08-28-2012, 09:29 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I got myself a sample of this fine cream and shaved with it this morning.
I didn't love the scent on the first sniff and I also didn't like it lathered up. This is all for cons.
It lathered with very little effort, slick and rich, with great moisturizing properties.
My cream was dried up, probably because there was a small amount squirted into a mini jar. Regular size jar is probably "creamy".
Conclusion:
Scent is very personal thing, if you are thinking of spending money on this expensive product, I suggest you buy a sample, I am happy that I did, I will not be purchasing this product again.

88 4,233
 08-28-2012, 09:33 AM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
(08-28-2012, 09:29 AM)beartrap Wrote: I got myself a sample of this fine cream and shaved with it this morning.
I didn't love the scent on the first sniff and I also didn't like it lathered up. This is all for cons.
It lathered with very little effort, slick and rich, with great moisturizing properties.
My cream was dried up, probably because there was a small amount squirted into a mini jar. Regular size jar is probably "creamy".
Conclusion:
Scent is very personal thing, if you are thinking of spending money on this expensive product, I suggest you buy a sample, I am happy that I did, I will not be purchasing this product again.

I think that's how the cream is, like a soft soap. I bought the sample gift set from the BST here, haven't used it yet, though. I do like the scent, I guess it is a YMMV thing.

10 1,120
 08-28-2012, 09:50 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Thank you for the review!

I love the scent of the AdP Colonia as well as the other two EdT's as well as the RazoRock XXX but I refuse to pay the AdP price.

I will happily pay for MdC, something that I consider a finely crafted, artisan product that outperforms almost everything else but AdP seems so pricey to me in a "designer" way. Kind of priced how it is "because they can based on the name" as opposed to a truly superior product even though it does get great reviews.

Creams costing a fraction of it's price get similar reviews plus I can get soooo near that fragrance with XXX. Smile

6 905
 08-28-2012, 10:08 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(08-28-2012, 09:33 AM)MickToley Wrote:
(08-28-2012, 09:29 AM)beartrap Wrote: I got myself a sample of this fine cream and shaved with it this morning.
Conclusion:

I think that's how the cream is, like a soft soap. I bought the sample gift set from the BST here, haven't used it yet, though. I do like the scent, I guess it is a YMMV thing.

Can someone confirm? The big cream jar is actually a croap?

88 4,233
 08-28-2012, 10:36 AM
User Info
(08-28-2012, 10:08 AM)beartrap Wrote: Can someone confirm? The big cream jar is actually a croap?

Yes, I have the jar and it actually is a soft soap rather than a cream. The tube version is said to be an actual cream.

184 12,003
 08-28-2012, 11:21 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Its actually one of my favorite shaving creams.Well,the jar one smells a little bit different than the tube one,and I find the tube one to have a better skin care due to its lanolin (the tub one version doesn't have lanolin).The fragrance is on the top and If I say that its close to number one (which is,for me,Creed Original Vetiver shaving soap) I wouldn't be lying.

86 7,124
 08-28-2012, 12:03 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Not a fan of vetiver either, maybe that's why I am passing on this one.

88 4,233
 08-28-2012, 08:03 PM
User Info
Thanks for the info, Steve.

75 20,883
 08-30-2012, 03:49 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(08-28-2012, 12:03 PM)beartrap Wrote: Not a fan of vetiver either, maybe that's why I am passing on this one.

This one does not have vetiver to my nose at least.

45 16,359
 08-30-2012, 03:50 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(08-28-2012, 11:21 AM)Teiste Wrote: Its actually one of my favorite shaving creams.Well,the jar one smells a little bit different than the tube one,and I find the tube one to have a better skin care due to its lanolin (the tub one version doesn't have lanolin).The fragrance is on the top and If I say that its close to number one (which is,for me,Creed Original Vetiver shaving soap) I wouldn't be lying.

Me too! I may have to use it in the next day or two. I still have a new back-up jar of the cream and the aftershave that I have not cracked open yet so there is no reason for me to conserve it. Biggrin

45 16,359
 08-30-2012, 03:53 PM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
Notes:
Bergamot, Citrus, Lemon, Bitter Orange, Sweet Orange, English Lavender, Bulgarian or Damascene Rose, Verbena, Clary Sage, Rosemary, Cedarwood, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Oakmoss.

10 1,120
 08-30-2012, 04:05 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
Interesting...I do not pick up the vetiver. With that many notes though...it isn't surprising.

45 16,359
 08-31-2012, 03:07 PM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
I tried my sample out yesterday. I absolutely love the smell. It almost reminds me of the saddle soap we use at the barn. The performance was top notch. I didn't realize how expensive it was, until after I shaved and immediately went to buy a jar. I think I will hold off for a bit Confused

The a/s smells fantastic as well. I've yet to try the balm, but that will be tonight.

9 408
 08-31-2012, 03:09 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
It must be me... My mother always said I was different Tongue 24

EDIT: I am saying how this scent is not me, how I will put it back up on B/S/T, but I can't bring myself up to do it. Open, smell, don't like, close. Will do the same tomorrow Biggrin

88 4,233
 08-31-2012, 05:47 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-31-2012, 03:07 PM)biggiej42 Wrote: I tried my sample out yesterday. I absolutely love the smell. It almost reminds me of the saddle soap we use at the barn. The performance was top notch. I didn't realize how expensive it was, until after I shaved and immediately went to buy a jar. I think I will hold off for a bit Confused

The a/s smells fantastic as well. I've yet to try the balm, but that will be tonight.

Get some RazoRock XXX instead.Biggrin

86 7,124
 09-11-2012, 05:24 PM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
(08-31-2012, 05:47 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(08-31-2012, 03:07 PM)biggiej42 Wrote: I tried my sample out yesterday. I absolutely love the smell. It almost reminds me of the saddle soap we use at the barn. The performance was top notch. I didn't realize how expensive it was, until after I shaved and immediately went to buy a jar. I think I will hold off for a bit Confused

Get some RazoRock XXX instead.Biggrin

Wish I had read your response before I bought a jar of AdP. Is it really that similar? I may pick up some XXX just for comparison and give it a shot.

9 408
 09-11-2012, 05:31 PM
User Info
Despite their ingredients lists being just about the same (which doesn't necessarily mean proportions are the same), I like AdP more than RR XXX. To me they're not the same at all. And the XXX gives me a rash, while the AdP does not.

184 12,003
 09-11-2012, 05:35 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Justin if you want a sample of XXX hit me up. The scent is close but the performance of adp is better

116 3,804
 09-11-2012, 06:23 PM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
Thanks Dave! I may just take you up on that. I'm willing to try anything once.

9 408
 09-11-2012, 06:25 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
(09-11-2012, 06:23 PM)biggiej42 Wrote: Thanks Dave! I may just take you up on that. I'm willing to try anything once.

And most things twiceBiggrin

116 3,804