08-27-2012, 06:42 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
So how good is your shave....

BBS you say...
Zero Irritation you say...
No nicks no weepers no problem !

Well then i would like to test that, i am curious how good we really are and could use some help along the way, i have a challenge for you guys to see how good your shave really is

THE CHALLENGE

I would like to for two weeks shave, without the use of any after shave care products, yup thats it lets see how much of your great shave is you and your gear... or a proper A/S.

THE GOAL
im curious to see two things with this, one is your shave really that comfortable that you could do without,

and two, i wonder if this could help you to better your shave to get to a point where you dont need anything, but could use something

THE RULES

You can use any brush on any day that you normally would, any soap you wish and razor and blade, but i would prefer to see you use the same rotation of things you normally would so you can see for yourself how well things work or do not work for you, its a good way to see just how good some of your creams soaps, razors and blades really are as well as your own hands
now between shaves if you use any moisturizer you should keep doing so, and if you think you face is dry then do so, but not within a 4 hour period of the shave itself so you can judge how you feel afterwards

A cold water rinse would be okay directly after shave, as you do need to remove leftover lather and what not

so how about it, anyone with me ?,

mandum men need not apply

So i started with my first shave tonight, and its kind of how i came up with the idea....

Got my kent blk4, loaded a supermax blue diamon into my Old Type, applied some Dr.Dittmar and had a shave, i noticed after my shave my dittmar smelled off due to a puck i had set ontop of it and forgot about , i worked up some lather ontop to work away the other scent while i let the warm water run the stubble down the drain, i always do this for at least 30 seconds before turning it to cold for myself,... but ended up playing around with the lather working it up differently, when i noticed i didnt do my cold rinse, or apply anything so i walked away to see how long i would feel okay,.... then i typed this up

so after 20 minutes i feel the odd tiny tingle under my chin but really nothing else

but i would have to say a cold rinse would be okay, water yes products no

3 748
 08-27-2012, 06:56 PM
User Info
I'd be all in, but I'm testing a razor now and will have to send it back afterward. I had one shave a few days ago where I did a cold water rinse and nothing else, and felt fine through the day. This could help some people with technique, I bet.

2 362
 08-27-2012, 07:01 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
yeah i wouldnt try it with new things,.... well actually i would, but i wouldnt expect anyone else try it with new things,...

Oh crap i just remembered someone is sending me an R41 to try out lol ill still do it but this could end badly guess ill test my hand for real next week

btw if im only person doing it ill still post in see if there is a differentce from where i start to where i finish

3 748
 08-27-2012, 07:01 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
One of our good members, wknicholas never uses an after shave. And, he generally only uses either MWF or TABAC to lather up with one of his Semogue boar brushes. And, he generally always uses one of his vintage Schick Injector razors. I would say he pretty well has it figured out.

Me on the other hand always uses a moisturizer as I have extremely dry skin. My after shave is just used to make me smell good. My wife approves of this step.

173 23,486
 08-27-2012, 07:06 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
It depends on the soap. Some soaps I could do without a balm, others I won't. Can't take this challenge as I enjoy using balms and splashes Shy

88 4,233
 08-27-2012, 07:33 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
Lol Johnny, what's her favourite scent ?

It's okay Bear, it's just for fun or for testing yourself

3 748
 08-27-2012, 07:38 PM
User Info
Sounds interesting, but I don't want to be away from my Krampert's Finest. Good luck to you all.

31 7,912
 08-27-2012, 07:55 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
I think it's me all right now lol... this is what happeneds when you get bored and have shave stuff

3 748
 08-27-2012, 07:59 PM
User Info
I only use sunscreen after my shave.

9 2,988
 08-27-2012, 08:02 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
Really, that's a new one to me... what got you started on that

3 748
 08-27-2012, 08:08 PM
User Info
(08-27-2012, 08:02 PM)syngent Wrote: Really, that's a new one to me... what got you started on that

All the reports about skin cancer and premature face damage due to sun exposure.

I've never used aftershave.

9 2,988
 08-27-2012, 08:40 PM
User Info
(08-27-2012, 08:08 PM)asharperrazor Wrote:
(08-27-2012, 08:02 PM)syngent Wrote: Really, that's a new one to me... what got you started on that

All the reports about skin cancer and premature face damage due to sun exposure.

* Lee, you could just use unrefined organic shea butter which will probably be much better than the sunscreen as it is a natural sunscreen and moisturizer. Just a suggestion.

* James, you get the strangest ideas, my friend. i will have to pass on this, but if i get curious and try it out, i will let you know. i have no issues with doing trying this as Mystic Water and Mike's Soaps are that moisturizing that i could pull it off. Good luck.

75 20,883
 08-27-2012, 09:21 PM
User Info
By accident (old age, too much going on, whatever) I've done as you suggest and it worked out well, even with my aggressive razors. I generally figure out that I missed the splash when I'm in the vehicle, faceturbate, and release an expletive since I'm in no position to correct things.

But I prefer to use my AS for my skin.

Good luck with what you're doing.

32 6,308
 08-27-2012, 09:51 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
This is a very interesting challenge,but,with dry skin,Im afraid that I wont be able to do it unless I try what I know works the best..well,Im gonna try,at least,for a couple of days.

Good challenge,syngent!

86 7,123
 08-27-2012, 10:12 PM
User Info
(08-27-2012, 08:40 PM)celestino Wrote:
(08-27-2012, 08:08 PM)asharperrazor Wrote:

* Lee, you could just use unrefined organic shea butter which will probably be much better than the sunscreen as it is a natural sunscreen and moisturizer. Just a suggestion.

I didn't know that.... Idea

9 2,988
 08-27-2012, 11:11 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Should provide a nice challenge. For myself I already know the answer as during the extended periods we where deployed we could shave (sometimes) but where not allowed any aftershaves or whatever. Wouldn't want to smell nice in a hostile environment. There where many many shaves without soap, just plain water.

Don't miss that part now that I'm retired, plenty of soaps, creams, aftershaves, etc ... around now. I was lucky to not have sensitive skin back then, lots of guys had problems.

27 1,294
 08-28-2012, 01:49 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
This is a good idea. I'm in (till I perspire and get red blotches from no AS or balm)

116 3,804
 08-28-2012, 02:37 AM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
Well my morning after the first shave I feel fine but I've done one day before so the next couple of shaves will be the real test

3 748
 08-28-2012, 04:26 AM
User Info
I have oily skin and can go without an aftershave especially with the TFS hard soaps I've been using lately.

0 241
 08-28-2012, 06:04 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I am in. For years I didn't use any balm or after shave. So I will start Wednesday using my regular rotation razor, blade, shave brush and shave cream or soap.

100 12,436