10-08-2017, 06:05 PM
User Info
If someone has already posted this, forgive me for the duplicate PSA.  The "what is one thing you would change" thread got me thinking.  I love WSP Formula T, but absolutely hate the tins (this was a common response in that thread).  I almost PIF'd the soap, but think it is so good I thought it was worth a try to get it in another container.  That being said, I do like having the original stickers from the original soap.  So what do you do?
  • Remove the tin lid
  • Heat the inside of the tin lid with a hairdryer on the hot setting to loosen the adhesive
  • Take a pair of tweezers, and got one edge started
  • Once you get it about 1/4 of the way off, you should be able to grab it with your fingers and gently remove it
  • As you are removing, you might have to reheat the inside again to loosen the adhesive (you will feel it starting to "grab")
  • Once off, you should be able to place the sticker on a much larger plastic container (I think the trick here is to not overheat the adhesive when removing)
  • The soap is very pliable, and able to be scooped out and molded into the new container

One word of warning:  when you heat up the tin do not grab any part of it with your bare hands.  Captain Obvious I know.  Here is what the finished product looks like:

[Image: EMbHdcW.jpg]

13 523
 10-08-2017, 06:25 PM
User Info
WSP soaps are excellent, but the complaint of the tins being too small comes up regularly.  You did a very nice job transferring that label, but not everyone will have the desire or patience to go through the process.  I don't know why WSP does not change to larger tins, or at least sell the labels.

50 6,287
 10-08-2017, 06:45 PM
User Info
(10-08-2017, 06:25 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: WSP soaps are excellent, but the complaint of the tins being too small comes up regularly.  You did a very nice job transferring that label, but not everyone will have the desire or patience to go through the process.  I don't know why WSP does not change to larger tins, or at least sell the labels.

I agree 100%, those tins do not deserve that soap.

13 523
 10-08-2017, 07:27 PM
User Info
I like the WSP soaps enough that I accept the tins, but others may not be so tolerant.

50 6,287
 10-08-2017, 11:59 PM
User Info
(10-08-2017, 06:05 PM)22bulldog Wrote: If someone has already posted this, forgive me for the duplicate PSA. The "what is one thing you would change" thread got me thinking. I love WSP Formula T, but absolutely hate the tins (this was a common response in that thread). I almost PIF'd the soap, but think it is so good I thought it was worth a try to get it in another container. That being said, I do like having the original stickers from the original soap. So what do you do?
<snip>

Looks great! Have a link to that plastic container while we're on the subject?

(10-08-2017, 06:25 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: WSP soaps are excellent, but the complaint of the tins being too small comes up regularly.  You did a very nice job transferring that label, but not everyone will have the desire or patience to go through the process.  I don't know why WSP does not change to larger tins, or at least sell the labels.

I do like that Stirling sells the waterproof labels for $0.40. I wish all soap makers would do this, and not just the tin folks like WSP or Mike's; but soaps that come without containers or come as refills, like Haslinger and DR Harris.

It has me thinking about buying waterproof labels and scanning some artwork to print my own (non-commercially, of course). I just don't have the means to print color anymore (I went to B&W laser in college and never looked back, but back then I had a university printer).

6 776
 10-09-2017, 07:26 AM
User Info
(10-08-2017, 11:59 PM)Gig103 Wrote:
(10-08-2017, 06:05 PM)22bulldog Wrote: If someone has already posted this, forgive me for the duplicate PSA.  The "what is one thing you would change" thread got me thinking.  I love WSP Formula T, but absolutely hate the tins (this was a common response in that thread).  I almost PIF'd the soap, but think it is so good I thought it was worth a try to get it in another container.  That being said, I do like having the original stickers from the original soap.  So what do you do?
<snip>

Looks great! Have a link to that plastic container while we're on the subject?

If you look on the bottom of the clear containers from most of the artisans, they are Parkway Plastic containers.  Stirling is another option, as they are now selling their clear plastic containers (dont think I can link it here, but they are on their website).

Moderator Note:  Link to website not affiliated with TSN removed.

13 523
 11-07-2017, 09:50 PM
User Info
Bulldog, you inspired me to buy containers and transfer labels! I did not get the Parkway brand because they were sold out of lids, so I got some Midwest Bottles brand. They aren't as thick but they're better than the tins.  WSP gave me a label when I stopped in, but the hair dryer trick worked on Mike's, and also to get the label off the plastic wrap of Haslinger which I never had containers for previously.

[Image: viMXdD6.jpg]

[Image: wxRg3Aa.jpg]

As I tried to break up the Sandalwood I wasn't really pleased so I stopped after getting a small base at the bottom, and then left the Meeresalgen alone but at least now it's in a container instead of moving in into-and-out-of a bowl when I use it.

6 776
 11-07-2017, 10:51 PM
User Info
A grater would you fit the soap in the new container.

8 1,183
 11-08-2017, 03:13 AM
User Info
WSP is now selling 6 oz.  plastic containers you can transfer their soap into, and they'll give you any label you request.

50 6,287
 11-08-2017, 07:29 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
A grater is your friend....

Cheers, Steve

7 535
 11-08-2017, 07:49 AM
User Info
(11-07-2017, 09:50 PM)Gig103 Wrote: Bulldog, you inspired me to buy containers and transfer labels! I did not get the Parkway brand because they were sold out of lids, so I got some Midwest Bottles brand. They aren't as thick but they're better than the tins.  WSP gave me a label when I stopped in, but the hair dryer trick worked on Mike's, and also to get the label off the plastic wrap of Haslinger which I never had containers for previously.

[Image: viMXdD6.jpg]

[Image: wxRg3Aa.jpg]

As I tried to break up the Sandalwood I wasn't really pleased so I stopped after getting a small base at the bottom, and then left the Meeresalgen alone but at least now it's in a container instead of moving in into-and-out-of a bowl when I use it.

Very nice work, Gig!!

13 523
 11-08-2017, 07:32 PM
User Info
Wonderfulyl inventive. This looks SO much more convenient. Gig, how did the soap transfer for your Mike's go? 

I have O | C | P and the soap is almost up the the very edge of the tub. AMAZING from a consumer standpoint, but it would definitely be much easier to load it up if it was in a 'standard' soap container.

0 48
 11-08-2017, 09:53 PM
User Info
(11-08-2017, 07:32 PM)Ajaccio Wrote: Wonderfulyl inventive. This looks SO much more convenient. Gig, how did the soap transfer for your Mike's go? 

I have O | C | P and the soap is almost up the the very edge of the tub. AMAZING from a consumer standpoint, but it would definitely be much easier to load it up if it was in a 'standard' soap container.

Mike's was actually quite easy. It's a little firmer than the other two so it didn't get stuck to the butter knife or my fingers. And the plastic tub I got is almost exactly the same size (just slightly narrower). So I cut the Mike's into thirds, moved the pieces over, and the little bit that was too big I cut off and pressed in from the top - talking a mm or so difference and it would have dropped in from the tin to the tub.

My next Mike's order comes tomorrow and I bought the bar which I will press into one of these. But Mike didn't acknowledge my request for a label (not even a "sorry, no") so it will be a surprise if I have it or not.

And for those curious, they were $0.90 each, and $12.10 shipping when I bought ten.

6 776
 11-08-2017, 10:07 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Borrowing Irena Marchu's photo...
This is why soap in tins suck.
[Image: wkr9GUX.jpg]

47 1,934