10-10-2017, 10:40 PM
User Info
Dear all,
the new El-Jefe, now called the MR-SE, is up for sale at Ikon for $45 plus $5 shipping.
I tried to buy, but unfortunately they don't offer international shipping.

0 315
 10-10-2017, 10:49 PM
User Info
(10-10-2017, 10:40 PM)kyproset Wrote: Dear all,
the new El-Jefe is up for sale at Ikon for $45 plus $5 shipping.
I tried to buy, but ubfortunatelythey don't offer international shipping.
I've asked for an invoice and got one which I have paid. The new MR-SE is on its way to Cyprus.

0 315
 10-11-2017, 06:33 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Thanks for the note... I got one with 4 remaining (now 3, after mine).

62 3,011
 10-11-2017, 07:18 AM
User Info
I order mine.

0 63
 10-11-2017, 04:41 PM
User Info
Sold out already? That was quick...... got tracking info earlier today. Should be here in 2-3 days. Will post my thoughts on this new MR-SE "redux" of the El Jefe. Looking forward to reading your shaves with the updated version Gents. Good shaves.....

1 162
 10-11-2017, 05:33 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Has anything changed with this release?

Also, what are some favorite handles for it?

62 3,011
 10-11-2017, 05:55 PM
User Info
Matt, with the first version I picked up the Ikon SE handle that was floating around at the time. I think SE was for special edition. 

That combo works well enough for me and the finish matched. I didn't really have an issue with first one, so not sure what besides the head alignment changed.

10 1,457
 10-12-2017, 08:58 AM
  • shaveR41
  • Default User Title
  • Millbrae - CA
User Info
I just ordered one. I'm surprised they weren't sold in a hour!

0 27
 10-12-2017, 12:49 PM
User Info
I am quite content with the original. Once I get the blade in place, I leave it until it's time for a change, which is typically a good while, especially when the razor is part of a rotation.
It doesn't give the most comfortable shaves, but I don't feel compelled to get the new one.

8 950
 10-12-2017, 02:53 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(10-11-2017, 05:55 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: Matt, with the first version I picked up the Ikon SE handle that was floating around at the time. I think SE was for special edition. 

That combo works well enough for me and the finish matched. I didn't really have an issue with first one, so not sure what besides the head alignment changed.

Thanks Todd, I appreciate it.

Just out of curiosity, what was wrong with the blade alignment on previous versions (was it crooked?) and what did they say they did to fix that with this current release?

EDIT: I just watched a video that showed that the posts on the old head did not hold the blade tight, lots of play. (I honestly can't believe someone would design a razor like that, but that's a whole other story.)

62 3,011
 10-12-2017, 03:06 PM
User Info
My prediction;
The first batch will be highly sought after due to its flaw and an unintended consequence of being "adjustable". 

Stranger things have happened...

10 1,457
 10-12-2017, 03:10 PM
User Info
Received mine today. Ikon is practically in my backyard, got it in about 28 hours from purchase to delivery. A few quick pics and my early observations. A shave coming up soon.....

The new MR-SE on left, original El Jefe on right....
[Image: WMRQevm.jpg]

Better blade placement on blade posts, but still not perfectly precise.....
[Image: 64MxjCo.jpg]

Better alignment and much less play. Once assembled alignment is very good.... But still adjustable, slightly.
[Image: MtC4CFa.jpg]

Even blade exposure and gap across the length of the safety bar....
[Image: qUL0zMZ.jpg]

1 162
 10-12-2017, 03:11 PM
User Info
Thanks for the early pics and comparison.

21 1,810
 10-13-2017, 12:38 AM
User Info
Shave is in. Got a 2 pass plus extended buffing that gave me an outstanding BBS shave with the MR-SE. Now, the original El Jefe gives me just as good a shave. BBS results almost everytime. The shave quality is nearly identical out of both razors. So, what's the difference? You don't have to fiddle with the MR-SE as you do with the El Jefe. Drop your blade in, just tilt it back to make sure the blade is against the blade tabs and place the bottom plate on, tighten up. Locks in place firmly and securely. I will say that I feel a bit more smoothness out of the MR-SE compared to the El Jefe, while still being efficient and maintaining a mid-aggressive feel. Once in a while I would have to stop mid shave with the El Jefe because it just felt I hadn't aligned it right. I assembled and disassembled the MR-SE at least 8-10 times and it pretty much was aligned every time. Much better fitment and closer tolerances on the MR-SE head. Still a tiny bit of play, but it is very, very small.

Overall I consider it an improvement over the original El Jefe. It shaves slightly smoother while still being efficient with decent blade feel. It is better finished and the fitment has been cleaned up very nicely. It's a better quality piece imo. Would I recommend it? Absolutely without any hesitation. Old El Jefe veterans will take to this new MR-SE and find it to be an excellent razor that finally eliminates for the most part the nervousness of setting up the razor properly as you have to do with the El Jefe. Those that were nervous or afraid of trying out the El Jefe, fear no more. The new and improved El Jefe II will give you a satisfying and close shave without any apprehension of carving your face up like a turkey on Thanksgiving Day. Thumbs up on the MR-SE from Ikon...

1 162
 10-13-2017, 01:53 AM
User Info
Thank you for the review, I'm a fan of the El-Jefe and have three heads. I ordered the new MR-SE, but getting used to loading the original is by now second nature. I look forward to the smoother shave in the new edition though. On the Proline P-30, it will be amazing.

0 315
 10-13-2017, 01:08 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Just got the razor in the mail today (thanks to USPS for two day delivery, if it was anyone else I'd be waiting till the middle end of next week... for instance, my Rockwell 6s that I ordered Monday and I won't receive until tomorrow at the earliest).

This was the first time using any AC style razor, so I began with the ProGuard.

Was a very comfortable shave and great result.

No trepidation, so I will be using a different blade next time.

62 3,011
 10-13-2017, 02:16 PM
User Info
(10-13-2017, 01:08 PM)Nero Wrote: Just got the razor in the mail today (thanks to USPS for two day delivery, if it was anyone else I'd be waiting till the middle end of next week... for instance, my Rockwell 6s that I ordered Monday and I won't receive until tomorrow at the earliest).

Great! If I may suggest, if you can get your hands on some Prolines you won't regret it. Almost as sharp if not equal to a Feather Pro, with a smoother feel and slightly better durability......

1 162
 10-13-2017, 03:31 PM
User Info
Great reviews. Nice detailed pics. Thanks for sharing and have fun.

8 1,210
 10-13-2017, 04:50 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(10-13-2017, 02:16 PM)SteelyEdge Wrote:
(10-13-2017, 01:08 PM)Nero Wrote: Just got the razor in the mail today (thanks to USPS for two day delivery, if it was anyone else I'd be waiting till the middle end of next week... for instance, my Rockwell 6s that I ordered Monday and I won't receive until tomorrow at the earliest).

Great! If I may suggest, if you can get your hands on some Prolines you won't regret it. Almost as sharp if not equal to a Feather Pro, with a smoother feel and slightly better durability......

I got the sampler from try a blade so I do have a Proline, and I plan on trying that one and all the rest out.

- Btw, I used the handle from my Blackland Sabre. No complaints.

[Image: 32356f7b1fdefbfcea95cdaec5ba965b.jpg]

[Image: 90dfba189fa570ace7379134a6a38330.jpg]

[Image: e898289dceffd52f179014ba728b527e.jpg]

62 3,011
 10-14-2017, 03:46 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Today I used the Feather Professional. No cuts or weepers, and felt good through the shave. Post shave there was a bit of itch/burn sensation along the jawline, mainly. Skin complexion on the cheeks is not terrible, but not perfect either.
Overall kinda reminds me of using Feather DE blade bc of the tender sensation.
I think I'll switch to a Kai or Schick blade for tomorrow.

62 3,011