10-21-2017, 05:16 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I have been shaving with Saponificio Varesino Stella Alpina for the last 2 months, and I have been very happy with it’s performance. So much that I would like to try another SV soap but am not sure which. Does anyone have a recommendation, or do they all exhibit similar performance, i.e., it comes down to scent preference?

Thanks for the input.

And if anyone has that slate shave dish they used to sell, I’m looking for one.

Thanks,

Andrew

43 1,709
 10-21-2017, 05:51 PM
User Info
I’m quite fond of 70th anniversary. The a/s tonic is equally good. 

[Image: 58penks.jpg]

29 1,563
 10-21-2017, 06:26 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Flying Mango is rather special! And Phil is planning to bring it back in a new updated soap base soon!

119 1,737
 10-21-2017, 07:09 PM
User Info
(10-21-2017, 06:26 PM)ARGH Wrote: Flying Mango is rather special! And Phil is planning to bring it back in a new updated soap base soon!

Signs011 http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...ight=mango

53 8,215
 10-21-2017, 09:36 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
Cosmo, mango, 70th all wonderfull, fern new 4.3 great scent, great lathering

54 662
 10-21-2017, 10:48 PM
User Info
I have dolomiti, felce and manna. Tundra is on the way.

My favorite SV is the dolomiti, which is the all black puck. I love all three scents actually but if I had to choose, it would be the soothing and uplifting scent of the dolomiti.

0 108
 10-22-2017, 01:17 AM
User Info
(10-21-2017, 05:16 PM)Andrew Wrote: I have been shaving with Saponificio Varesino Stella Alpina for the last 2 months, and I have been very happy with it’s performance. So much that I would like to try another SV soap but am not sure which. Does anyone have a recommendation, or do they all exhibit similar performance, i.e., it comes down to scent preference?

Thanks for the input.

And if anyone has that slate shave dish they used to sell, I’m looking for one.

Thanks,

Andrew

Sorry Andrew but I don't have a slate dish for you. But, I myself love Stella Alpina as well. I find it to be one of the better value of all around great performance among the entire line. I would give Manna di Sicilia 4.3 a shot next. If you want something that is going to be on the thick and dense side, after you put the water in Cosmo, I think it is some of the more protective lather and will lead to a very nice post shave. 

If I were to daily shave with an SV soap, it would be Felce Aromatica 4.3 and then Tundra Artica. At this point, I think these would be the most proactive to keeping my skin clear and blemish free.But normally, I like to shave about every 3 days. I look for thick lather (usually very thirsty soaps), nice protection during the shave and to get the skin feeling comfortable after the rinse and before the aftershave application. I am sure the Flying mango 4.3 will be a hit. I have been very happy with the original formulation and look forward to buying the updated formulation. 

Andrew,what are you shaving with, de, se, straight,etc?

[Image: goAYPib.jpg][Image: dnZo6Vv.jpg][Image: qppbEbM.jpg][Image: 1isbxCr.jpg][Image: 0oGXzSF.jpg][Image: dDhtsMQ.jpg]

83 1,604
 10-22-2017, 03:47 AM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
I have Stella (4.3), Tundra Artica (4.1), and the Colonia they made for Bullgoose (4.1). Performance from all is equally excellent. The scents are as good as any soaps I've tried. Tundra is the best cool weather choice out of the three, but I find them all to be pretty versatile and appropriate to all types of weather.

4 475
 10-22-2017, 05:30 AM
  • Nero
  • No Waxation Without Representation
  • Lanolin-Free or Die
User Info
In terms of soap formula, I personally wouldn't go backwards.
I would stay with the 4.3.

All told, I'm not super impressed by SV scents, as they smell just a bit synthetic (like cleaning solution, or cheap colognes) and smell as if purchased off-the-shelf (not originally developed by SV).

Also, I almost always found the lather consistency difficult/impossible to get to my liking. Usually I ended up loading too much (with no warning during loading, a unique issue to SV, IMO) and the lather would be too thick and would cause an unenjoyable shave.

82 3,444
 10-22-2017, 06:01 AM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
I have the 70th, Dolomiti and Cosmos.

IMHO - Cosmos.

63 1,751
 10-22-2017, 08:26 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Thanks for all of the good input, gents. I appreciate the insights and opinions. @MaxP, you have listed 2 of my top 3 contenders, leaning toward Cosmo or 70th. @Zac, very good info - you really seem to know the product line. Manna is my other top contender.

@Nero, I recall having a similar experience with the lather several years ago, when I had a puck of Felce. I sold that because the scent seemed synthetic and the lather was inconsistent for me (like you, it seemed easy to load too much). This was before I installed a water softener. With soft water, now, I have gravitated toward soaps that allow me to load more product and creams, so I can achieve a thicker lather. And I find the scent of the Stella to be more enjoyable - it has mellowed a bit in the 4 months that I have had the soap.

Lastly, I am surprised at the apparent longevity of this puck of Stella. After 2-3 months of regular use, I have hardly made a dent in it.

Thanks again. Any other opinions on SV are appreciated.

43 1,709
 10-23-2017, 09:27 AM
User Info
(10-21-2017, 10:48 PM)nav Wrote: I have dolomiti, felce and manna. Tundra is on the way.

My favorite SV is the dolomiti, which is the all black puck. I love all three scents actually but if I had to choose, it would be the soothing and uplifting scent of the dolomiti.

This. Great soap, wonderful scent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 688
 10-23-2017, 12:59 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Thanks for the recommendation re. Dolomiti black - was this a limited edition? Can one still find it for sale?

43 1,709
 10-23-2017, 01:09 PM
User Info
(10-23-2017, 12:59 PM)Andrew Wrote: Thanks for the recommendation re. Dolomiti black - was this a limited edition? Can one still find it for sale?

This is not available directly from SV at this point. I know some of the EU retailers have it but not sure who or how many US retailers restocked on the last batch. It is stronger in scent than the original run and the black appearance was from the difference in the Dolomites mountain silt. I use this soap when my acne and/or facial irritation is acting up. It is very thirsty and dense but isn't one that I consider the best out of the mechanical performance. It simply is the first choice when I really need the soap to combat irritation and to help clear up my skin. It rank it similarly to Tundra Artica as I would use it in a similar way. Let me know if you want a sample of the black Dolomiti.

Do you use aggressive or mild razors and how much beard growth do you have when shaving Andrew?

83 1,604
 10-23-2017, 02:40 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Hi Zac, I have been shaving every other day of late, and I am pretty exclusively using an Eclipse Red Ring. I have been through the gamut of mild to aggressive razors, and I’m not sure where to put the Red Ring. It just shaves me right (and is adjustable, btw).

Thanks for the offer on the sample, I may take you up on that.

43 1,709