11-25-2017, 08:06 PM
User Info
(11-25-2017, 06:15 PM)chazt Wrote: Dave, that must have been an agonizing six hours. Was it obvious to you right from the start that something was wrong?

being right after the surgery I was doped up but yes it was.  without the surgery meds I would have been climbing the walls but that muted it. about 2 hrs later it did hit. that second nurse was a god sent.  another great part of this was that I religiously went to physical therapy which was counter to my stupid I can handle this instincts.  in the end I consider this the most successful of all the surgeries I have had.  the actual hardware is pretty amazing and cool.

81 1,471
 11-25-2017, 08:11 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Wow! I just opened my browser and you posted a minute ago! I agree about going to PT. I went for months at a time following my first three surgeries. I'll take all the help I can get Smile

15 3,796
 12-01-2017, 08:20 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Just a little over a week now. Pre-surgical testing results have been reviewed by the surgeon and my primary care physician who has signed off on presurgical clearance. Now it's just a matter of waiting...

15 3,796
 12-01-2017, 08:27 AM
User Info
Best wishes Charlie, you will do fine and in a couple months feel like a new man

48 736
 12-01-2017, 01:31 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(12-01-2017, 08:27 AM)LuvWetShavin Wrote: Best wishes Charlie, you will do fine and in a couple months feel like a new man

Thanks for that. It sure beats feeling like an old man!

15 3,796
 12-02-2017, 06:17 PM
User Info
(10-19-2017, 07:05 PM)chazt Wrote: Long story short.

I've been plagued with worsening bilateral osteoarthritis in my knees for 12 years. In that time I've had 3 arthroscopies (2, right and 1, left), two years of physical therapy, a bajillion and one cortisone shots, two rounds of hyaluronic acid "gel" shots, stem cell therapy and PRP therapy. I've exhausted all medical options short of total joint replacement. Tried like hell to avoid such major surgery.

This afternoon I consulted with a third doctor, with 2 more surgical consultations scheduled over the next 2 weeks. I liked today's surgeon the best so far - his attitude, approach, overall presentation, thoughts, etc. He listened to me. This doctor was recommended by my friend and chiropractor who had a total knee replacement operation with him a few months ago.

Despite the upcoming final two consultations, I scheduled a date of December 11 with today's doctor. I am sooo ready!

Please share your experiences.

Thank you.
All the best to you.

My only experience is with an ACL repair.  Pretty painful for a week or so, which is to be expected.  But doc had me up on it in a week or so.  Hardest (and most painful) aspect was the PT.  Only advice there is to do every last bit of PT they give you - and then some.  Do not skimp.  It'll pay dividends in the end with overall strength and mobility.

Again - all the best.  I'm sure you'll be glad you did it.  Good luck!

0 482
 12-02-2017, 06:53 PM
User Info
Glad to see the first, and perhaps most difficult part, is over now. On the road to recovery!

36 1,924
 12-02-2017, 07:59 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Y’know what, Mike? The hardest part so far really was wrapping my head around actually doing such major surgery. Eight days to go and time slows down.

15 3,796
 12-02-2017, 08:34 PM
User Info
Best of luck to you, Charlie.  Thumbsup

91 21,284
 12-03-2017, 06:02 AM
User Info
No direct experience with major knee surgery, but the advice given about the PT is right on from what I've seen with my neighbors surgery.

Good luck with it!

32 6,584
 12-03-2017, 07:23 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(12-02-2017, 08:34 PM)celestino Wrote: Best of luck to you, Charlie.  Thumbsup

Thank you, Celestino. I appreciate your support.

15 3,796
 12-03-2017, 07:28 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(12-02-2017, 06:17 PM)Niemander Wrote: All the best to you.

My only experience is with an ACL repair.  Pretty painful for a week or so, which is to be expected.  But doc had me up on it in a week or so.  Hardest (and most painful) aspect was the PT.  Only advice there is to do every last bit of PT they give you - and then some.  Do not skimp.  It'll pay dividends in the end with overall strength and mobility.

Again - all the best.  I'm sure you'll be glad you did it.  Good luck!

Thanks, Niemander. You are so right about PT. After each of my previous three surgeries I did six months of PT. I know it helps. Thanks for the support!

15 3,796
 12-03-2017, 07:43 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(12-03-2017, 06:02 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: No direct experience with major knee surgery, but the advice given about the PT is right on from what I've seen with my neighbors surgery.

Good luck with it!

Thanks, Brian. I plan to follow my father-in-law's example and be an animal when it comes to therapy. At the age of 80 he had a knee replacement and 5 1/2 weeks later was vacationing in Hawaii, touring everywhere tourists go; walking, climbing, etc. The guy was Superman!

Thanks for the good wishes!

15 3,796
 12-04-2017, 03:07 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Ok, so less than a week to go now. I’m definitely getting a bit antsy. Tying up loose ends at work - they found a leave replacement for me, btw. And no, don’t go calling me Wally Pipp just yet. I’ve still got some game left in me...

btw, I read over the materials the hospital people gave me - listen to this... no shaving (anywhere. their word) for two days prior to surgery. So it looks like Friday evening will be my last shave before the operations. No matter how close I get, by Monday I’ll look like a bum! Grumble, grumble, grumble...

But then I’ll have new knees!

15 3,796
 12-04-2017, 04:09 PM
User Info
(12-04-2017, 03:07 PM)chazt Wrote: Ok, so less than a week to go now. I’m definitely getting a bit antsy. Tying up loose ends at work - they found a leave replacement for me, btw. And no, don’t go calling me Wally Pipp just yet. I’ve still got some game left in me...

btw, I read over the materials the hospital people gave me - listen to this... no shaving (anywhere. their word) for two days prior to surgery. So it looks like Friday evening will be my last shave before the operations. No matter how close I get, by Monday I’ll look like a bum! Grumble, grumble, grumble...

What's the reasoning behind not shaving the face for two days prior?

60 9,701
 12-04-2017, 05:14 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(12-04-2017, 04:09 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 03:07 PM)chazt Wrote: Ok, so less than a week to go now. I’m definitely getting a bit antsy. Tying up loose ends at work - they found a leave replacement for me, btw. And no, don’t go calling me Wally Pipp just yet. I’ve still got some game left in me...

What's the reasoning behind not shaving the face for two days prior?

Infection. They’re big on trying to avoid things like that. Seriously. Nasal swabs for 5 days prior, full body disinfecting swabification the night before, the whole Megillah. The hospital staff and the surgeon as well all tout their superlative records in that area, and freely point that out to anyone who’ll listen. I’m going with it. Biggrin

15 3,796
 12-05-2017, 03:16 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(12-04-2017, 03:07 PM)chazt Wrote: - listen to this... no shaving (anywhere. their word) for two days prior to surgery. So it looks like Friday evening will be my last shave before the operations. No matter how close I get, by Monday I’ll look like a bum! Grumble, grumble, grumble...

Whoa!  You are getting both knees done at the same time?  You’re a brave man, Charlie Brown!  
(Yeah, I know that your surname is not Brown.)

You will be in my thoughts and prayers.  If this were showbiz, I would say, “break a leg,” but that seems somehow inappropriate for a TKA.  

1 1,388
 12-05-2017, 03:21 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Yes, that would be a cruel mishap!

Thanks for the good wishes, Tom Smile

15 3,796
 12-05-2017, 10:17 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(12-05-2017, 03:21 AM)chazt Wrote: Yes, that would be a cruel mishap!

Thanks for the good wishes, Tom Smile

Overnight, two other things popped up from memory as to which you have time to take action this work week, before surgery:  

1.  See this post here on Shavenook; it should be self-explanatory.

2.  You are going to want a toilet seat riser (sits on top pf the existing toilet seat) for a couple of weeks after the surgery; trust me on this.  Toilet seat risers are easy to find and inexpensive at Walgreen’s or Target or Wal*Mart. After your knees have been cut open, the degree of control that your own muscles can exert over the angle of extension of your knee between about 135° and about 90° will be somewhere between zero and almost-zero, and just allowing gravity to plop you down onto the commode from a butt distance of 6 inches to a foot or so above the landing spot is no fun; getting up from the throne is not much easier than the sitting down aspect during the first couple weeks of recovery.

Again, the best of luck to you.

1 1,388
 12-06-2017, 04:19 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Both of those accoutrements are accounted for, Tom. Thanks for pointing it out though. Perhaps this thread and its combined experiences will help others in the future.

Wednesday morning... started with the nasal antibiotic earlier. Twice a day through Sunday night.

Two more parent meetings this week and two staff meetings. Then I shall meet no more! Not until March, anyway.

Good morning, All!

15 3,796