10-13-2017, 10:36 AM
User Info
(10-13-2017, 09:14 AM)Gig103 Wrote: Less ingrown hairs is NOT my experience. You aren't alone in wet shaving but with carts.

Giggy that's my experience don't be a hater!

3 115
 10-13-2017, 11:37 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Carts have their place in my den, that's for sure.  I never use carts at home since I get far better shaves from my DE and Schick razors.
Unfortunately due to overbearing TSA agents, the only razor I can travel with is a cartridge. 
I've tried the Dorco Pace carts and they're not very nice at all.
I had a full set of Harry's cartridges and recently sold them all.  I have some Feather MR3 & FII Neo blades on the way, so I can't speak to those.
I currently have a Gillette fusion razor in my Dopp bag only because that's what I was using years ago when I transitioned to wet-shaving.
99.9% of my shaves are not using cartridges, but they have their place.
The goal is a great shave.  They work for you, so that's the important part.  Enjoy!

47 1,934
 10-13-2017, 02:22 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(10-13-2017, 11:37 AM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: Unfortunately due to overbearing TSA agents, the only razor I can travel with is a cartridge.

They’re just doing their jobs, enforcing the law and regulations as written.

1 1,102
 10-13-2017, 02:55 PM
User Info
(10-12-2017, 02:12 PM)Steelman Wrote: I use a cart 3-4 days a week.

My favorite is the Gillette Fusion manual. The one with the orange and blue trim. I don’t like the new power carts.

Once I learned proper wet shaving technique, the cart worked wonderfully.

Agreed.

I sold all my 50-60 new DE and SE razors after 5-6 years if playing around with them.
Went back to my original carts - and got even better shaves now, because I know good prep, good technique, great shaving soaps and great brushes and have the extra experience now.

I use no pressure and 3 passes and strop my carts multiple times before, during and after the shave with my thumb. Used to get 4-5 shaves from one cart, now I get 20-25 good shaves pr. cart.

Never buy new razors, new brushes nor having to try new blades all the time. I've settled on 6 high quality handle Fusion razors and 6 high quality handle Mach 3 razors.

1. st pass + 2.nd pass: Fusion (prefer the orange too, then the blue then the yellow - all no power)
3.rd pass + touch ups: Mach 3

Best shaves of my life. Never even looking at DE/SE razors any more. Waste of my time and money.

24 6,004
 10-13-2017, 03:06 PM
User Info
(10-13-2017, 02:55 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(10-12-2017, 02:12 PM)Steelman Wrote: I use a cart 3-4 days a week.

My favorite is the Gillette Fusion manual. The one with the orange and blue trim. I don’t like the new power carts.

Once I learned proper wet shaving technique, the cart worked wonderfully.

Agreed.

I sold all my 50-60 new DE and SE razors after 5-6 years if playing around with them.
Went back to my original carts - and got even better shaves now, because I know good prep, good technique, great shaving soaps and great brushes and have the extra experience now.

I use no pressure and 3 passes and strop my carts multiple times before, during and after the shave with my thumb. Used to get 4-5 shaves from one cart, now I get 20-25 good shaves pr. cart.

Never buy new razors, new brushes nor having to try new blades all the time. I've settled on 6 high quality handle Fusion razors and 6 high quality handle Mach 3 razors.

1. st pass + 2.nd pass: Fusion (prefer the orange too, then the blue then the yellow - all no power)
3.rd pass + touch ups: Mach 3

Best shaves of my life. Never even looking at DE/SE razors any more. Waste of my time and money.

Amen brother great write-up

3 115
 10-13-2017, 09:58 PM
User Info
(10-12-2017, 08:17 AM)kurtis Wrote: After a 15 years I went back to a cartridge.

Here is what I learned:

Less time standing in front of a mirror cart
Less ingrown hairs with a cart
Less money spent on finding the next best thing
Shaves are effortless with a cart 
Less time on forums
More time spent with family

15 years and you still don’t know how to shave. Phil was right, grow a beard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 130
 10-14-2017, 01:32 AM
User Info
Intelligence is you doing the shave, the way it works for you. Simple as that. But you don't have the right to live in this world 15 years, and now wake up and tell us we all are blind, because cart are better. If it works to you fine, I'm happy for you. To me this space is like a library plenty of knowledge and experience, that I'm grateful to can learn with all of you. Without this I think that my experience with shaving, will be just one more thing. This is not about who's the best, the that feels and thinks like that as completely missed the point.
Thank you all, person's of the world, to share to me your experiences, I want you to know that my life is better after this experience. [Image: c634ba6221ae9f523849b91e6563bd42.gif][Image: f9387d20914e01205c47709bee6a20c1.jpg]

Enviado do meu SM-N9005 através de Tapatalk

0 101
 10-14-2017, 03:47 AM
User Info
(10-13-2017, 09:58 PM)Rhinehoth Wrote:
(10-12-2017, 08:17 AM)kurtis Wrote: After a 15 years I went back to a cartridge.

Here is what I learned:

Less time on forums

15 years and you still don’t know how to shave. Phil was right, grow a beard.

Ah here we go with the attacks I new they were coming!   

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 115
 10-14-2017, 03:50 AM
User Info
(10-14-2017, 01:32 AM)JePorto Wrote: Intelligence is you doing the shave, the way it works for you. Simple as that. But you don't have the right to live in this world 15 years, and now wake up and tell us we all are blind, because cart are better. If it works to you fine, I'm happy for you. To me this space is like a library plenty of knowledge and experience, that I'm grateful to can learn with all of you. Without this I think that my experience with shaving, will be just one more thing. This is not about who's the best, the that feels and thinks like that as completely missed the point.
Thank you all, person's of the world, to share to me your experiences, I want you to know that my life is better after this experience. [Image: c634ba6221ae9f523849b91e6563bd42.gif][Image: f9387d20914e01205c47709bee6a20c1.jpg]

That makes zero sense! I said what I learned its a personal thing.  I suggest you go back and take more photos of your brushes and post them on line.

3 115
 10-14-2017, 03:50 AM
User Info
Gents, please keep it courteous or we'll have to lock down the thread.

Remember that Your Mileage May Vary and all that, and respect that others may not share your views on how things Should Be Done.

3 4,587
 10-14-2017, 07:32 AM
User Info
This is an interesting thread. The original thread made some great points. What he said about money resonated with me—“less money spent on finding the newest thing.” Clearly at $2-3 a cart vs. $.10/ DE blade, carts are more expensive. But it doesn’t take much browsing on this or other shaving forums to see many of us are chasing after the newest thing. Nothing wrong with that if you have the bucks, but I think the OP’s point is valid.

I am no expert on ingrowns, but I see that point as well. Sometimes I shave closer than I should. With a cart I don’t bother trying to get so close.

I’m going back to carts (due to essential tremor) although I’m working through my last few DE blades. In my experiments with a couple of cart options I am finding it very simple with good results.

It’s just shaving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 154
 10-14-2017, 08:43 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I could give a tinkers damn what kind of razor a man shaves with.  I have every thing from my expensive Pils to my cheap 55 year old Schick Injector.  I even have a MR3 Cartridge Razor.  Heck, as for as that goes I have a Norelco Wet/Dry Electric and a Braun Wet/Dry Electric that my kids have given to me on different occasions and one thing all of my shaves have in common is, they are wet shaves.  Brush and soap.

Now, all of my shaves are good, some better than the other, but all good.  Just depends on the mood I am in or whether or not I am on a trip or vacation.  If I visit the grandkids in Ohio, you can bet your bottom dollar I am shaving with the Braun Wet/Dry Electric.  They are the ones that gave it to me.

As someone said above, it's just shaving.

178 23,821
 10-14-2017, 10:11 AM
User Info
(10-14-2017, 03:50 AM)kurtis Wrote:
(10-14-2017, 01:32 AM)JePorto Wrote: Intelligence is you doing the shave, the way it works for you. Simple as that. But you don't have the right to live in this world 15 years, and now wake up and tell us we all are blind, because cart are better. If it works to you fine, I'm happy for you. To me this space is like a library plenty of knowledge and experience, that I'm grateful to can learn with all of you. Without this I think that my experience with shaving, will be just one more thing. This is not about who's the best, the that feels and thinks like that as completely missed the point.

That makes zero sense! I said what I learned its a personal thing.  I suggest you go back and take more photos of your brushes and post them on line.
Look my English could be a bad one, make sure a never want to offend you or anyone I just say that, there's no reason to say one is better than the other, or ones are clever than the others. Reading your post I think I found one of the reasons that are making this wet shaving fóruns are slowing down, is the fact of some permanently competitive felling.
I don't have much but I do love to see the dedication on some members, production some beautiful moments.

By the way The picture that I posted have two ears. In 4 years of this, maybe I have 15 soaps and 4 razors and 300 pictures. Shaving 4 days a week, I'm I been cleaver then anyone?
I don't think so.
I wish you a great life.
One more picture. [Image: 0a3b6e88c1296c09077f0803982a16e0.jpg]

0 101
 10-14-2017, 10:36 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(10-14-2017, 08:43 AM)Johnny Wrote: If I visit the grandkids in Ohio, you can bet your bottom dollar I am shaving with the Braun Wet/Dry Electric.  They are the ones that gave it to me.

For years, I have had a nice maple handle Gillette Mach 3 with matching stand that stayed in the hall closet 99 percent of the year, but when our son came to visit, it got moved to the medicine cabinet above the sink where I shave daily, and where our son, who gave me the Mach 3 and stand as a gift, would shave for the duration of his visits.  I still own the razor and stand, but these days, the gifts go the other direction:  our son serves a useful function as the recipient of shave soaps that I have bought on a whim but never cottoned to. 
In all the years that I have owned the Mach 3 razor, I never have needed to purchase replacement cartridges.  Wink 

1 1,102
 10-14-2017, 09:30 PM
User Info
Thank you all, person's of the world, to share to me your experiences, I want you to know that my life is better after this experience. [Image: f9387d20914e01205c47709bee6a20c1.jpg]

I always enjoy your beautiful photos and encouraging comments.  They are inspiring examples of how even otherwise mundane daily tasks - shaving, driving, preparing meals, etc. - can be infused with a joie de vivre that improves our lives.  

Thanks for taking time to join us from your beautiful city in Portugal.

0 14
 10-15-2017, 02:47 AM
User Info
(10-14-2017, 09:30 PM)Mazama Wrote:
Thank you all, person's of the world, to share to me your experiences, I want you to know that my life is better after this experience. [Image: f9387d20914e01205c47709bee6a20c1.jpg]

I always enjoy your beautiful photos and encouraging comments.  They are inspiring examples of how even otherwise mundane daily tasks - shaving, driving, preparing meals, etc. - can be infused with a joie de vivre that improves our lives.  

Thanks for taking time to join us from your beautiful city in Portugal.
Totally agree with you. A big thanks for your kind words. Let's all move on.

0 101
 10-18-2017, 01:08 PM
User Info

Here is what I learned:

Less time on forums

Sounds as though you’re ready to move on to a different hobby.  Hey, nothing wrong with that.

I used to own some pretty nifty cars.  They were in the shop often, and I spent a ton of money maintaining them.  Finally got sick of it, and now I drive a modern, efficient car.  Never breaks down, doesn’t require much servicing, and gets me from A to B.  I moved on.  OK, I don’t enjoy driving it much…but it was time to let go of the hobby.

I used to own a spectacular Leica rangefinder film camera.  Developed my own films, and had a darkroom to make my own prints.  I would go out shooting with a buddy all day.  Plan what film to use, what developer for the film (usually HC-110 or Rodinol) and have a most fulfilling time.  Well, now I use a digital camera.  Photos are fine, everything is easy and efficient, and doesn’t cost me any money for chemicals and film and all sorts of other things.  Do I get sublime fulfillment from photographing?  No.  Do I still go out and spend a day shooting?  No.  My digital camera is just a tool, and it does the job fine.  And, it saves a lot of time.  Heck, I don’t even have to take light meter readings (my Leica didn’t have a built-in light meter).

I agree that you can save time shaving with a cart.  I spend about 20-25 minutes shaving in the morning.  With a cartridge, I bet you can do it in 10 minutes or less. 

I agree that you don’t need to spend money on finding the next best thing.

I agree that shaves are effortless with a cart.

And…forums—well, ya, I suppose you don’t need to bother with them.  There are many things one can read instead.  Or, don’t read.  Sometimes I like to just sit and listen to jazz (and sip a scotch beside the fireplace if it’s winter).

There are lots of hobbies—some expensive, some inexpensive.  I can easily afford the shaving hobby.  I can’t afford cars or photography to the extent that I used to.  But, I believe we do need hobbies.  There is research to support this.

I get up half an hour earlier each weekday morning so I can have quiet time shaving.  I look forward it to every single day.  It’s a special time for me, and I just love being inefficient, fiddling around with razors, making amazing lather, choosing a fragrance—the whole thing.  Is all that necessary?  Of course not.  Friends, it’s a hobby.  I get simple, inexpensive satisfaction from it.

On a few occasions I’ve had rather challenging days at work.  What do I do?  I come home, go down to my den, and have a shave to relax.  In no time I’m back to myself, and ready for dinner and wonderful conversation with my wife.

And, for what it’s worth, I use a cartridge to shave my dome once a week.  Single-edge for my face, or sometimes a double.

If this hobby and this forum is for you—enjoy it.  If not, no problem.

1 415
 10-18-2017, 01:19 PM
User Info
Well said David.

50 6,277
 10-18-2017, 05:46 PM
User Info
(10-14-2017, 03:50 AM)kurtis Wrote:

Actually kurtis, you didn’t state what you learnt was a personal thing. However, you did insult a member of this forum and stated your “discoveries’ as fact. I am going to address some of your claims now.

Less time standing in front of a mirror cart; If this is a prerequisite for you then use an electric shaver - it’s much quicker than shaving with a cart.

Less ingrown hairs with a cart; You must know something that dermatologists, who recommend carts over safety razors to prevent bumps (ingrown hairs) and razor burns, do not know. In fact, if an individual is prone to bumps, breakouts and razor burn most dermatologists recommend shaving with a safety razor. The reason being is that razors with 3, 4 or 5 blades end up taking off too much skin and natural oils leaving your face prone to razor bumps and razor burn.

Less money spent on finding the next best thing; Perhaps, that is what you used to do. Personally, buying antique razors and new razors is a hobby for me, just like coin collecting, stamp collecting and photography.

Shaves are effortless with a cart; So is shaving with an electric razor or my go to razor, the OneBlade. What is your point?

Less time on forums; You make this sound as a bad thing. Did you spend all your waking hours on forums? Personally, I enjoy spending some of my time on shaving, photography, technology and fishing forums. Learn to prioritise.

More time spent with family; Wow, so for fifteen years you neglected your family? I am surprised you still have one.

0 130
 10-18-2017, 05:58 PM
User Info
(10-14-2017, 03:50 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Gents, please keep it courteous or we'll have to lock down the thread.

Remember that Your Mileage May Vary and all that, and respect that others may not share your views on how things Should Be Done.

Gentlemen, Hans has already asked everyone to keep this courteous.

50 6,277