12-13-2017, 02:42 AM
User Info
Hang in there Charlie!  You'll improve every day.

51 6,630
 12-13-2017, 04:20 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Good morning, Ricardo. Thanks for checking in Smile

They moved me to a new room last evening. So much noisier and busier here on this floor. What a shock to my system.

Despite that, there was no fire alarm last night, so I got about 6 1/2 hours of sleep with only 1 brief interruption for medicine. I feel much more like myself this morning. One of my doctor’s associate came by about 30 minutes ago and he seemed pleased with my progress and status. The man next to me has a CPM machine on his right leg. I kinda wish my surgeon had ordered one for me, but he wants me to do the work. Last night before passing out I took my longest walk so far. Man it was exhausting! But I’m ready for more.

The old orthopedic saying “ice is your friend” is true. I agree, ice is good.

Oh, and finally!!!! There’s a mirror on the wall in this room!! It looks like a shave is in my future. Haven’t had a clean face since last Thursday. So glad I brought the Dopp kit...

Ttyl Smile

7 2,441
 12-13-2017, 06:12 AM
User Info
Glad a shave is in your future Charlie.  How's the food?  Do you have any appetite?

22 1,921
 12-13-2017, 06:20 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Hi Tom. Y’know what? The food doesn’t suck. It’s easy enough to get down. Waiting for breakfast at the moment. I had to wait before ordering. Was feeling some intense pain about an hour ago. Eating was the last thing from my mind. Ready now.

7 2,441
 12-13-2017, 01:20 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(12-12-2017, 03:35 PM)chazt Wrote: I want to hear, “gentlemen, it’s medication time.”

What meds are they dosing you with?  In the first week, I had the experience of being dosed at various times with hydrocordone/paracetanol, hydromorpone, and Dilaudid,  It might have gone better for me if any of the nurses who dosed me Dilaudid had explained that Dilaudid works best, not when swallowed (when most of it will simply pass through the system and get excreted) but as a sublingual (dissolved under the tongue, where it will be more effectively absorbed into the body); I discovered that only after I was home and did some on-line research.  Of the three, sublingual Dilaudid proved to be the most effective opioid pain reliever for me.

In any event, I dropped all opioids within the first ten days to two weeks, and simply used the NSAID diclofenac sodium, which (a) is non-addictive, and (b) for my body chemistry proved more effective in relieving pain than any of the opioid medications.

1 1,120
 12-13-2017, 04:06 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Hi Tom. They gave Dilauded. It seems to ease the pain and not make me sick as does OxyContin. I’m also taking some kind of time released somethingorother. Plus Tylenol and Advil as necessary and one 325 enteric coated aspirin twice a day to prevent clotting.

I’M HOME BABY!!!!!

7 2,441
 12-13-2017, 05:43 PM
User Info
Glad you're home, best wishes on a speedy recovery ... make sure to mind the physical therapist  Biggrin

30 578
 12-13-2017, 05:57 PM
User Info
It's great news that you're home Charlie.

51 6,630
 12-14-2017, 05:35 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(12-13-2017, 05:43 PM)LuvWetShavin Wrote: Glad you're home, best wishes on a speedy recovery ... make sure to mind the physical therapist  Biggrin
Yep, you're right. The home care nurse and PT are expected today.

(12-13-2017, 05:57 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: It's great news that you're home Charlie.
Ricardo, it's so quiet at home. No BEEPs or DINGs. I slept in my own bed, next to my wife. And brother let me tell you, Gayle is amazing. She's the absolute Best! I'm forever in her debt.

7 2,441
 12-15-2017, 04:39 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I finally shaved last evening. What a treat!

Gayle thought it would be too difficult, but for my head I simply HAD to take a shave. It was a week without, and I looked and felt so grungy.

Used the razor, blades and brush from my Dopp kit, but added in some Old Virginia soap in addition to the Latha unscented. Hot diggity!

7 2,441
 12-15-2017, 05:11 AM
User Info
(12-15-2017, 04:39 AM)chazt Wrote: I finally shaved last evening. What a treat!

Gayle thought it would be too difficult, but for my head I simply HAD to take a shave. It was a week without, and I looked and felt so grungy.

Used the razor, blades and brush from my Dopp kit, but added in some Old Virginia soap in addition to the Latha unscented. Hot diggity!

I figured you'd feel better once you shaved!  By the way, Old Virginia is an excellent soap.  I rate it as the top tobacco soap, because the sweetness moderates, but doesn't overwhelm, the pure tobacco scent.

Keep moving Charlie.  That's the key to a quick and successful recovery.

51 6,630
 12-15-2017, 01:09 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(12-15-2017, 05:11 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(12-15-2017, 04:39 AM)chazt Wrote: I finally shaved last evening. What a treat!

I figured you'd feel better once you shaved!  By the way, Old Virginia is an excellent soap.  I rate it as the top tobacco soap, because the sweetness moderates, but doesn't overwhelm, the pure tobacco scent.

Keep moving Charlie.  That's the key to a quick and successful recovery.

Oh yeah. When I awoke this morning and felt a cleaner face my mood was so much lighter. I’m thinking i’ll shave again tomorrow morning.

Ricardo, thanks so much for checking in with me. It’s nice to know there are people who care.

7 2,441
 12-16-2017, 07:58 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Some things I’ve learned in no particular order.

* If you drink water before going to sleep, have at least 2 urinals at the ready (luckily the H gave me two upon discharge).
* Expect to sleep a lot.
* The portable commode seat needs to be redesigned.
* A good shave does wonders for your frame of mind.
* You can sit on the commode, lid down, to shave in front of the bathroom mirror.
* Shrinkage may result from more than just swimming (please refer to season 5, episode 20 of “Seinfeld”).
* Wearing the non-slip hospital socks at home is smart.

As more realizations come to mind I’ll post further updates.

7 2,441
 12-16-2017, 09:08 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(12-16-2017, 07:58 AM)chazt Wrote: * Expect to sleep a lot.

Yr obdnt srvnt went a span of five decades in which nothing larger than a hypodermic needle penetrated his epidermis, but in 2006, one required, in close succession, two surgeries to repair “things” in the nether regions.  (Hernia repair in January, and radical prostratetctomy in April.)  Nobody warned me or mentioned, even in passing, of a major side effect of the two surgeries:  Although both surgeries were successful, with the hoped-for results, at my age (then 63-64), after the second surgery, for a period of six to eight months, I needed 12 to 14 hours of sleep per diem, instead of my until-then habitual average of 8 hours per diem.  When I discussed that effect with my general practice/internist physician, he said that the likely culprit was the anaesthesia administered during the surgery.  The major effects wear off within hours, but the residual effects have a much longer half-life, measured in months, not hours.  Indeed, by the end of the calendar year, I was back to 8 hours per night, but through a large portion of 2006, I was the pooper of the party.

(12-16-2017, 07:58 AM)chazt Wrote: * You can sit on the commode, lid down, to shave in front of the bathroom mirror.

That kind of depends upon whether the commode is in front of the sink, facing the mirror over the sink, does it not?  (Not to mention that it depends, also, upon whether the toilet fixture is a lowboy or ADA height.)

1 1,120
 12-17-2017, 03:29 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Sorry, I meant the portable commode they send home with you from the hospital.

7 2,441
 12-17-2017, 06:17 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(12-17-2017, 03:29 AM)chazt Wrote: Sorry, I meant the portable commode they send home with you from the hospital.

Aha!  The hospital where my surgery was performed was stingy:  when I was discharged, the hospital did not give me even a replacement Band-Aid fir the foot long one protecting the incision.  (And no retailer sells foot-long Band-Aids in consumer level quantities.)  So I never experienced the Joy of Commoding (didn’t Irma Rombauer — or was it Erma Bombeck — write a book with that title?) with a portable commode.   Wink

1 1,120
 12-17-2017, 06:44 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(12-17-2017, 06:17 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(12-17-2017, 03:29 AM)chazt Wrote: Sorry, I meant the portable commode they send home with you from the hospital.

Aha!  The hospital where my surgery was performed was stingy:  when I was discharged, the hospital did not give me even a replacement Band-Aid fir the foot long one protecting the incision.  (And no retailer sells foot-long Band-Aids in consumer level quantities.)  So I never experienced the Joy of Commoding (didn’t Irma Rombauer — or was it Erma Bombeck — write a book with that title?) with a portable commode.   Wink

Obviously the author’s tongue was placed firmly in cheek. As there is no joy in Mudville, there is no joy in commoding. Perhaps if the seat was elongated it might be a bit more functional... will discuss this with the nurse tomorrow.

I’m not familiar with book you mentioned. Will do a little research. Nothing else to do. My mother was a huge fan of Erma Bombeck, btw. Mom literally laughed out loud when reading EB’s books. Thanks for bringing back the memories of the sound of my Mom’s laughter.

7 2,441
 12-17-2017, 03:04 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Noticeably increased range of motion today. I mean , an inch or so, but clearly. Pain comes and goes in waves. Gayle is righteous. Without her i’m a lump. Physical therapist seemed pleased. Gotta get up to move soon. Ice baby ice. Sorry. Ok. Gtg.

7 2,441
 12-17-2017, 07:57 PM
User Info
Glad to hear recoup is going well!  Yep - ice, and then more ice - and then yeah, more ice still...  Smile

Oh, and PT, PT, PT, PT - and a good shave.  Smile

Best of luck on your rehab!

0 413
 12-17-2017, 10:12 PM
User Info
It seems you're doing well.  Continue. Lots of us are of that age and we support you.

32 6,479