10-16-2017, 01:42 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
For whatever reason, I seem to get creamier and slicker lather from the DR Harris Shave Sticks versus the pucks. Does anyone else have the same experience? They should yield the exact same results but for me, they do not.

48 19,963
 10-16-2017, 01:54 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Maybe getting more product in use with the sticks? I actually used the  DRH lavender puck this morning and it performed well though I hadn't used it in some time. 

Cheers, Steve

7 609
 10-16-2017, 02:11 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(10-16-2017, 01:54 PM)Steve56 Wrote: Maybe getting more product in use with the sticks? I actually used the  DRH lavender puck this morning and it performed well though I hadn't used it in some time. 

Cheers, Steve

This is likely what is going on and also what makes it so frustrating that the sticks are so small. They don't last long with regular use.

48 19,963
 10-16-2017, 02:30 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I've never gotten a good lather from the stick.

Of course I should actually try one before drawing any conclusions.  Dodgy 

I am a fan of their soaps, they are actually the baseline by which I judge other products by.  If they aren't as good as DRH they get re-purposed or passed along, if better than it's a keeper.

156 2,880
 10-16-2017, 02:39 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I ended up using the Windsor( puck) as a hand soap.

Not necessarily a bad soap, but I have tried many better ones. Not to mention that while their scents are pretty nice, you almost can't detect any scent during shaving.

The stick is more expensive than the puck, though it's less than half of the puck, 40g. Same product in different form. You clearly pay for the container.

I really don't think that D.R. Harris soaps are better than the Valobra pucks or stick, or even some less expensive soaps.

58 2,346
 10-16-2017, 03:35 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Small is good sometimes, they certainly pack well and I re-use the tubes for other soaps - wish I could find some empties. I have some MdC in one now for travel because a pure coconut oil soap will lather in just about any water.

I have a Windsor stick, I'll give it a whirl in the next day or so. I do agree that the Valobra stick is better. Are they still making it, I had heard rumors that it was discontinued? I have used a used halfway puck (about 50g) of Czech and Speake in a tin that fits it for travel too, that's really hard to beat.

Cheers, Steve

7 609
 10-16-2017, 05:26 PM
User Info
Mushed my Sandalwood stick into a Proraso container a while back. Definitely more lather, because it's softer.

I discontinued using Harris soaps due to the exorbitant 40g shave stick price. Still using their aftershave balms though.

0 37
 10-16-2017, 05:31 PM
User Info
(10-16-2017, 01:42 PM)bullgoose Wrote: For whatever reason, I seem to get creamier and slicker lather from the DR Harris Shave Sticks versus the pucks. Does anyone else have the same experience? They should yield the exact same results but for me, they do not.

I have the opposite experience; none of my stick shaves have ever been truly satisfactory. I believe the symptom is how much I load - not that I aim for less with the stick, but it seems to happen that way.

Oh, and even if I figured out the loading and started getting amazing shaves, I wouldn't buy another stick for price purposes. There are plenty of travel options in my den (primarily Palmolive sticks).

6 1,004
 10-16-2017, 07:25 PM
User Info
I have an Arlington stick which treats me rather well (never tried D R Harris pucks). That said, I didn’t have great luck with Mystic Waters pucks - but a generous member here (@IIam) included a MW shave stick in a BST I purchased from him - and the stick works much better.

29 1,567
 10-17-2017, 04:02 PM
User Info
This thread inspired me to pick up a stick of Arlington!

82 1,712
 10-18-2017, 12:35 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(10-16-2017, 02:39 PM)nikos.a Wrote: I ended up using the Windsor( puck) as a hand soap.

Not necessarily a bad soap, but I have tried many better ones. Not to mention that while their scents are pretty nice, you almost can't detect any scent during shaving.

The stick is more expensive than the puck, though it's less than half of the puck, 40g. Same product in different form. You clearly pay for the container.

I really don't think that D.R. Harris soaps are better than the Valobra pucks or stick, or even some less expensive soaps.

To me, the container is the whole point. I've always assumed the purpose of sticks is for travel. The only stick that I have that I leave as a stick is DR Harris. All the others, excellent performers all, I grate into bowls.

8 2,531
 10-18-2017, 01:46 PM
  • Nero
  • No Waxation Without Representation
  • Lanolin-Free or Die
User Info
(10-16-2017, 01:42 PM)bullgoose Wrote: For whatever reason, I seem to get creamier and slicker lather from the DR Harris Shave Sticks versus the pucks. Does anyone else have the same experience? They should yield the exact same results but for me, they do not.

Phil,
Are you saying:
1. If you use each product in the same manner (both rubbed on your face, and/or both lathered with a brush on the stick/puck material)?
2. If you use each product how they were individually intended (stick rubbed on beard, but puck loaded with brush)?

I assume #2 but not totally sure.

82 3,444
 10-20-2017, 06:23 PM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
I wish more soaps came in a stick form

12 609
 10-20-2017, 07:17 PM
User Info
(10-20-2017, 06:23 PM)JRRIII Wrote: I wish more soaps came in a stick form

I do as well , sticks usually offer less soap and I enjoy not having so much soap while being able to enjoy a variety. Far easier to use then smashing tiny samples into palm bowls as well.

82 1,712
 10-20-2017, 07:37 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(10-18-2017, 01:46 PM)Nero Wrote:

Phil,
Are you saying:
1. If you use each product in the same manner (both rubbed on your face, and/or both lathered with a brush on the stick/puck material)?
2. If you use each product how they were individually intended (stick rubbed on beard, but puck loaded with brush)?

Sorry... I just saw this. Yes, I meant if you used the products as intended (#2)

48 19,963
 10-21-2017, 04:23 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I've had trouble with D.R. Harris soap pucks in general.  I use mostly softer soaps and I just wasn't loading enough product, soaking the puck and using it very regularly helped a lot.  Once the puck had a absorbed some water It started producing great lather.

10 1,726
 10-21-2017, 11:56 AM
User Info
(10-21-2017, 04:23 AM)Sully Wrote: I've had trouble with D.R. Harris soap pucks in general.  I use mostly softer soaps and I just wasn't loading enough product, soaking the puck and using it very regularly helped a lot.  Once the puck had a absorbed some water It started producing great lather.
So true! I think that's why the stick doesn't work so well for me. I also find that a little water on top while I soak my brush helps with the puck.

6 1,004
 10-21-2017, 12:49 PM
  • Nero
  • No Waxation Without Representation
  • Lanolin-Free or Die
User Info
(10-20-2017, 07:37 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(10-18-2017, 01:46 PM)Nero Wrote:

Phil,
Are you saying:

Sorry... I just saw this. Yes, I meant if you used the products as intended (#2)

I will have to check it out.
I will try out my Arlington stick tonight.
(It's the only DRH stick I have, but honestly never use it.)

... then tomorrow/soon I will load from the Arlington puck, and see what happens.

As far as weather forecast, today and tomorrow could be the last chance at Arlington (warm weather scent) for a while
:o
So this is PERFECT timing

Very soon it will be Marlborough and Almond season!!

82 3,444
 10-21-2017, 01:26 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(10-21-2017, 12:49 PM)Nero Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 07:37 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(10-18-2017, 01:46 PM)Nero Wrote: Phil,
Are you saying:

I will have to check it out.  
I will try out my Arlington stick tonight.
(It's the only DRH stick I have, but honestly never use it.)

... then tomorrow/soon I will load from the Arlington puck, and see what happens.

As far as weather forecast, today and tomorrow could be the last chance at Arlington (warm weather scent) for a while
:o
So this is PERFECT timing

Very soon it will be Marlborough and Almond season!!
It is still very much warm weather season here. Can you believe that they are predicting 98 degrees at the beach this week and 102 in downtown L.A. I still cannot get used to the fact that October is usually the warmest month of the year in Los Angeles.

48 19,963
 10-22-2017, 07:26 AM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
(10-16-2017, 02:30 PM)blzrfn Wrote: I've never gotten a good lather from the stick.

Same  here. I wound up grating the stick into a bowl with great results. Even with my well water, I never had a problem lathering any of my Harris pucks.

1 225