01-05-2018, 05:45 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(01-05-2018, 04:40 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(01-04-2018, 09:22 AM)chazt Wrote: The doctor was very impressed with his work. Gave me a few pointers on how to step, stride, etc. He told me not to be concerned about the clicking. I’ve heard this before. Apparently clicking of articulating parts will do that. I’ll set off metal detectors.

Surgeons are like that.  My knee surgeon, in his final pre-op check, signs his name n the knee to be operated on, in indelible ink, to make sure that he operates on the correct knee.  In the post-op examination, he checked on the status of his still-visible signature, and congratulated himself (and me) on how well he had done.  

The clinic with which my surgeon is affiliated has several satellite locations around the metro area to be accessible to patients, and, of course, each of the surgeons has his or her own all-day surgery schedule one or two days a week; my surgeon thus is able to share his examination room and consultation space with another senior surgeon; the staff just changes the name on the door according to who will be using the rooms that day.  Although I chose to have PT at a separate, unaffiliated facility, as luck would have it, “my” therapist formerly had worked in the same clinic where my surgeon does most of his examinations.  She told me that, among the PTs who worked there, the patienta who had had knee surgery by Dr. R (the other surgeon) all commented upon the clicking in their repaired knees, while almost none of the patients (like me) whose surgery had been performed by Dr. C (my surgeon) had that experience.  So, within the clinic, the sound and sensation were known as “the R Click” (with the surgeon’s full surname, not just the initial).  When I passed on the story to Dr. C, he grinned and said that he was not boasting, but ...

The TSA screening system at airports is still working out bugs, and I find it a frequent occasion of wonderment.  For years, I have routinely had a TSA Pre-Check on my boarding pass (frequent flyer and old coot, I am not regarded as a threat), but I now have to go through the full screening *every *single *time.  I always warn the TSA personnel that I have a chunk of chromium cobalt in my knee, and it sometimes, more-often-than-not, shows up on the X-rays . . . but sometimes does not.  OTOH, every time I get scanned, a dark area shows up on the X-ray between my shoulder blades; I have NO idea why.  I have a titanium wristwatch that I did not need to remove and that never set off an alarm before the knee surgery, and belts with non-threatening buckle materials that have not showed up on the occasions when I was randomly selected for a scan; but now, because of the knee, I have to strip all but nekkid before going through the scanner, and — get this — I have to put my boarding pass, the one just issued to me by the kiosk in the airport lobby, in the tray to be x-rayed and swabbed for possible gunpowder residue.  All because of the metal in one knee.

Life in the 21st century.

Way to go Dr. C!

I was told there’s some sort of document I can carry that may help with TSA.

7 2,439
 01-06-2018, 06:34 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
The sciatica has been creeping back. It’s insidious. I’ve found walking helps as well as anything else. Sleeping is difficult.

Got my first tub of Mike’s delivered yesterday. Unscented, of course. It’s on deck for today’s birthday shave. I’m thinking Chubby 3 and a Schick injector.

7 2,439
 01-06-2018, 04:33 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(01-05-2018, 05:45 PM)chazt Wrote: I was told there’s some sort of document I can carry that may help with TSA.

Not wanting to be the bearer of bad news, I must advise you not to count on it.  Apparently, there is some degree of local discretion among airports, and many of the minor rules (such as whether or not laptop computers must be removed from their sleeves for scanning) differ from airport to airport.  Because of the possibility of forgery and the checking stations being ill-equipped to detect forgeries, most airports will not accept written documentation in lieu of a physical scan.  As noted, I always tell the TSA agent in advance that my knee will set off an alarm, but the meta-rule appears to be that if there is anything that sets off any alarm, then the passenger will get the full scan treatment, right down to an X-ray of the boarding pass, within which it would be really difficult to conceal explosives.  

1 1,119
 01-06-2018, 04:40 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Yes, quite. Wink

7 2,439
 01-06-2018, 04:48 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(01-06-2018, 06:34 AM)chazt Wrote: Got my first tub of Mike’s delivered yesterday. Unscented, of course. It’s on deck for today’s birthday shave. I’m thinking Chubby 3 and a Schick injector.

So once I began to think clearly, it was a simple case of duh. Mike’s, check. P-Red preshave, Dickinson’s witch hazel, P-Red AS splash. Check, check, check. Hold the phone, now. Check this out. I’m 59, born in ‘59, so, duh! out comes the Simpsons 59 with an E1 Red Tip with a freshly stropped IP. Boom chugga lugga.

7 2,439
 01-10-2018, 01:11 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Started outpatient PT today. Did all kinds of painful things. Even rode a stationary bike for 5 minutes. The bike was fun and easier than expected. Initially I'll be going three times a week, 1 1/2 hours per session.

Smile

7 2,439