11-03-2017, 02:36 AM
User Info
I'm from Ohio and a Buckeyes fan, hate buying anything made in Michigan ... Joking !  Mike's is some top notch soap that stays in my rotation. I especially like the bay rum and orange cedarwood and need to try some others

43 718
 11-03-2017, 03:19 AM
User Info
Great soap!

4 1,030
 11-03-2017, 05:52 AM
  • Boonie21
  • Soapy Science Soaps
  • Atlanta, Ga
User Info
(11-03-2017, 03:19 AM)ColdRiverSoap Wrote: Great soap!

So is yours Smile

103 1,665
 11-05-2017, 01:33 PM
User Info
(11-03-2017, 05:52 AM)Boonie21 Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 03:19 AM)ColdRiverSoap Wrote: Great soap!

So is yours Smile

I agree with both of you. CRSW and Mike's are both great!

20 245
 11-05-2017, 10:53 PM
User Info
Never had a bad shave from using Mike's. It will get used more frequently during the coming winter and we will see how well it stacks up to my newer soaps in the rotation.

83 1,520
 01-01-2018, 06:25 PM
User Info
Grabbed a Mike’s soap for today’s shave for the first time in a little while, used the orange/cedarwood/black pepper. It was a nice reminder of the quality of this soap, I feel like I’ve been using some really good soaps lately and Mike’s still measures up.

8 128
 01-01-2018, 08:25 PM
User Info
Mikes is great, and I’m my quest to whittle down my collection I’ve noticed it lasts a long time! Some small batch soaps seem to disappear three times as fast. I’m not complaining, I just keep enjoying my Hungarian Lavender day after day.

0 276
 01-01-2018, 11:04 PM
User Info
(01-01-2018, 08:25 PM)TYdeFan05 Wrote: Mikes is great, and I’m my quest to whittle down my collection I’ve noticed it lasts a long time!  Some small batch soaps seem to disappear three times as fast.  I’m not complaining, I just keep enjoying my Hungarian Lavender day after day.

Good to know. I love Mike's Hungarian Lavender, but have only used it about 3-4 times so I had yet to determine how fast it goes. Another great, longer lasting soap is Haslinger, if you haven't tried it yet. Very subtle scents though.

6 922
 01-02-2018, 05:09 AM
User Info
Still my favorite soap! I've used up 5 tubs total since I started using Mike's soaps (2 Barbershop, 2 Orange, Cedarwood and Black Pepper, and 1 Pine and Cedarwood).  For my preferences it gives a magnificent performance and a very neutral (read excellent) post-shave.

75 2,374
 01-02-2018, 07:28 AM
User Info
One of my favorites.  It will always have a spot in my rotation.

It doesn't garner the hype that other soaps do, but it consistently exceptional.  And...it is the same formulation.  No upgrades.  No "new and improved"!

-Mark

11 176
 01-02-2018, 07:43 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
I wish he'd UPGRADE to a lanolin-free formula.
I'd buy three tins of the Pine and Cedarwood in half a heartbeat.

80 3,321
 01-02-2018, 07:55 AM
User Info
(01-02-2018, 07:43 AM)Nero Wrote: I wish he'd UPGRADE to a lanolin-free formula.

I feel for you on this one Matt, I think you'd absolutely love this soap.

75 2,374
 01-02-2018, 08:57 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(01-02-2018, 07:55 AM)merkur man Wrote:
(01-02-2018, 07:43 AM)Nero Wrote: I wish he'd UPGRADE to a lanolin-free formula.

: )
Thanks Nathan... it drives me nuts that I can't use lanolin!!

80 3,321
 01-02-2018, 08:59 AM
User Info
(01-02-2018, 07:28 AM)Whiskey Sour Wrote: One of my favorites.  It will always have a spot in my rotation.

It doesn't garner the hype that other soaps do, but it consistently exceptional.  And...it is the same formulation.  No upgrades.  No "new and improved"!

-Mark

I know, I rarely hear about it Mikes on reddit!

Mikes is one of my favorites and I have enough to last me a couple years.

I Think his soap could benefit from a upgrade. The new breed of soaps mainly from artisans like WK, CRSW and GD perform above Mikes these days. Mikes does not have the slickness of those and for me the post shave is so-so. I'd put Mikes on even footing with B&M Glissant and a little above Reserve. Don't get me wrong, Mikes is a great soap and still has a spot in my ever growing rotation but after using soaps like WK, CRSW and GD it does seem lacking. That being said I do love Hungarian Lavender!

0 109
 01-02-2018, 08:59 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info

Oh, and btw... I've owned the Pine and Cedarwood when I first started shaving... I think it was my first soap (though I had a few creams prior)... I loved the scent. 
I don't understand why there are still so few evergreen scents out there.  Single note or double.

80 3,321
 01-02-2018, 09:57 AM
User Info
(01-02-2018, 08:59 AM)Nero Wrote:

Oh, and btw... I've owned the Pine and Cedarwood when I first started shaving... I think it was my first soap (though I had a few creams prior)... I loved the scent. 
I don't understand why there are still so few evergreen scents out there.  Single note or double.

It is an excellent scent.

75 2,374
 01-02-2018, 11:06 AM
User Info
(01-02-2018, 08:59 AM)shavealife Wrote:
(01-02-2018, 07:28 AM)Whiskey Sour Wrote: One of my favorites.  It will always have a spot in my rotation.

-Mark

I Think his soap could benefit from a upgrade. The new breed of soaps mainly from artisans like WK, CRSW and GD perform above Mikes these days. Mikes does not have the slickness of those and for me the post shave is so-so. I'd put Mikes on even footing with B&M Glissant and a little above Reserve. Don't get me wrong, Mikes is a great soap and still has a spot in my ever growing rotation but after using soaps like WK, CRSW and GD it does seem lacking. That being said I do love Hungarian Lavender!

I think it's admirable that Mike hasn't gotten caught up in the trend of constant reformulation. Of course, that's why he doesn't get as much talk on Reddit - new formulas, new scents, limited editions, all keep people talking. And since Glissant and Reserve are pretty new formulas, it sounds more like B&M has caught up to Mike's formula, rather than Mike needing a formula upgrade. Smile

6 922
 01-02-2018, 11:19 AM
User Info
(01-02-2018, 11:06 AM)Gig103 Wrote:
(01-02-2018, 08:59 AM)shavealife Wrote:

-Mark

I think it's admirable that Mike hasn't gotten caught up in the trend of constant reformulation. Of course, that's why he doesn't get as much talk on Reddit - new formulas, new scents, limited editions, all keep people talking. And since Glissant and Reserve are pretty new formulas, it sounds more like B&M has caught up to Mike's formula, rather than Mike needing a formula upgrade. Smile

This!  Mike's needs no changes.   In fact I'd take Mike's Natural (done well of course) over any of the others mentioned in the previous thread.  It's just excellent stuff.  The thing that all of these new soaps have on Mike's is ease of building an excellent lather.  The new ones are so soft that it's simple to load up enough in a couple of seconds.  Mike's take a long time to load up sufficient product, hence lots of people use it when it isn't really at it's best.

75 2,374
 01-02-2018, 11:48 AM
User Info
(01-02-2018, 11:19 AM)merkur man Wrote:
(01-02-2018, 11:06 AM)Gig103 Wrote:
(01-02-2018, 08:59 AM)shavealife Wrote: I know, I rarely hear about it Mikes on reddit!

This!  Mike's needs no changes.   In fact I'd take Mike's Natural (done well of course) over any of the others mentioned in the previous thread.  It's just excellent stuff.  The thing that all of these new soaps have on Mike's is ease of building an excellent lather.  The new ones are so soft that it's simple to load up enough in a couple of seconds.  Mike's take a long time to load up sufficient product, hence lots of people use it when it isn't really at it's best.

The fact that Mike's almost always sold out of the scents I like seems to be a testament to his popularity... and while changing his formula might bring up interest and get new customer in, it can also drive old, repeat customers out.

Mike's is a thirsty soap in my experience, and trickier than some to get the loading just right. Once you hit the sweet spot though... wondrous lather.

3 5,341
 01-02-2018, 12:48 PM
User Info
Mike’s soaps are absolutely thirsty, but my drive to whittle down the soap collection has driven me to pick a soap and use it until it’s gone. It’s amazing how many of my own opinions I’ve overturned when i used a soap consistently for a few weeks or months. Opinions on scent, skin care, lather etc. mean so much less from guys who got a new soap yesterday and decided to write it off forever. Live with it a few (dozen) more shaves then write a review or post that video. Not to discourage first impressions, but give products a chance before tossing them aside!

0 276