10-13-2017, 10:57 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
With my variety of soaps, my Xpec hasn’t been used in a looong time. Broke it out today and I’m still a big fan. What a great cream, good aroma hits you first. But boy is the slickness top shelf. Used my Plisson synth brush, and Fatboy with a Gillette Spoler blade.

22 769
 10-13-2017, 11:01 AM
User Info
My best performing cream , the scent is perfect for the fall and winter. Also a great time to get the scuttle out in combination with this cream. I agree the slickness is excellent. The aftershave balm balm is also very nice. I may even grab an unscented tub and mix in my own lavender oil for next spring.

83 1,715
 10-13-2017, 11:11 AM
User Info
I only recently acquired Xpec and am a fan.  Great scent, great performance.  I need to pull my tub out and use it for a few days.

23 1,938
 10-13-2017, 11:41 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Yes, Xpec is indeed a classic.
Distinctive scent and fabulous performance.
I think I have 3 tubs; should last awhile!

102 18,712
 10-13-2017, 02:34 PM
User Info
The scented version, not so much my cup of tea. Great lather though. I have a tub of unscented, and when I add a sufficient amount of my favorite fragrances it's very pleasant.

28 1,261
 10-18-2017, 03:07 PM
User Info
I recently sent an email to Peter at Connaught Shaving regarding when XPEC will be in stock again, and was surprised to find out that they've been closed with no hard re-startup date to note:

"Hello,

Xpec have been closed for a while but they are supposed to be re opening soon, although exactly when we are yet to find out.

Best Regards

Peter Mayhew
Connaughtshaving.com"

11 107
 10-19-2017, 08:09 AM
User Info
(10-18-2017, 03:07 PM)Maha0098 Wrote: I recently sent an email to Peter at Connaught Shaving regarding when XPEC will be in stock again, and was surprised to find out that they've been closed with no hard re-startup date to note:

"Hello,

Xpec have been closed for a while but they are supposed to be re opening soon, although exactly when we are yet to find out.

Best Regards

Peter Mayhew
Connaughtshaving.com"

Interesting, I'm wondering if XPEC will now go back to "legendary" status as it becomes unavailable. I remember several years back when it was spoken of with revered tones and when it was reintroduced it was largely dismissed as overpriced and overhyped. I have both the old and new versions and they both are outstanding IMO.

3 268
 10-19-2017, 09:43 AM
User Info
(10-19-2017, 08:09 AM)Pomfretsteve Wrote: Interesting, I'm wondering if XPEC will now go back to "legendary" status as it becomes unavailable. I remember several years back when it was spoken of with revered tones and when it was reintroduced it was largely dismissed as overpriced and overhyped. I have both the old and new versions and they both are outstanding IMO.

I wonder if they'll be re-opening with v3 of their formula, or if they'll return as-is. Do you remember how long they disappeared last time?

11 107
 10-19-2017, 11:40 AM
  • Nero
  • No Waxation Without Representation
  • Lanolin-Free or Die
User Info
(10-19-2017, 09:43 AM)Maha0098 Wrote:
(10-19-2017, 08:09 AM)Pomfretsteve Wrote: Interesting, I'm wondering if XPEC will now go back to "legendary" status as it becomes unavailable. I remember several years back when it was spoken of with revered tones and when it was reintroduced it was largely dismissed as overpriced and overhyped. I have both the old and new versions and they both are outstanding IMO.

I wonder if they'll be re-opening with v3 of their formula, or if they'll return as-is. Do you remember how long they disappeared last time?

It was over a year from the time everyone was out of stock to the point they released with the new formula.

82 3,445
 10-19-2017, 03:04 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Glad I scarfed another tub of unscented.

Cheers, Steve

7 610
 10-19-2017, 03:08 PM
User Info
Bring on V3! Haha I’m ready.

83 1,715
 10-19-2017, 03:23 PM
User Info
(10-19-2017, 03:08 PM)ultra~nova Wrote: Bring on V3! Haha I’m ready.

Ha! I'd love to hear what the new complaint is, if a V3 is coming out. For V2 it was "this doesn't lather anymore compared to V1 because they took out the parabens..."

11 107
 10-19-2017, 03:29 PM
User Info
I tried V1 and V2 and didn’t notice anything that really stood out but admit I only had 1 test sample for the V1. Always has been one of my favorite creams but I hear you , any time a reformulation comes there is always a lot of criticism. A lot was said about proraso when the new formula was introduced and a few gents thought the old was far better , personally I think the new formula is slightly better in terms of slickness.

83 1,715
 10-19-2017, 03:45 PM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
I think I got the last tub of unscented that Connaught had back in July. I love it. The slickness has been mentioned, and it is as good as anything in existence, but I feel its post-shave feel is where it is truly better than everyone else. I must say if you get it from the right place, like Connaught, the price really isn't that bad. I paid about $37 including shipping for what is a pretty big tub.

4 482
 10-19-2017, 04:03 PM
User Info
(10-19-2017, 03:45 PM)Puma Wrote: I think I got the last tub of unscented that Connaught had back in July. I love it. The slickness has been mentioned, and it is as good as anything in existence, but I feel its post-shave feel is where it is truly better than everyone else. I must say if you get it from the right place, like Connaught, the price really isn't that bad. I paid about $37 including shipping for what is a pretty big tub.

That's the exact reason I was dismayed to find out they were out of stock with no alternative except Old Town Shaving Company's $59 + shipping. Here's to hoping they come back soon, but if you got the last in July then we may only be a couple months into the (temporary) shut-down.

11 107
 10-19-2017, 04:19 PM
  • Nero
  • No Waxation Without Representation
  • Lanolin-Free or Die
User Info
I have backups of both V1 and V2, I have to say there is a massive difference between their consistency in tub and in lather form. You can argue they shave the same (in a YMMV kind of way, but I would disagree with that too).
But you really can't argue they lather the same or feel the same in the tub. I know most people don't have them side by side and can't compare like that, so I understand, but TRUST ME, they couldn't be much different.
V1 is like a super-concentrated English cream. V2 is nothing like an English cream whatsoever.

82 3,445
 10-19-2017, 05:09 PM
User Info
To everyone’s knowledge sort of off topic but along the lines of reformulation talk , was castle Forbes ever reformulated? The first pot I ever had was as described as a really thick concentrated cream and recent tubs have been a little firmer.

83 1,715
 10-19-2017, 09:24 PM
User Info
(10-19-2017, 05:09 PM)ultra~nova Wrote: To everyone’s knowledge sort of off topic but along the lines of reformulation talk , was castle Forbes ever reformulated? The first pot I ever had was as described as a really thick concentrated cream and recent tubs have been a little firmer.

I don't actually have an answer for you. But my older creams have firmed up, likely from drying out. They always work if I add a touch of distilled water (or load like a soap). Perhaps the shop had it on a shelf for a while?

6 1,005
 10-20-2017, 03:57 AM
User Info
(10-19-2017, 09:24 PM)Gig103 Wrote:
(10-19-2017, 05:09 PM)ultra~nova Wrote: To everyone’s knowledge sort of off topic but along the lines of reformulation talk , was castle Forbes ever reformulated? The first pot I ever had was as described as a really thick concentrated cream and recent tubs have been a little firmer.

I don't actually have an answer for you. But my older creams have firmed up, likely from drying out. They always work if I add a touch of distilled water (or load like a soap). Perhaps the shop had it on a shelf for a while?

That’s what I thought as well , ny last tub of XPEC was very firm as well and I loaded from the tub just like a soap.

83 1,715
 10-20-2017, 04:24 AM
User Info

Yes is was, a couple of years ago it had parabens like so many other creams and cosmetics in general. Europe has stricter rules for cosmetics than we do here in the USA. I never used the paraben version but the current is great!

0 89