11-23-2017, 03:45 PM
User Info
(11-23-2017, 09:26 AM)bijou Wrote: Lotus Strawberry Amber strong  backbone with beautiful soft tips Hybrid, 51.5 x 46, 2CLNL2

[Image: SLcqFm5.jpg]
That is a stunning brush!

23 1,938
 11-23-2017, 04:28 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
Thank you,

The backbone on this brush is just beautiful. What has amazed me it that over the last 18 months l've put away all my other brushes and now only use Paladins. I do not need to look for and purchase different types of brushes, Paladin has the handles and knot veriety that I like, though I just ordered a atgshave LE shavemac black and blue Buck Rogers with their unique knot to try out in which I will compare it to a similiar Paladin.

Sent from my SM-T357T using Tapatalk

54 635
 12-06-2017, 11:02 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
I made a comment on this thread about a few Paladin's handles that I thought the color of the lettering did not complement the handle and the Paladin brand (Ken stated in another post that others also made the suggestion in-which he put out those handles with complimenting colors). With in a few weeks as Paladin was putting up new brushes they changed the lettering colors on those handles, Cobalt, Malachite and Tortoise. (below are photo's of the old and new, I purchased 2 of the new)

When Paladin came out with a new knot (2CH3K4) Ken put up a thread about this knot in-which I read his observations and analysis and I made an informed decision and purchased a Chief 26 Malachite with the new gold lettering and new knot.  

A week later Ken reached out to those that purchased a brush with the new knot and went into further detail about the issues with this knot, he also refunded $20. to each one of us. He also gave us a choice about retaining or returning the brush (Ken posted his new observations for others to read).

I decided to retained ownership and here is my short review of this new knot. All of the Paladin knots up to this new knot have substantial density from moderate to strong backbone the, tip feel ranges from tip presence to soft. This new knot has less density with medium backbone (not floppy) then Paladins other knots that have greater density. So after some use I would classify the character of this new knot to be similar to company that most can relate to and that would be a Shavemac 2 band silvertip but with soft tip presence . My experience with Shavemacs are I have 6 Shavemacs 24's and 26's (with their new Unique knot on the way) mostly fans, one bulb in numerous handles, the bulb is the only one that has tip presence, the fans are all cotton soft. 

Please keep in mind this is only my opinion
[Image: HfuMvZl.jpg] [Image: KMaWihb.jpg]

54 635
 12-06-2017, 02:25 PM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
(11-23-2017, 09:26 AM)bijou Wrote: Lotus Strawberry Amber strong  backbone with beautiful soft tips Hybrid, 51.5 x 46, 2CLNL2

[Image: SLcqFm5.jpg]

Beautiful

4 429
 12-08-2017, 07:21 AM
  • TN4
  • Ohio
User Info
Thanks for this post! As someone who has zero experience with Paladin, this is extremely helpful. I am a face latherer, and have been on the lookout for a brush with good backbone yet soft tips. I've heard great things about the Simpsons Chubby 1 and also Paladin. I'm wondering if anyone here has both, and what your thoughts on them are....

2 105
 12-08-2017, 11:32 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(12-08-2017, 07:21 AM)TN4 Wrote: Thanks for this post! As someone who has zero experience with Paladin, this is extremely helpful. I am a face latherer, and have been on the lookout for a brush with good backbone yet soft tips. I've heard great things about the Simpsons Chubby 1 and also Paladin. I'm wondering if anyone here has both, and what your thoughts on them are....
I wish I could help you I haven't used a Simpson Chubby (I had the Chubby 3) 3 band Super (which knot are you asking about Best or 3 band Super) in years, also I didn't enjoy the Chubby or Stubby (Rooney) handles that is why I have not picked up Paladin Falstaff or Winston. 

Please people chime in and correct me. If my faulty memory serves me the Chubby is a dense knot which I like because it produced good backbone for a 3 band. The tip fell as I remember has presence not cloud like soft. As for a Paladin the LD4 knots are superb knots with excellent backbone (LH4 same backbone as the LD4 but will soften up like the LD4 in about 6 lathering). Remember this, the lower the free loft the firmer the backbone, the higher the free loft the more moderate the backbone especially on an already strong backbone knot. Hope this helps.

54 635
 12-08-2017, 02:39 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(12-08-2017, 11:32 AM)bijou Wrote:
(12-08-2017, 07:21 AM)TN4 Wrote: Thanks for this post! As someone who has zero experience with Paladin, this is extremely helpful. I am a face latherer, and have been on the lookout for a brush with good backbone yet soft tips. I've heard great things about the Simpsons Chubby 1 and also Paladin. I'm wondering if anyone here has both, and what your thoughts on them are....
I wish I could help you I haven't used a Simpson Chubby (I had the Chubby 3) 3 band Super (which knot are you asking about Best or 3 band Super) in years, also I didn't enjoy the Chubby or Stubby (Rooney) handles that is why I have not picked up Paladin Falstaff or Winston. 

Please people chime in and correct me. If my faulty memory serves me the Chubby is a dense knot which I like because it produced good backbone for a 3 band. The tip fell as I remember has presence not cloud like soft. As for a Paladin the LD4 knots are superb knots with excellent backbone (LH4 same backbone as the LD4 but will soften up like the LD4 in about 6 lathering). Remember this, the lower the free loft the firmer the backbone, the higher the free loft the more moderate the backbone especially on an already strong backbone knot. Hope this helps.

I’ve no experience with Paladin brushes. However re: Simpsons; my old (Made in England) Chubby 1 Best is scrubby with zero scritch. My newer (M.I.G.B.) Chubby 2 Supers, are soft and slightly scrubby, also with zero scritch - one is a bit scrubbier than the other. My (MiE) CH3 Best is truly just as soft as either of the newer CH2 Supers. All are a joy to use.

For a brush with excellent backbone and very, very soft tips I can heartily recommend Epsilon 2 band. I have a 2b and a 3b, both are dense and soft tipped, the 2b has backbone galore. The 3b is as you say, ”cloud-like” with less backbone, due to the nature of the hair shafts. As above, these are also joyful to use.

9 2,946
 12-08-2017, 04:37 PM
  • TN4
  • Ohio
User Info
(12-08-2017, 02:39 PM)chazt Wrote:
(12-08-2017, 11:32 AM)bijou Wrote:

I’ve no experience with Paladin brushes. However re: Simpsons; my old (Made in England) Chubby 1 Best is scrubby with zero scritch. My newer (M.I.G.B.) Chubby 2 Supers, are soft and slightly scrubby, also with zero scritch - one is a bit scrubbier than the other. My (MiE) CH3 Best is truly just as soft as either of the newer CH2 Supers. All are a joy to use.

For a brush with excellent backbone and very, very soft tips I can heartily recommend Epsilon 2 band. I have a 2b and a 3b, both are dense and soft tipped, the 2b has backbone galore. The 3b is as you say, ”cloud-like” with less backbone, due to the nature of the hair shafts. As above, these are also joyful to use.

Thanks so much for the insight! Buying a brush is a really hard decision for me, because with brands like Paladin, they have such a great reputation I think it would be very easy to get one that you really like. The issue is that there are several variables involved in a brush, and there is always the possibility that if you had selected one of the variables differently, you would have loved the brush more. Its like a never-ending game of "what-if". The only thing that helps us "what-iff-ers" are brands like Paladin that generate such widespread acclaim. At least that way we can purchase somewhat confidently!

2 105
 12-08-2017, 04:55 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(12-08-2017, 04:37 PM)TN4 Wrote:
(12-08-2017, 02:39 PM)chazt Wrote:
(12-08-2017, 11:32 AM)bijou Wrote: I wish I could help you I haven't used a Simpson Chubby (I had the Chubby 3) 3 band Super (which knot are you asking about Best or 3 band Super) in years, also I didn't enjoy the Chubby or Stubby (Rooney) handles that is why I have not picked up Paladin Falstaff or Winston. 

Thanks so much for the insight! Buying a brush is a really hard decision for me, because with brands like Paladin, they have such a great reputation I think it would be very easy to get one that you really like. The issue is that there are several variables involved in a brush, and there is always the possibility that if you had selected one of the variables differently, you would have loved the brush more. Its like a never-ending game of "what-if". The only thing that helps us "what-iff-ers" are brands like Paladin that generate such widespread acclaim. At least that way we can purchase somewhat confidently!
I would suggest that you contact Ken at Paladin as well as other brush makers and ask them the questions that will help you make an informed desicion. There will be a few brush makers that you my not be able to reach, so i will suggest you contact the vender selling the item. All the best to you.

54 635
 03-02-2018, 10:56 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
It was another Paladin release and my first thoughts was what new knot and what handles is ken offering. I clicked on the link and then the knot link and low and behold there was a new knot the 2CWHB5 in a 4 paragraph write up with Ken's analysis of its characteristics “a remarkable combination of backbone and softness at the tips”. I was hooked, now just reel me in. I wound up purchasing 2 brushes. 

At the moment I'm in a 28 Paladin phase and my handles of choice for 28's are the PK-47, El Dorado and the Chief though I like my handles to be between 55-60mm, the Chief is a 64.. So I picked up a Chief 28 Kratatoa 55-48 HB5 and a PK-47 28 Jade 56-51 SA5 (Ken stating that this knots has a very similar personality to the 2CLNL2's with some soft tip presence which I thoroughly enjoy).

I normally evaluate a brush after 4-6 lathering unless it's personality is dominant that the brush is not going to change that much no matter how much I use it. To me the 2CWHB5 after the 5 lathering's keeps getting better. This particular knot at 55-48 has the strongest backbone of any knot that I've purchased from Paladin (just my opinion), even more then the LD4's also at 48 free loft which I adore with it's soft tips.

What I like about the HB5 is not only its backbone at 48 FL but its firmness and soft tips. Now its my armature opinion either this batch of hair has shafts that are stronger/thicker (the firmness goes up 60-65% of the shaft) or there's more hair tightly packed in to this knot that gives it it's backbone/firmness. Its the firmness I believe that makes this knot seem denser then other Paladin knots (which characteristically are dense 46-48 FL which I search out in a knot). The wonderful backbone/firmness along with the soft fine tips with a touch of presence at the top quarter of the knot make this brush outstanding for those of us that have been seeking this type of knot/brush. I will also add the tips are uniformly white, this is a very handsome knot.

Kudo's to the Paladin family.
P.S As for shedding of the HB5 knot it lost about 6 hairs during its first cleaning and lathering and 2 on its 2nd lathering. But as I look into a mirror very morning an notice what is missing on the top of my head I'm never concerned about a brush losing some hair as long as it doesn't shed consistently like I once did.

[Image: TaIWeiD.jpg]

54 635
 03-08-2018, 10:00 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
This knot has good medium backbone at 56 x 51 free loft (if the free loft would have been 47-48 the backbone would be stronger/firmer). Like all Paladin knots this knot has good density, the tips have some presence but no scritch but this gives the brush some pleasant lathering character .I have used the brush 6 x's now and its tip presence is softening up. What I expect from this brush in about 6 more lathering's is that the tips will have a soft presence which I might notice but will like with a thin lather, or I will not feel the tips at all with a thick lather.

[Image: 3E70nfC.jpg]Photo: Vivian Maier

54 635
 03-09-2018, 04:25 PM
User Info
Paladin is just an awesome brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 101
 03-13-2018, 02:33 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
PK-47 28 55 x 48 2CWHB5, love the feel of the PK-47 28's. The tips on this brush soften up after 3 lathering. It has excellent strong backbone, density and plush soft tips that are a delight, The 2CWHB5 is a excellent knot.

[Image: V1daFNl.jpg]Photo: Vivian Maier

54 635
 03-25-2018, 11:23 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
I decided I wanted a brush/knot that had a 3 band silvertip feel in a handle I liked, so I went over to the Paladin site and looked over the available brushes (Paladin has become my vendor of choice for the variety they offer). I purchased a PK47 28 Ebony 53.75 x 53.75  2CLND3. The LND3 knot is an older knot that is not available (though Paladin may still have a few lying around) this knot after a few lathering's has very nice soft tips, good density and when the lofts are at 48/49 x 54/55 (I have a few other brushes with this knot and loft configuration) this knot offers good medium backbone. As far a backbone when there is a 4-5mm or more difference between free loft and loft the backbone is greater then when the free loft and loft numbers are somewhat similar. 

I will also mention that density is an important factor to me and density is a characteristic I like in Paladin knots. I know when ken offers a new knot he always mentions the density characteristics in his knot description which factors into my decision to purchase. 

I have one other brush with these characteristics where the loft and free loft are the same but with a hybrid head. This new brush has a fan head that gives a wonderful lathering spread with moderate backbone and good density. To me this is the perfect 3 band soft silvertip in a beautiful handle that makes a nice addition to my rotation.

P.S The same loft configuration at a lower loft vs. a higher loft renders a different backbone.
[Image: 6OqhLPV.jpg]

54 635
 03-27-2018, 10:00 PM
User Info
[Image: reqquZp.jpg]

Finally a 26mm in my Den - wonderful Thumbup

7 1,016
 03-28-2018, 03:12 AM
User Info
(03-27-2018, 10:00 PM)alfredus Wrote: [Image: reqquZp.jpg]

Finally a 26mm in my Den - wonderful Thumbup

Beautiful Sumo, congrats!

17 787
 04-22-2018, 03:08 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
What I look for in a knot is medium to strong backbone, soft tips no tip presence though at times I like to use a brush that has soft tip presence, and finally density is a must. Through the decades I have had multitude of brushes that for their time were considered dense yet were somewhat floppy; compared to the density of the 2 band brushes today there is no comparison.

One other issue people think about/consider is flow through which is regulated by density. For me it's not of any concerned most 2 band brushes have good flow through and 2/3s of my way though a shave I milk the brush. 

Paladin has the density I want, coupled with the knowledge of knots that I get from Ken which includes tip feel, the loft and free loft that is given to each individual brush, this lets me determine the backbone in each of the many types of handle's in various color's that Paladin offers (which is more then any other brush company offers at any given release which includes what's available on their website).

One of the knots I have enjoyed because of the soft tips in various backbone's all with excellent density is the 2CLND3. (there are 2 ND3s I'm not showing a PK47 26 Ivory and a Winston 24 Ivory.

[Image: xD7ln1H.jpg] PK47 28 Ebony fan 53.75 x 53.75       PK47 28 Butterscotch bulb 55 x 51                                                             Photo: Vivian Maier

[Image: 9t6eg6d.jpg] PK47 28 Jade bulb 55.5 x 52   Pk47 28 Lemondrop bulb 55 x 52   Chief 26 Butterscotch bulb 52 x 48                               Photo: Vivian Maier

54 635
 04-25-2018, 12:28 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Paladin brushes are phenomenal!

[Image: lVry0RZ.jpg]
[Image: e1tL2QN.jpg]
[Image: 07yktAB.jpg]

[Image: KN0qHyo.jpg]

[Image: XGsJp9T.jpg]

117 1,695
 04-26-2018, 02:10 PM
User Info
I am struggling with committing to such a cost so early in my journey, but I am also one of those cry once kind of collectors who wants to spend money on items that make a difference right off the bat- instead of chasing my tail. I think one of these will be in my immediate future. Wow, they are truly beautiful.

0 6
 04-26-2018, 02:25 PM
User Info
(04-26-2018, 02:10 PM)Tatuued1 Wrote: I am struggling with committing to such a cost so early in my journey, but I am also one of those cry once kind of collectors who wants to spend money on items that make a difference right off the bat- instead of chasing my tail. I think one of these will be in my immediate future. Wow, they are truly beautiful.

For what it's worth, I think a bit of tail-chasing is probably inevitable in the beginning. It certainly was for me. There's really no substitute for trying different brushes to sort out what you like and don't like, which can change experience, development of technique (e.g., moving from bowl-lathering to face-lathering) etc.

What I did was sample around quite a bit with brushes I picked up on BST forums before paying full-boat retail from premium brushes. At first, I thought it was kinda creepy to use a brush some other guy had owned, but I got over that pretty fast.

Good luck.

3 1,160