05-04-2018, 11:22 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
Now this is only my opinion but I believe if Paladin Brushes would have been available before the French revolution there may not have been a revolution. Men would have been lathering up, shaving and dreaming with each stroke of the brush of wine, women and song; No one would have have had to loose their heads, a happy disposition would have prevailed amongst the people and solutions would have been worked out for a betterment of France. Instead look at all those potential customer who lost their heads. Now please remember this is only my opinion.

Now on to the present here is a El Dorado 28 Ivory 54 x 56 2CSLD4 (this handle and knot would have tamed the savage beast in any century). The LD4 knot is a dream, now if you get a lower free loft the backbone is strong with beautiful soft tips, a higher free loft lightens the firmness. This knot (along with a few others from Paladin) rivals any knot today by any brush maker in backbone, density and lovely soft tips (as far as Paladin handles they're in a class of their own along with knot density). For me I adore this handle and knot combo (I use it often) so I picked up a few more brushes with this knot in different handles.

[Image: QIvwZKq.jpg] Liberty Leading the People by Eugene Delacroix  (French Revolutiion)

52 575
 05-04-2018, 04:42 PM
User Info
(05-04-2018, 11:22 AM)bijou Wrote: Now on to the present here is a El Dorado 28 Ivory 54 x 56 2CSLD4 (this handle and knot would have tamed the savage beast in any century).

That brush is a classic. One of the things Ken does best is to balance the proportions of the knot and handle. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on its performance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 323
 05-07-2018, 10:35 AM
  • Niro884
  • Italian Shaving Enthusiast
  • Stoney Creek, Ontario CANADA
User Info
(05-04-2018, 11:22 AM)bijou Wrote: Now this is only my opinion but I believe if Paladin Brushes would have been available before the French revolution there may not have been a revolution. Men would have been lathering up, shaving and dreaming with each stroke of the brush of wine, women and song; No one would have have had to loose their heads, a happy disposition would have prevailed amongst the people and solutions would have been worked out for a betterment of France. Instead look at all those potential customer who lost their heads. Now please remember this is only my opinion.

Now on to the present here is a El Dorado 28 Ivory 54 x 56 2CSLD4 (this handle and knot would have tamed the savage beast in any century). The LD4 knot is a dream, now if you get a lower free loft the backbone is strong with beautiful soft tips, a higher free loft lightens the firmness. This knot (along with a few others from Paladin) rivals any knot today by any brush maker in backbone, density and lovely soft tips (as far as Paladin handles they're in a class of their own along with knot density). For me I adore this handle and knot combo (I use it often) so I picked up a few more brushes with this knot in different handles.

[Image: QIvwZKq.jpg] Liberty Leading the People by Eugene Delacroix  (French Revolutiion)

That is an exquisite brush in every sense of the word.

56 637
 05-07-2018, 02:02 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(05-07-2018, 10:35 AM)Niro884 Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 11:22 AM)bijou Wrote: Now this is only my opinion but I believe if Paladin Brushes would have been available before the French revolution there may not have been a revolution. Men would have been lathering up, shaving and dreaming with each stroke of the brush of wine, women and song; No one would have have had to loose their heads, a happy disposition would have prevailed amongst the people and solutions would have been worked out for a betterment of France. Instead look at all those potential customer who lost their heads. Now please remember this is only my opinion.

That is an exquisite brush in every sense of the word.
I so agree with you, Paladin does create a thing of beauty.

52 575
 05-07-2018, 04:51 PM
User Info
(05-07-2018, 02:02 PM)bijou Wrote: I so agree with you, Paladin does create a thing of beauty.

Thanks, Steven. But I should repeat the nod to Simpson's M8, the example of which I'm fortunate to possess inspired our El Dorado.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=36149

3 1,122
 05-11-2018, 06:49 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
[Image: YeAH87x.jpg]
The brush that devoured Cleveland                                                                                     Photo: Vivian Maier

[Image: zXxT8ZF.jpg] Now that's some beautiful Doll.                                                                                           Photo: Vivian MaierTop: PK47 26 LI4, Bottom: Chief 28 LI4 (the Chief photo represents the actual depth of the Neptune resin)

52 575
 05-12-2018, 10:18 AM
User Info
[Image: 106HR-004-D18-FRONT.jpg?v=1525972953]
I was able to get one........ Aaaaa

0 266
 05-12-2018, 11:03 AM
User Info
(05-12-2018, 10:18 AM)zipper Wrote: [Image: 106HR-004-D18-FRONT.jpg?v=1525972953]
I was able to get one........ Aaaaa

Awesome, congrats and enjoy! I also have a brush on the way:

[Image: 0fEVBeJ.jpg]

17 771
 05-16-2018, 04:35 AM
  • Niro884
  • Italian Shaving Enthusiast
  • Stoney Creek, Ontario CANADA
User Info
Beauty!

56 637
 05-16-2018, 08:24 AM
User Info
Curious to hear thoughts of those 2 new knots.

0 46
 05-16-2018, 04:59 PM
User Info
(05-16-2018, 08:24 AM)Kehole Wrote: Curious to hear thoughts of those 2 new knots.

Good backbone, nice soft tips, but not as soft as many of my other silvertips. Flow thru is as high as my HMW. This allows for a short drying time in the rack.
I have not lost one hair. I like the Moe handle shape, gives the brush a nice visual and physical  balance. Backbone and loft makes for a perfect face lathering
brush. Density of the knot is greater than my HMW, hairs thinner than the HMW but thicker than my Silvertips. Need more time for a good break in. Oh,
no odor on the first use.

0 266
 05-16-2018, 05:38 PM
User Info
(05-16-2018, 04:59 PM)zipper Wrote: Good backbone, nice soft tips, but not as soft as many of my other silvertips. Flow thru is as high as my HMW. This allows for a short drying time in the rack. <snip>

Backbone and loft makes for a perfect face lathering brush. Density of the knot is greater than my HMW, hairs thinner than the HMW but thicker than my Silvertips. <snip>

FWIW, I think this is spot-on for a 2CWHD5 knot in a 26 mm handle.

3 1,122
 05-16-2018, 05:55 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(05-11-2018, 06:49 PM)bijou Wrote: [Image: YeAH87x.jpg]
The brush that devoured Cleveland                                                                                     Photo: Vivian Maier

[Image: zXxT8ZF.jpg] Now that's some beautiful Doll.                                                                                           Photo: Vivian MaierTop: PK47 26 LI4, Bottom: Chief 28 LI4 (the Chief photo represents the actual depth of the Neptune resin)
This looks amazing, congrats!!

80 3,314
 05-17-2018, 12:52 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(05-16-2018, 05:55 PM)Nero Wrote:
(05-11-2018, 06:49 PM)bijou Wrote: [Image: YeAH87x.jpg]

This looks amazing, congrats!!
Thank you, the brush inspires.

52 575
 05-17-2018, 01:42 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
I agree of what Zipper has written and concurred by Ken about the feel of this knot (2CWHB5) except that after 8 lathering's this knots (I use a pre-shave oil) tip feel has a wonderful soft caressing full presence (density and backbone along with the tip feel makes this brush a slice of heaven). 

Chief 28, Krakatos 48-55 2CWHB5

[Image: FRQlIZK.jpg]
Photo: Vivian Maier

As Lena sings The Lady is a Tramp, her secret for romance is she always tells her man he must use a Paladin when shaving. She does when she shaves her legs, it always puts her in such a good mood.

52 575
 05-21-2018, 03:19 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
If you desire the softest of knots by any ones standards combined with Paladins signature handle and density, the knots below in my opinion are in many ways unequaled. The Paladin knots listed below have this quality. 

2CLNL2 The softest of tips with moderate to medium backbone depending on the free loft to loft ratio. (not available)

2CSLD4 This knot is equal in its tip softness as the 2CLNL2 but with a medium to strong backbone depending on the free loft to loft ratio. (not available)

2CLND3 This knot has a tad less tip softness which is still luxurious by any ones standards (this knot takes about 8 lathering's to blossom (in my experience), and is still available

2CWHB5 (Chief 28 48-55) a knot with a wonderful soft caressing tip presence.

[Image: QkjdYUz.jpg]
Look what I found                             Lotus 26 Jade 48 x 52 2CLNL2,  PK47 28 Ebony 53.75 x 53.75 2CLND3                                                     Photo: Vivian Maier

[Image: ZvwTD0g.jpg]
There, see it! that green beauty 2nd to the left.              EL Dorado 28 Malachite 51 x 55.5 2CSLD4                                                                                   Photo: Vivian Maier

[Image: JdFlXfd.jpg]
 Dads just going to love this brush                          Chief 28 Krakatoa 48 x 55 2CWHB5                                                                                                                      Photo: Vivian Maier

52 575
 Yesterday, 03:40 PM
User Info
So many beautiful options, but for the El Dorado at the top of this third page is just incredible. I am not using badger these days, but a Paladin is one of a very few brushes that might coerce me to try it again.

0 7