10-16-2017, 11:02 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Anyone used these? Anyone have a view? Are they re-packaged 74s? They date from 1991 and 1992.

[Image: SVo3eSN.jpg]
[Image: 4nfuWwk.jpg]

0 1,815
 10-18-2017, 02:08 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Odds are they are, although I never knew they were still available that late. I have a few of those in 20 packs. The card and dispenser read just like yours but the blades are marked as Personna 74s.

7 2,351
 10-18-2017, 02:16 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
I hope it's alright to post a link to a different shaving forum but this might help clear things up although the images aren't there anymore
https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/thr...ng.210170/

7 2,351
 10-18-2017, 02:16 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
I am very keen to know if anyone has experience shaving with these, or they've been seen by anyone else. 

You sound like you have a good stash of 74s, Mouser Smile

0 1,815
 10-18-2017, 04:49 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
(10-18-2017, 02:16 AM)Shaun Wrote: I am very keen to know if anyone has experience shaving with these, or they've been seen by anyone else. 

I do. Probably enough to last the rest of my shaving-myself-lifetime. Along with enough other vintage blades to last as long. Most that you find for sell are priced for collectors and you really can't justify the cost for actually using them. Even when those blades were new they cost more, relatively speaking, than current ones do today. That's because the target market was vastly different, mainly a developed first-world market that wanted and could afford a better made product. Today probably 90% or more are third world men. Blades are made to a lower, more affordable standard. Because of my circumstances I have the time scour what's available among vintage offerings and then to bid very low on a large number of them and maybe slip one or two that somehow fly under the radar and land in my lap at a cost per shave comparable or even under current blades for a markedly better shave. The best, for me, are the P74s and the even harder to find Wilkinson Sword Light Brigades. At a close second are the rest of what I use..Gillette Platinum Plus and Spoilers, Schick Plus Platinums, Super Stainless and Stainless, Personna Super Stainless both the G.B. and U.S.A. ones. Then there are the carbon blades, I'm very careful and demanding about the packaging and even where they're from on those but  it's worth it.

7 2,351
 10-18-2017, 05:06 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(10-18-2017, 04:49 AM)Mouser Wrote:
(10-18-2017, 02:16 AM)Shaun Wrote: I am very keen to know if anyone has experience shaving with these, or they've been seen by anyone else. 

I do. Probably enough to last the rest of my shaving-myself-lifetime. Along with enough other vintage blades to last as long. Most that you find for sell are priced for collectors and you really can't justify the cost for actually using them. Even when those blades were new they cost more, relatively speaking, than current ones do today. That's because the target market was vastly different, mainly a developed first-world market that wanted and could afford a better made product. Today probably 90% or more are third world men. Blades are made to a lower, more affordable standard. Because of my circumstances I have the time scour what's available among vintage offerings and then to bid very low on a large number of them and maybe slip one or two that somehow fly under the radar and land in my lap at a cost per shave comparable or even under current blades for a markedly better shave. The best, for me, are the P74s and the even harder to find Wilkinson Sword Light Brigades. At a close second are the rest of what I use..Gillette Platinum Plus and Spoilers, Schick Plus Platinums, Super Stainless and Stainless, Personna Super Stainless both the G.B. and U.S.A. ones. Then there are the carbon blades, I'm very careful and demanding about the packaging and even where they're from on those but  it's worth it.

Have you tried these later version Personnas? The Super Platinum Chromes?

0 1,815
 10-22-2017, 02:41 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
(10-18-2017, 05:06 AM)Shaun Wrote:
(10-18-2017, 04:49 AM)Mouser Wrote:

Have you tried these later version Personnas? The Super Platinum Chromes?

Sorry to take so long to respond Shaun, yes I have used them back when I was still using modern blades and they worked very well for me.

7 2,351
 10-22-2017, 02:54 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
Thank you. I am looking forward to trying them out. 

I didn't pay too much for them (I think): in US dollar terms about 95c per blade. More than Astras, yes Smile

0 1,815
 10-22-2017, 11:16 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
I loaded up one of these with a Gillette Popular 45, which is a slightly aggressive razor, and lathered well. The blade was hard to get out of the dispenser, I have to say, being a little stuck; I gripped the end with a pair of small pliers and gently pulled it out, making sure not to damage the blade.

Not a bad shave, but not miraculous. The results is very good though. I had a Polsilver Brown in this razor and it was proving a little rough. The Platinum was a distinct improvement.

I will use the same blade tomorrow, but load it into another razor just to see if it make any kind of difference. Sometimes blades improve after the first shave, of course. The first round was a bit 'tuggy'. I know changing to a different razor will affect the feeling, of course, but I'm keen to see either way.

If it is a nice, better shave, I'l know the blades are very good. I'm weighing up whether or not to buy up the rest of the available stock. I'm certainly not in any hurry. If I do get them all, I'd be happy to pass one or two forward (Australia only).

Shaun

0 1,815
 10-23-2017, 03:08 PM
User Info
Would love to try the 74s one day I keep an eye out for them but no luck so far.

61 1,582
 10-23-2017, 10:06 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Ok, today, shave No. 2, this time the (same) blade is in a #21 British Aristocrat. A discernible, improved difference and a much smoother shave. 

The objective now is to see how long the blade will last before I either get bored with it or it is becomes dull and uncomfortable. If I get past 7 shaves, I'll declare it a favourite blade, but so far it is up against the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (St Petersburg Blue). If it gets past 10, it'll be a clear winner. I'm going to be brutally honest.

0 1,815
 10-24-2017, 12:33 AM
User Info
(10-23-2017, 10:06 PM)Shaun Wrote: Ok, today, shave No. 2, this time the (same) blade is in a #21 British Aristocrat. A discernible, improved difference and a much smoother shave. 

The objective now is to see how long the blade will last before I either get bored with it or it is becomes dull and uncomfortable. If I get past 7 shaves, I'll declare it a favourite blade, but so far it is up against the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (St Petersburg Blue). If it gets past 10, it'll be a clear winner. I'm going to be brutally honest.
I get at least 20 shaves. It is my favorite blade.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

19 593
 11-02-2017, 07:35 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Ok, I managed shave number 11 and I am really stretching the friendship here, sooo...... I'll try a fresh blade tomorrow in a different razor - maybe a #22 Aristocrat or an HD 500 - just to get a different perspective.

Not bad blades, but not revelatory brilliant either. Better than many others, however. For me, the 7 O'Clock Blue Super Platinum still has the edge (boom...tish!) but I'm willing to continue to experiment.

0 1,815
 11-03-2017, 01:47 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
I should tell you guys that one thing I  always do with vintage blades before first use is strop top and bottom of both edges on an old pair of jeans. About 10 times.  Seems to make that first time go smoother.

7 2,351