10-14-2017, 08:02 AM
User Info
First shavette shave of the day

I did a 2 pass and some clean up. got about 10-15 small weepers but, nothing cold water didn't stop. i felt a little irritation under my nose, and just a little on the neck. went time for alum block, i almost jump through the roof, stunk like hell, i did not feel that bad before the alum block. the irritation on my neck just got worse after the alum..?
I was using the proguard blade, i did felt like pull and tugging a little that may be the problem.

I know this i my first time, but i have some questions.
- are the pro and super blader sharper the proguard.
- can you be allergic to alum block.. every time i use it seam to make the shave much worse. 

hoping for some advice..
[Image: 22424428_1101142550021572_85533401789325...e=5A87446C]

0 43
 10-14-2017, 08:34 AM
User Info
Try the alum on your wrist/elbow - or on your face on a day that you haven’t shaved. That should let you know of your allergic. You can also pick up some witch hazel instead. RE pro’s/pro-supers - I started via a shavette with those, and it’s a very unforgiving way to learn. They are wickedly sharp, much more so than a guarded blade.

What did you mean you ‘stunk like hell’ after the alum application? My preferred brand of alum (block osma) doesn’t smell like anything. (Perhaps you meant “stung” like hell). Keep in mind that alum doesn’t cause irritation - rather it highlights areas that are irritated while closing up small cuts; that’s its purpose.

29 1,563
 10-14-2017, 09:28 AM
User Info
Sorry yes. did mean stung, stupid autocorrection sometime the danish correction messes it up... i will try using the alum a day i dont shave. before the alum it felt pretty ok. but after it got worse, i can not get witch hazel in denmark. 
but guess it was not bad since is was my first time using a shavette of any kind.

0 43
 10-14-2017, 09:43 AM
User Info
Sounds like a rough first shave is all. They’ll get better

29 1,563
 10-14-2017, 12:37 PM
User Info
(10-14-2017, 09:43 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Sounds like a rough first shave is all. They’ll get better

Ya, I agree.  I'd skip the alum and just do a cold rinse if the alum bothers you.  Too bad you can't get witch hazel.  That's my preferred post shave application.

I'd focus on with the grain shaves for a while until you get used to it.  And don't expect it to be as close as your normal shave while you are learning.  Also, I'd stick with the pro guards or Kai milds.   I find them to be smoother and much more forgiving.

23 1,938
 10-14-2017, 05:07 PM
  • Nero
  • No Waxation Without Representation
  • Lanolin-Free or Die
User Info
(10-14-2017, 08:02 AM)Heino Wrote:
went time for alum block, i almost jump through the roof, stunk like hell, i did not feel that bad before the alum block. the irritation on my neck just got worse after the alum..?

- can you be allergic to alum block.. every time i use it seam to make the shave much worse. 

hoping for some advice..

The same thing happened to me when I used alum, so I believe we both are allergic/sensitive.

82 3,444