I don't like!

Thanks again, Matt.

6 374
 10-13-2017, 05:08 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(10-13-2017, 01:23 PM)pbrmhl Wrote: I got the package today from Matt. I'll give one of them a try in the morning. They both smell great--but, then again, I have yet to meet a soap scent I don't like!

Thanks again, Matt.

Scott,
Thanks for letting us know you received he package.

Glad you like the scents!!
Looking forward to your thoughts on the lather and performance. Have a nice weekend!

62 2,914
 10-14-2017, 07:34 AM
User Info
Looking forward to the reviews.  Thanks again Matt for sponsoring this.

18 1,673
 10-14-2017, 10:29 AM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
I gave Ambrosia a test drive this morning.

Some background. I bought a couple of jars of Grooming vegan soap a couple of months ago--Bonum Mane and Elan. I waited until the higher scent strength was released, and pulled the trigger based on voices on this and other forums whom I trust. I haven't tried the Elan, but I just can't get a good lather with the Bonum Mane. I've tried about half a dozen times, and have varied all the variables, e.g., loading with wetter vs. drier brush, loading time, more vs. less water, etc. Until I saw this pass-around, I had decided that either I got a bum jar or I finally met a soap I can't lather. (Haven't tried the Elan, as I don't want further disappointment.)

On to the Ambrosia. As I mentioned, I haven't met a soap scent I don't like, but of course I like some more than others. In the jar, there's a bit of an ammonia override on the pleasant floral scent. (I'm horrible at describing scents.) I had read of this phenomenon, and that the ammonia dissipates upon working up the lather. This is exactly what happened with me. The scent became very pleasant, if a bit weaker than my scent faves (Nuavia Rosso and Blu, MdC Rose and Fougere, LpL Oud Santal, any L&L, etc.)

The lather is where this soap shines for me. It's hard to imagine that Ambrosia is made by the same soap maker as Bonum Mane. Ambrosia worked up a tremendous lather, and needed a ton of water--perhaps more than all of my other soaps, and that's saying something. And the more water I added, the greater the volume of the lather. I loaded the soap with a moist, not wet, 24mm synthetic from Larry at Whipped Dog for about ten seconds. In the scuttle, I added several teaspoons of water over time, and had enough lather for four passes, easy.

I'm not good at the slickness, cushion, post-shave feel analysis, but this soap (granted, after one use) lathers like a champ in my hands. In the same league as L&L, Wholly Kaw, B&M, Eufros, Sudsy, etc.
It felt just as effective and protective as my go-to soaps.

I'm feeling some relief that either my Bonum Mane was a dud, the vegan versions don't work as well in my hands, or I simply haven't figured out the Bonum Mane lathering trick. I may end up buying some Grooming soap in tallow--we'll see, as I have three more tries!

Thanks for doing this, Matt. Big smiles from this guy this morning. Hook 'em Horns!

6 374
 10-14-2017, 05:14 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Thanks Scott for the detailed review points! I am happy to hear you're enjoying the scent and performance.

Edit: You're welcome, btw
Happy to provide!

62 2,914
 10-15-2017, 10:12 AM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
Today I tried the Credence. Upon removing the lid, I sniffed a similar sort of ammonia smell on top of the pleasant floral/citrus scent. Not a big deal, and not off-putting. Like Ambrosia, the alien scent disappears upon starting the lather process.

Like Ambrosia, the Credence lathers up like nobody's business. I'm only two shaves in with tallow Grooming soaps, but the performance is completely different from the Bonum Mane vegan soap I've got. I believe I'll write Mohammed to see if he can explain. These two tallow soaps provide perhaps the two best lathers I've ever created, effortlessly.

Two observations. One, the scent strength in these soaps could be stronger to my nose. I am a fan of strong soap scents (Nuavia, Tabac, etc.), and these are a bit mild. Second, I suspect the 4oz tubs do not last as long as others. I could be wrong, but the soap just jumps off the puck onto the brush, which means the risk of overloading is higher than normal.

Got to run to the in-laws--wife is in my ear. More later.

6 374
 10-16-2017, 12:23 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
I went back to the Ambrosia this morning. I loaded my moist Plisson synthetic for 7-10 seconds, and still had plenty of lather for four passes (although I only do two). Unlike the first time I used it, I recognized the cherry tobacco scent, and went with my Black Ship Captain's Pipe aftershave, which paired very well.

I'm sold on this tallow soap. In fact, I ordered a tub of Mallard (apparently right before they sold out). I'm going to use Ambrosia for my fourth shave tomorrow, as the scent is growing on me, and it's the only tallow still available for sale from Grooming.

@mike_the_kraken, you're next. Send me your address, and I'll get the package sent to you tomorrow.

Thanks again, Matt!

6 374