08-27-2012, 08:50 PM
User Info
With my new found love for SEs I was wondering today why there are not any current productions of the old classics as there are w/ DEs? I'm guessing it is because the popularity of DEs outweighs that of SEs. However, it would be nice to see these hit the market again...one can dream right.

5 938
 08-27-2012, 08:56 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I think you already answer the question ; the DE won the battle.However SE blades are still made,so maybe an artisan could bring back an SE razor.

86 7,123
 08-27-2012, 09:30 PM
User Info
+1 what Teiste wrote.

Plus, with SE razors being so easily found at great prices a new manufacturer of new razors would just bleed $ and go bankrupt. No way they could compete.

But I agree with your premise that SE razors are worthy of being made again. Maybe when the price for vintage goes up. That will require that the pool of vintage razors gets bought up and they start to experience a shortage.

32 6,309
 08-28-2012, 12:51 AM
User Info
It's like the days of VHS vs. Beta - VHS won; so did DE's.

0 68
 08-28-2012, 01:44 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
(08-27-2012, 08:50 PM)BladeDE40 Wrote: With my new found love for SEs I was wondering today why there are not any current productions of the old classics as there are w/ DEs? I'm guessing it is because the popularity of DEs outweighs that of SEs. However, it would be nice to see these hit the market again...one can dream right.

There is one...the COBRA Classic...it is more of a single edge than a injector...just uses a specific SE blade.

6 1,913
 08-28-2012, 04:07 AM
User Info
We have sent samples to our overseas factory weeks back. They are evaluating them with great interest.

5 273
 08-28-2012, 05:47 AM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
Joe - did you send blade samples of the normal SE blade (like the Pellas) or did you send a sample of the larger Feather blade (for the Cobra and Artist Club)?

Edit: In retrospect, I'm guessing you just sent SE shavers themselves....

29 466
 08-28-2012, 05:50 AM
User Info
(08-28-2012, 04:07 AM)Shave a Buck Wrote: We have sent samples to our overseas factory weeks back. They are evaluating them with great interest.

Would you please share which SEs you sent as samples? SherlockHmm

31 7,912
 08-28-2012, 09:27 AM
User Info
(08-27-2012, 09:30 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: +1 what Teiste wrote.

Plus, with SE razors being so easily found at great prices a new manufacturer of new razors would just bleed $ and go bankrupt. No way they could compete.

I think you could make that same argument for DEs too though. I can easily go on the Bay and find DEs in good condition for significantly less than something like a Merkur or EJ. I do agree that it is easier and there is often less competition obtaining an SE. Also, I think there is a pretty large market for people who want something new/ unused as evident by the number of current production DEs on the market.

(08-28-2012, 04:07 AM)Shave a Buck Wrote: We have sent samples to our overseas factory weeks back. They are evaluating them with great interest.

Joe...very exciting news! Please tell us more.

5 938
 08-28-2012, 10:16 AM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
There are far fewer blade choices with the SE...and if you go Schick or Cobra, even fewer.

With that said - I recently just pulled the trigger on a Damaskeene Regular Comb and a Damaskeene Open Comb - I'm looking forward to testing them out.

29 466
 08-28-2012, 10:37 AM
User Info
I agree, the market is there for those who want something new. You can always hunt around and find a used Gillette D/E for 8.00 yet people still buy new ones. The Cadet line has had the same arguement by some..why not just buy old Gillette which was posted on the Shave Den forum which is a highly anti vendor group. If that is the case then lets close Parker down and stop searching for new stuff all togeather. Also many converts will not be so quick to use an E-Bay find.

I think the updated version for a S/E razor might do well. I also have a few ideas to add to it. The Cobra seems a bit too dangerous to me and limits you to one specific blade choice. A S/E can still be found on the supermarket shelves where I live only branded Gem which are fine to me.

Ted Pella is a medical blade which is quite difficult for me to obtain. Remember that the true purpose is "medical" and if there is a recall for lets say sterilization or infection control the factory wants to get each and every blade back. that is why they are so controlled in who they sell too.

5 273
 08-28-2012, 12:58 PM
User Info
(08-28-2012, 10:37 AM)Shave a Buck Wrote: Ted Pella is a medical blade which is quite difficult for me to obtain. Remember that the true purpose is "medical" and if there is a recall for lets say sterilization or infection control the factory wants to get each and every blade back. that is why they are so controlled in who they sell too.

Joe that makes sense, but lately I've been seeing shaving vendors carry the Personna Med. Prep. DE blades and I believe Personna/ ASR also makes the SE blades sold on TP site, w/ the exception WECPREP blades perhaps. I would think there is a way around this, unless these vendors are just buying them from a med. supply store and reselling them.

5 938
 08-28-2012, 01:17 PM
User Info
FWIW, the Ted Pella blades and the Med Prep blades aren't sterilized. The TP blades aren't even considered to be medical blades but lab blades.

BladeDE40, you make a powerful argument against my premise. No doubt but that you're correct.

32 6,309
 08-28-2012, 01:52 PM
User Info
I'm going on the record requesting a new version/twist on the Gem Micromatic Open Comb. It doesn't have to be stainless, just a nice finish that I can maintain well for decades to come. Minty OCMMs are hard to come by and while one can be replated, I would jump on a newly made version of this.

Thanks Joe!

31 7,912
 08-28-2012, 02:45 PM
User Info
I've used quite a few older SE razors and yet to find one that compares (in shave quality) to my favorite DEs. I think SEs died because of demand... customers preferred DE razors. That said, the Cobra is a fine shaver but it's also $170... not a bargain and the finish quality is that of a $40 razor, in my opinion.

3 315
 08-28-2012, 04:30 PM
User Info
I think the term " medical" is a bit over used on the boards. What is a true medical blade and a prep and something completely different is a good question. I can tell you this, I tried to wholesale through Personna here in Jersey and was caught right at the gate so to say. Not using my shave site name, but my LLC and was denied the opportunity to purchase them from their medical division for the reasons I stated before. Pella is a s/e blade so perhaps I stand corrected n this, but trust me when I say true medical blades are hard to come by.

As for s/e razors I guess a historian can tell us more. I think s/e was caught between the straight and d/e reveloutions much like the beta VHS analogy given above. The angle on a s/e is more favorable to me as I like a close aggressive shave. But it does take a bit more time to shave and a slower process. The blades could be a bit harder to make and use more steel in the process, remember they are thicker and have that top strap.

I have never seen a cobra in person but agree with Joe on the price point. Truly a niche market item.

5 273
 08-28-2012, 04:32 PM
User Info
(08-28-2012, 10:37 AM)Shave a Buck Wrote: I agree, the market is there for those who want something new. You can always hunt around and find a used Gillette D/E for 8.00 yet people still buy new ones. The Cadet line has had the same arguement by some..why not just buy old Gillette which was posted on the Shave Den forum which is a highly anti vendor group. If that is the case then lets close Parker down and stop searching for new stuff all togeather. Also many converts will not be so quick to use an E-Bay find.

I think the updated version for a S/E razor might do well. I also have a few ideas to add to it. The Cobra seems a bit too dangerous to me and limits you to one specific blade choice. A S/E can still be found on the supermarket shelves where I live only branded Gem which are fine to me.

Ted Pella is a medical blade which is quite difficult for me to obtain. Remember that the true purpose is "medical" and if there is a recall for lets say sterilization or infection control the factory wants to get each and every blade back. that is why they are so controlled in who they sell too.

Joe, ignore the skeptics. If you are willing to provide a new SE then I am sure there will be a receptive audience for it.

BTW: Great work on the Cadet line. I got my two in yesterday. Good plating work on both and the comb looks like it was made for my Parker 98R handle. Thanks for the quick ship.

1 2,827
 08-28-2012, 05:32 PM
User Info
(08-28-2012, 02:45 PM)RazoRock_Joe Wrote: I've used quite a few older SE razors and yet to find one that compares (in shave quality) to my favorite DEs. I think SEs died because of demand... customers preferred DE razors. That said, the Cobra is a fine shaver but it's also $170... not a bargain and the finish quality is that of a $40 razor, in my opinion.

There's no doubt but that the refined discerning shaver may find his preference to be DE razors.But typical customers past and present are clueless sheep who ate whatever Gillette's marketing machine fed them to the point where they eventually marched gaily over the precipice into 5 bladed Gillette Fusion Hell.

7 414
 08-28-2012, 07:05 PM
User Info
(08-28-2012, 10:37 AM)Shave a Buck Wrote: I agree, the market is there for those who want something new. You can always hunt around and find a used Gillette D/E for 8.00 yet people still buy new ones. The Cadet line has had the same arguement by some..why not just buy old Gillette which was posted on the Shave Den forum which is a highly anti vendor group. If that is the case then lets close Parker down and stop searching for new stuff all togeather. Also many converts will not be so quick to use an E-Bay find.

If you bring a new SE to market I for one would buy it.

I always wished that someone would make a modern SE razor that accepts DE blades, similar to how the Shake-Sharp razor head is designed. Being that there is such a large and varied choice in DE blades, I personally would love to see a modern SE that accepts them.

I cannot tell you Joe how much I love my new Cadet Razors. I will giving a much more detailed review of the Cadet Open Comb later this week, as soon the SS-26 and TTO-15.

I for one am a huge fan of affordable well made razors. I can speak from personal experience...I have used $200 razors that do not shave as well as your Cadet and Sabi lines.

5 833
 08-28-2012, 08:28 PM
User Info
Hopefully, dreams can come true. Good luck.

75 20,883