08-28-2012, 11:05 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Krissy, of Prairie Creations, generously sent me a sample of her Pre-Shave soap to try out. Thank you

I personally enjoy using a pre shave soap to prep my face. I have used Musgo Lime and have been currently using Proraso glycerin.

I used the Prairie Creations for this morning shave. It has very mild scent it won't compete with you shave soap scent.

First impressions are positive. It did a great job in prepping my face for my shave soap. The soap did a good job in adhering to my face. Personally I felt that it aided in the slickness of the today's shave soap. It aided in a comfortable shave this morning.
It did enhance today's soap to perform better I felt.

Conclusion, compared to the Proraso, I felt it worked better.
It was an improvement over the Proraso. I would chose this product over what I'm currently using even after the first use.

1 3,507
 08-28-2012, 11:18 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Howler,thanks for your inputs about this pre shave soap.
Do you know its ingredients (I guess its tallow and maybe has lanolin/avocado oil)?
And,is it better than to use a pre shave oil?

86 7,123
 08-28-2012, 11:54 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
(08-28-2012, 11:18 AM)Teiste Wrote: Howler,thanks for your inputs about this pre shave soap.
Do you know its ingredients (I guess its tallow and maybe has lanolin/avocado oil)?

I'm not sure of the ingredients, I'm sure Krissy will chime in on that.

Early on I used a pre-shave oil, personally pre-shave soaps worked better.

1 3,507
 08-28-2012, 12:27 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-28-2012, 11:54 AM)Howler Wrote:
(08-28-2012, 11:18 AM)Teiste Wrote: Howler,thanks for your inputs about this pre shave soap.

I'm not sure of the ingredients, I'm sure Krissy will chime in on that.

Early on I used a pre-shave oil, personally pre-shave soaps worked better.

Interesting.Time for a poll!Biggrin

86 7,123
 08-28-2012, 01:22 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
I didn't add the ingredient list for the testers because I didn't want the ewwwwwwww factor. And no i did not use sheep placenta like some high $$$ European skin creams. But I did go outside the box using other natural ingredients in this soap other than just your basic oils that make soap. This soap is formulated completely different than bath soaps and shaving soap. However I think the next batch that I make I will use all palm kernel oil instead of both palm kernel oil and coconut oil. The reason is some people are sensitive to coconut oil, but I don't know anyone who is sensitive to palm kernel oil.

I did have the hubby try this soap out first before sending it out to anyone. He really likes it and now won't shave without it. He uses both pre-shave soap and pre-shave oil. But he also uses the soap to do double duty and wash his face as well.

I will also offer this in both scented and unscented which the sample were because I didn't know who my testers were going and who was going to be and if they were going to have issues with added scents. So unscented was the best road to take for samples. So any scent noticed is from the natural ingredients in the soap. I will also make it scented as well. I just haven't decided what scent yet or I may do a couple of different scent.

I did not use tallow or lanolin in this because I wanted to keep it as animal-free as possible for those that do not like or want tallow in their soap. Note it does contain three animal ingredients and some people may okay with as long as it doesn't contain animal fats. It does contain honey, whole egg and raw silk fibers.

This is the complete ingredient list in order of items they are used from greatest to smallest as required by the FDA :
Palm Oil, Coconut Milk, Olive Oil, Castor Oil, Fresh Carrot Juice, Sodium Hydroxide, Gerber Carrot (carrot, water), Whole Egg, Unrefined Shea Butter, Palm Kernel Oil, Coconut Oil, Honey, Sodium Lactate, Kaolin Clay, Raw Silk Fibers

The liquids in this soap are the coconut milk as well as fresh carrot juice that I juiced not long before making this soap so it was very fresh and retains it's natural vitamin content. I also added some gerber carrots because they are very liquified and you do not notice that it's there but adds to the whole outcome of the soap. That is where the natural color comes from in the soap.

I have tossed about the idea of using gerber apple blueberry in place of the gerber carrots because blueberries do have anti-aging properties just to add in another factor that will also benefit the skin.

The raw silk fibers give the soap a silky feel and they are dissolved into the lye solution when the lye is mixed with a liquid. I use natural raw silk fibers from the silk worm, the same fibers used to make silk clothing. This is what they look like. A photo that I took of my own stash.
http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm454...rs-400.jpg

Teiste if you would like to try a sample i can send you some to try out yourself. With your dry skin and sensitive skin it may help a little, or at the very least wouldn't hurt to try.

7 405
 08-28-2012, 02:04 PM
User Info
Nice review Brad, thanks.

Krissy also sent me a sample of the preshave soap and I have been using and keeping track of my thoughts. I used it 3 times when I first got it. I then went back to using my previous preshave soap (Clearly Natural Glycerin - Aloe) for 3 shaves. Starting with my next shave it will be 3 more uses of the Prairie Creations preshave to finalize my thoughts on it's performance and efficacy.

I will say for now that this preshave soap works very well. I do no like preshave oils as my skin is already oily enough. This soap doesn't dry my skin out. It does a great job of not only preparing my whiskers for dewhiskerification, but also on conditioning and cleaning my skin.

31 7,912
 08-28-2012, 05:18 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Krissy,very interesting information and it seems like that pre shave soap is kind of "moisturizing"!

Thanks also for the offering to try one,but Im afraid that I have to test and try several pre shave oils and write reviews about them in the next couple months.However,I m sure that in the future I will try your pre shave soap and compare it with the pre shave oil/gel/creams.

86 7,123
 08-28-2012, 08:02 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I too was one of Krissy's testers. I have used this soap everyday since I received it and it is helping with my dry skin. She asked me if I wanted to know what was in it and I told her as long as it was not whale sperm and used motor oil, I did not care.

I was not surprised when she said it had carrot juice and Gerber carrots in it, since every morning I get up and ask my wife "what's up doc".

173 23,493
 08-28-2012, 08:09 PM
User Info
Brad, thanks for the review.

Krissy, thanks for listing the ingredients.

75 20,883
 08-30-2012, 08:17 AM
User Info
Krissy, what does the carrot juice do for the skin?

40 5,830