10-12-2017, 08:17 AM
User Info
After a 15 years I went back to a cartridge.

Here is what I learned:

Less time standing in front of a mirror cart
Less ingrown hairs with a cart
Less money spent on finding the next best thing
Shaves are effortless with a cart 
Less time on forums
More time spent with family

3 115
 10-12-2017, 09:54 AM
User Info
I - and I'm sure most of the members here agree with me - am happy you have found a razor which suits you... although my experience in parts contradicts yours regarding both ingrown hairs, cash spent, and effort expended.

I love how everyone have a different path to the same goal; a good shave Biggrin

3 4,678
 10-12-2017, 11:19 AM
User Info
Which cart is it, that’s providing you these stellar shaves?

11 196
 10-12-2017, 12:02 PM
User Info
[Image: DQ1OT90.png]

8 1,210
 10-12-2017, 12:24 PM
User Info
(10-12-2017, 11:19 AM)SweetReason Wrote: Which cart is it, that’s providing you these stellar shaves?

My favorites 

Hydro
Gillette M3

To me it's about shave prep good soap or cream.

I get as good if not better shaves with a cart. This notion you save money is bull. I have spent too much on soaps razors brush etc. Ya the hobby comment will come up but I am not buying into it.

3 115
 10-12-2017, 01:18 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
So, you actually spend less money using cartridges? How is that even possible?

49 2,017
 10-12-2017, 02:07 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(10-12-2017, 01:18 PM)nikos.a Wrote: So, you actually spend less money using cartridges? How is that even possible?

I cannot reply for Kurtis, but — in my experience — I get about three times as many shaves from a single Feather MR3 neo cartridge as I get from a single Feather Hi-Stainless DE razor blade.  At that ratio, the costs per shave are pretty close.  Of course, I could reduce the per-shave cost of cartridge shaves if I switched back to a Schick Hydro3 (which frequently go on sale for $10 for a 4+1 pack) or the per-shave cost of DE shaves if I went cheap with Rapira Swedish SuperSteel DE blades that are pretty good for their low price, but then the cost comparisons would get more complex than simply comparing Feather vs. Feather.

1 1,110
 10-12-2017, 02:12 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I use a cart 3-4 days a week.

My favorite is the Gillette Fusion manual. The one with the orange and blue trim. I don’t like the new power carts.

Once I learned proper wet shaving technique, the cart worked wonderfully.

169 1,425
 10-12-2017, 03:51 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Cleaning today and found a new pack of Feather MR3 blades.  Now when I find the MR3 razor handle, I will try again.  I do recall decent shaves.  

I do agree several of the "lessons learned" in the first post are correct.  For most of us, DE shaving has become a hobby and made shaving an enjoyable activity.  Perhaps in 15 years i will have a new hobby and different values - perhaps not.

5 427
 10-12-2017, 04:29 PM
User Info
(10-12-2017, 03:51 PM)SCOV Wrote: Cleaning today and found a new pack of Feather MR3 blades.  Now when I find the MR3 razor handle, I will try again.  I do recall decent shaves.  

I do agree several of the "lessons learned" in the first post are correct.  For most of us, DE shaving has become a hobby and made shaving an enjoyable activity.  Perhaps in 15 years i will have a new hobby and different values - perhaps not.

I have spent too much time on forums probably like you buying every new soap that comes out.  At the end of the day it's shaving.

3 115
 10-12-2017, 05:35 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(10-12-2017, 08:17 AM)kurtis Wrote: After a 15 years I went back to a cartridge.

Here is what I learned:

Less time on forums

Might as well just grow a beard. Tongue

46 18,627
 10-12-2017, 06:25 PM
User Info
I shave with a cart (+ brush & soap stick) when I travel, Gillette fusion. The first 3-4 shaves are very good. After that, the blades start skipping whiskers reliably - and by shave 7-8 the cart is done. (Tried the MR3, didn’t work well for me). What I find interesting is that shaving with a cart doesn’t mean you can’t/don’t use a brush & soap. Indeed, we have plenty of cart users here, and many who fall prey to overbuying just as many brushes & soaps as their DE/SE/straight counterparts.

29 1,207
 10-12-2017, 06:43 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
There is nothing wrong with using cartridge razors IMO.
Everyone is different.
IMO, the true beauty of wet shaving is the process, ie prep, lather, shave.
Avoid the canned shave goop, build up a good lather using a proper soap/cream, and shave away!
Cheers!

102 18,669
 10-12-2017, 10:54 PM
  • Roy
User Info
I agree that the pleasure of a wet shave is the lather and trying out the different creams. However a multi blade cart messes my skin. The razor I use now is the Focus r48. You do need to ensure the blade is correctly aligned, but the shave is very closed and so comfortable. The razor uses halved de blades.
A few manufacturers make some very stylish handles for cartridge blades. I use single blade dispisible razor such as bic ,on holiday in hand luggage . These work fine with good lather.

0 22
 10-13-2017, 01:33 AM
User Info
(10-12-2017, 05:35 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(10-12-2017, 08:17 AM)kurtis Wrote: After a 15 years I went back to a cartridge.

Here is what I learned:

Less time on forums

Might as well just grow a beard. Tongue

Hi Bull that doesn't make any sense!!!!

3 115
 10-13-2017, 02:46 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I too went back to cartridges (Mach3 and Sensor) after many, many years of using DEs and SEs.  After 4 years I have not looked back; my cart. shaves are close and irritation-free.

7 934
 10-13-2017, 03:17 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I have been traveling a lot for work and I got tired of getting stopped at the airport, so I decided to try a cart for travel.  I got a free trial of the Harry's razor and I got razor burn, just like I used to get before switching to DEs.  I then bought some Personna Twin cartridges, similar to Gillette Atras.  They work much better after removing the lubrication strip. They are also the only cartridge I can use without getting ingrown hairs, but I still don't like them as much as my DEs.  I also don't find much, if any of a time savings.  Building the lather is what takes the most time.  I can shave in the same amount of time with a cart or DE.  

I don't say this to argue with the OP.  I'm just sharing my experience.

3 587
 10-13-2017, 03:21 AM
User Info
(10-13-2017, 03:17 AM)DayMan Wrote: I have been traveling a lot for work and I got tired of getting stopped at the airport, so I decided to try a cart for travel.  I got a free trial of the Harry's razor and I got razor burn, just like I used to get before switching to DEs.  I then bought some Personna Twin cartridges, similar to Gillette Atras.  They work much better after removing the lubrication strip. They are also the only cartridge I can use without getting ingrown hairs, but I still don't like them as much as my DEs.  I also don't find much, if any of a time savings.  Building the lather is what takes the most time.  I can shave in the same amount of time with a cart or DE.  

I don't say this to argue with the OP.  I'm just sharing my experience.

Thanks DayMan in the end its what works for you!

3 115
 10-13-2017, 09:14 AM
User Info
Less ingrown hairs is NOT my experience. You aren't alone in wet shaving but with carts.

6 805
 10-13-2017, 10:07 AM
User Info
I'll still use a cart now and again (typically Harry's) if I'm traveling or pressed for time.
I would never look down my nose at carts.

8 950