10-21-2017, 04:27 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(10-20-2017, 11:57 AM)chazt Wrote: I'm glad to hear that cortisone worked so well for you for so many years. It had limited effect for me. 1-2 weeks tops.

As I mentioned, the 2007 cortisone shot lasted more than eight years; the September 2016 shot lasted about as long as yours did.  I have no explanation for the radical disparity.

(10-20-2017, 11:57 AM)chazt Wrote: Ingested NSAIDs wreak havoc with my duadenal ulcer, so they're out of the equation.
I neglected to mention that I've tried many topical preparations; from numbing agents to NSAIDs to creams and balms infused with tetrahydracannabinol. Nothing, nada, zero, zilch.

My introduction to diclofenac was the cute little applicator bottle that my sister-in-law gave to me:

[Image: CA4di0R.jpg]

It looks like a toilet bowl cleaner bottle that shrank in the wash, doesn’t it?  (Looking at it again, I see that I misremembered the katakana when I wrote the previous post:  the Japanese transliteration of diclofenac is zhikurohuenaku, not dekurohuenaku.)  Inside the blue cap is a sponge through which the liquid flows.  As I mentioned, it was more effective as a topical remedy than Ben-Gay or methyl salicylate ointment.  But it differs from those OTC salves and ointments in that it passes into the bloodstream; so applying it, for instance, to my right knee (which was by far the worse one) also effected some relief of the pain in the left knee. Topical application is an alternative means to get diclofenac into one’s system without attacking the stomach lining.  

I should add (so I guess that I shall add) that diclofenac differs from aspirin, Tylenol, Advil, or Aleve also in the location of the pain that it relieves.  I very, very rarely (maybe once a year) take an NSAID for a headache, for instance, but my understanding is that diclofenac would not do as much for my headache, anyway.  Diclofenac is more a muscle and joint specific analgesic, and in that respect it is more like methyl salicylate than like aspirin.  

There will be some pain in the immediate post surgery period, and it is good to have a variety of arrows in your quiver to be able to address that so you can get some needed sleep.  Fortunately, in my one experience with a TKA, and in the experience of my acquaintances who have had one or more TKAs, the recovery period — at least so far as the pain goes — is fairly short, so the light at the end of the tunnel is not far away.  (You mentioned strengthening your quads.  Did your doctor explain to you that he or she is going to slice the quad vertically for almost its entire length to get at the bones in the knee?  It sounds gruesome, but the strength will return to the quad eventually. In the meantime, the flesh on the outside half of the incision, the right side of a right knee or the left side of the left knee, will be strangely numb for a few weeks, but there, too, normality will gradually return.)  

1 1,102
 10-25-2017, 05:45 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Charlie, somehow I missed this.
Sorry for your struggles. I think you're on to better days. I agree with your approach through the years... you've done all you could, conservative first.
At least you have shaving and guitar to keep the mind entertained during the recoop.
Good luck with everything.

62 2,910
 10-26-2017, 10:29 AM
User Info
About 4 years ago at the age of 39 I had my right shoulder replaced. I played along with therapy but eventually the scans showed the arthritis of a 65 year old. Had the talk about a replacement at that age but not being able to sleep and not being able to get my arm over my head I was all for the surgery.

Recovery was uncomfortable but 4 years later glad I took the knife.

Enjoy the new knee.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

0 84
 10-26-2017, 07:37 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(10-25-2017, 05:45 PM)Nero Wrote: Charlie, somehow I missed this.
Sorry for your struggles. I think you're on to better days. I agree with your approach through the years... you've done all you could, conservative first.
At least you have shaving and guitar to keep the mind entertained during the recoop.
Good luck with everything.

Thanks for the good wishes, Matt. I’ll likely be in the hospital for 2 nights. To pass the down time I plan on bringing a well stocked Dopp kit and my wife’s little Taylor GS Mini. And my smart phone to stay connected. Six weeks away and counting...

7 2,288
 10-26-2017, 07:44 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(10-26-2017, 10:29 AM)jaxstraww Wrote: About 4 years ago at the age of 39 I had my right shoulder replaced. I played along with therapy but eventually the scans showed the arthritis of a 65 year old. Had the talk about a replacement at that age but not being able to sleep and not being able to get my arm over my head I was all for the surgery.

Recovery was uncomfortable but 4 years later glad I took the knife.

Enjoy the new knee.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks, Jax. I’m expecting recovery to be a bear, but am finally mentally prepared. It’s Bear’s Choice!! Biggrin

You were probably the youngest joint replacement patient on Shakedown Street!

7 2,288
 10-31-2017, 07:12 AM
User Info
Charlie, i had my left knee replaced in oct of 2005 and it handled all the problems.  pt was tough but really necessary.  I trust all data from Steelman.  they said at that time to choose which knee i wanted done and the other has not been a problem since. you will fly through this     Dave

74 1,309
 10-31-2017, 05:13 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(10-31-2017, 07:12 AM)daveinsweethome Wrote: Charlie, i had my left knee replaced in oct of 2005 and it handled all the problems.  pt was tough but really necessary.  I trust all data from Steelman.  they said at that time to choose which knee i wanted done and the other has not been a problem since. you will fly through this     Dave

Dave, thanks for the good thoughts. I’m glad to hear that your experience was successful. If I could get away with doing only one knee I’d do so, but it’s not a realistic option as I’d undoubtedly be back on the table in under a year. Everyone I’ve spoken with who’s had similar experiences has said to do them at the same time because you DON’T want to go through it a second time. It’ll hurt like hell for a couple of weeks, but I’m doing it, baby!

7 2,288
 10-31-2017, 05:24 PM
User Info
You've got the right attitude Charlie, and that's a major part of a successful recovery.

50 6,277
 10-31-2017, 07:41 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(10-31-2017, 05:24 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: You've got the right attitude Charlie, and that's a major part of a successful recovery.
Thanks for saying so, Ricardo. I’ll be moving forward in all conceivable ways!

7 2,288