10-20-2017, 09:10 AM
User Info
After some minor delays, the Level Two Sabre is nearly here. Those who love the smoothness and ease of use of the Sabre, but wished for a bit more efficiency will find the Level Two base plate to be a welcome addition to the den.

What did we change?

To sufficiently bump up the aggressiveness we did two things. First we increased the blade gap from 0.6mm to 0.9mm. Then we shortened the safety bar to increase the blade feel and exposure. These two changes work together to create an efficient razor with a bit of blade feel while still maintaining the smoothness and ease of use that makes the Sabre such a phenomenal platform.

Production is scheduled to be fully completed on Monday. With some luck we’ll have these available next weekend. The Level Two base plates will be available both individually as well as part of an assembled Sabre.

[Image: 6iIE03A.jpg]

0 672
 10-20-2017, 09:28 AM
User Info
Price for just the baseplate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 261
 10-20-2017, 09:37 AM
User Info
(10-20-2017, 09:28 AM)Bobusa Wrote: Price for just the baseplate?

It will be priced similarly to the Blackbird base plates at around $80.

0 672
 10-20-2017, 09:56 AM
User Info
(10-20-2017, 09:37 AM)Blackland Razors Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 09:28 AM)Bobusa Wrote: Price for just the baseplate?

It will be priced similarly to the Blackbird base plates at around $80.

Thanks

18 261
 10-20-2017, 10:25 AM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
Shane, if you rate the current Sabre's aggressiveness as 5/10, and the Blackbird open comb at 6.5/10, how would you rate the new version of the Sabre?

6 374
 10-20-2017, 10:49 AM
User Info
(10-20-2017, 10:25 AM)pbrmhl Wrote: Shane, if you rate the current Sabre's aggressiveness as 5/10, and the Blackbird open comb at 6.5/10, how would you rate the new version of the Sabre?

I've been giving this some thought lately and I think my scale is faulty so it will be tweaked. The L2 Sabre sits between the L1 and the Blackbird.

Here is the conundrum: An aggressiveness rating helps customers learn a lot about the razor at a glance, but it can also spook people away. There are, generally speaking, two components to aggressiveness: efficiency and comfort (irritation, nicks, etc.). The Blackbird (in my opinion) is as efficient as razors that would be rated at a 9 on the scale, but not nearly as rough with a much lower risk of cuts. So if I rate it on efficiency, it comes out at something like a 9. But a 9 might also infer that it is uncomfortable, creates nicks, and leads to irritation and I don't find that to be accurate. So by placing it at a 6.5 the idea is that people looking for a mid-aggressive razor that won't tear the skin off their face will be pleasantly surprised by the efficiency of the Blackbird. That same customer may have been scared off if I rated it a 9.

Similarly the L1 Sabre is highly comfortable and safe, but (again, in my opinion) is fairly efficient. It may be safe like a 2 or 3, but I don't think that fairly represents the efficiency that I get from it. What will be probably happen is that I'll adjust the L1 Sabre down on the scale and shift the Blackbird up to make room for the L2. The L2 is probably deserving of a 5.5-6 if the L1 becomes a 4 and the Blackbird becomes a 7.

When there were only two razors, the numbers were just simple ways to say that this razor is mid-aggressive and that is razor somewhere in the middle. Adding more razors necessitates that the numbers on the scale have real meaning.

0 672
 10-20-2017, 11:41 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Now that makes sense....all this mumble jumble is confusing...what you like the best is all that matters....after a while that is all you use...unless you are a collector and shall we say "have issues".......

6 2,040
 10-20-2017, 02:19 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
(10-20-2017, 10:49 AM)Blackland Razors Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 10:25 AM)pbrmhl Wrote: Shane, if you rate the current Sabre's aggressiveness as 5/10, and the Blackbird open comb at 6.5/10, how would you rate the new version of the Sabre?

I've been giving this some thought lately and I think my scale is faulty so it will be tweaked. The L2 Sabre sits between the L1 and the Blackbird.

Here is the conundrum: An aggressiveness rating helps customers learn a lot about the razor at a glance, but it can also spook people away. There are, generally speaking, two components to aggressiveness: efficiency and comfort (irritation, nicks, etc.). The Blackbird (in my opinion) is as efficient as razors that would be rated at a 9 on the scale, but not nearly as rough with a much lower risk of cuts. So if I rate it on efficiency, it comes out at something like a 9. But a 9 might also infer that it is uncomfortable, creates nicks, and leads to irritation and I don't find that to be accurate. So by placing it at a 6.5 the idea is that people looking for a mid-aggressive razor that won't tear the skin off their face will be pleasantly surprised by the efficiency of the Blackbird. That same customer may have been scared off if I rated it a 9.

Similarly the L1 Sabre is highly comfortable and safe, but (again, in my opinion) is fairly efficient. It may be safe like a 2 or 3, but I don't think that fairly represents the efficiency that I get from it. What will be probably happen is that I'll adjust the L1 Sabre down on the scale and shift the Blackbird up to make room for the L2. The L2 is probably deserving of a 5.5-6 if the L1 becomes a 4 and the Blackbird becomes a 7.

When there were only two razors, the numbers were just simple ways to say that this razor is mid-aggressive and that is razor somewhere in the middle. Adding more razors necessitates that the numbers on the scale have real meaning.

I agree that "aggressiveness" can be misleading. Have you thought of posting two ratings--one for efficiency, and one for "aggressiveness," or "blade-forward factor," or something similar? I agree that my Blackbird open comb is extremely efficient, but not inclined to bite, and thus not "aggressive." I can certainly feel the blade on the Blackbird. In fact, I don't know that I have another DE that has more blade feel than the Blackbird (except maybe the Le Coq cage comb), but some are less friendly (e.g., the Ikon Tech).

6 374
 10-20-2017, 02:25 PM
User Info
(10-20-2017, 02:19 PM)pbrmhl Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 10:49 AM)Blackland Razors Wrote:

I agree that "aggressiveness" can be misleading. Have you thought of posting two ratings--one for efficiency, and one for "aggressiveness," or "blade-forward factor," or something similar? I agree that my Blackbird open comb is extremely efficient, but not inclined to bite, and thus not "aggressive." I can certainly feel the blade on the Blackbird. In fact, I don't know that I have another DE that has more blade feel than the Blackbird (except maybe the Le Coq cage comb), but some are less friendly (e.g., the Ikon Tech).

Yes I have considered this. The issue is reeducation. Aggressiveness is currently the main term used to describe razors.

0 672
 10-20-2017, 04:56 PM
User Info
Definitely looking forward to reports on this.  The distinction between aggressive vs efficient is an interesting one.  References to a razor being mild put me off.  But mild and efficient...maybe thats work for me.

18 1,679
 10-20-2017, 05:10 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
(10-20-2017, 02:25 PM)Blackland Razors Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 02:19 PM)pbrmhl Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 10:49 AM)Blackland Razors Wrote: I've been giving this some thought lately and I think my scale is faulty so it will be tweaked. The L2 Sabre sits between the L1 and the Blackbird.

Yes I have considered this. The issue is reeducation. Aggressiveness is currently the main term used to describe razors.

Shane, you can lead the revolution! “Aggressiveness” is such a muddy, misleading, misunderstood concept. To me, the distinguishing factor of the Blackbird open comb is that it’s “aggressive,” yet non-threatening, and thus one of my favorite DEs. I hope my L2 Sabre (when I get it) is similar. I’m really enjoying my Rocnel SE-G, for example, as well as my army of vintage aggressive Gem-blade razors (British 1912, 1914, 1924 and MMOC), but there’s always room for another filly in my stable (as long as it’s sufficiently efficient).

6 374
 10-20-2017, 05:49 PM
User Info
(10-20-2017, 05:10 PM)pbrmhl Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 02:25 PM)Blackland Razors Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 02:19 PM)pbrmhl Wrote: I agree that "aggressiveness" can be misleading. Have you thought of posting two ratings--one for efficiency, and one for "aggressiveness," or "blade-forward factor," or something similar? I agree that my Blackbird open comb is extremely efficient, but not inclined to bite, and thus not "aggressive." I can certainly feel the blade on the Blackbird. In fact, I don't know that I have another DE that has more blade feel than the Blackbird (except maybe the Le Coq cage comb), but some are less friendly (e.g., the Ikon Tech).

Shane, you can lead the revolution! “Aggressiveness” is such a muddy, misleading, misunderstood concept. To me, the distinguishing factor of the Blackbird open comb is that it’s “aggressive,” yet non-threatening, and thus one of my favorite DEs. I hope my L2 Sabre (when I get it) is similar. I’m really enjoying my Rocnel SE-G, for example, as well as my army of vintage aggressive Gem-blade razors (British 1912, 1914, 1924 and MMOC), but there’s always room for another filly in my stable (as long as it’s sufficiently efficient).

I completely agree that "aggressive" is an inadequate term for razors.

The L2 isn't quite as efficient as the Blackbird, but it requires less focus and effort while giving me very similar results to the Blackbird. The Sabre platform was created to incredibly smooth and easy to use. Our 30-day return policy gives you a good excuse to try it out!

0 672
 10-20-2017, 05:52 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
(10-20-2017, 05:49 PM)Blackland Razors Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 05:10 PM)pbrmhl Wrote:
(10-20-2017, 02:25 PM)Blackland Razors Wrote: Yes I have considered this. The issue is reeducation. Aggressiveness is currently the main term used to describe razors.

I completely agree that "aggressive" is an inadequate term for razors.

The L2 isn't quite as efficient as the Blackbird, but it requires less focus and effort while giving me very similar results to the Blackbird. The Sabre platform was created to incredibly smooth and easy to use. Our 30-day return policy gives you a good excuse to try it out!

Don’t worry, Shane—I’m planning on it!

6 374