Hello

well for the last 5 month i have writing everything down after every shave
-Razor
-Blade
-Brush
-Soap
-aftershave
-balm
-quality of the post shave how my skin was after the shave, before aftershave or balm
-Burn/Irritation level.
- smoothness
-Closeness
i did this because i pretty sensitive skin, but today i was bored, i thought i would have look to see i could find patterns there i getting the best shave.

Razor part was easy it was between the rockwell 6s-5 and gillette slim on 9.
Blade - Gillette nacet and Silver blue was the best..
Soap. here is why i post this under soap and creams, i all got too many soap :-)
the soap i got the best results, closet, smooth and most important no burn/irritation. Barrister and mann, OSP, Phoenix and beau, Viking and Sterling, after my list never had a bad result with them. then once i have problems with is: Tabac, Wickham, Soap commander, executive shaving cream and Maca root.

My first thought was there was some ingredients in these soap, i was reaction to, but i could not find any these stand out. But after closer look i notice all the soap i like and get the best shaves all have lanolin in them and none of them i have problems with have..

Can it be the lanolin there helps my sensitive skin so i don't get burn and irritation.. ?

Sorry for the long post, just trying to get better at this shaving..

0 43
 10-22-2017, 07:38 AM
User Info
Nothing wrong in nerding out a bit about shaving... a while back I reviewed an app to help me do just that: http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=35750

For the record, the app recently got updated. Now it's even better, with a better interface - I ought to redo the review.

3 5,762
 10-22-2017, 07:47 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Heino, it was clearly worth nerding out over. You discovered what works for you!! Enjoy your shaves Smile

10 3,115
 10-22-2017, 08:25 AM
User Info
Maybe lanolin works for you, but I am the opposite. 
Also, IME, fragrances are significant drivers of skin reaccions.

9 1,454
 10-22-2017, 10:00 AM
User Info
We add lanolin to our soaps specifically because of its post-shave properties.  It has a relatively high percentage of unsaponifiables that survive the fat/lye reaction and hang around in the finished product to give you the post-shave experience you seem to be after.  Of course, my wife is the soap maker and chemist, so I may have just butchered that explanation.

0 1,159
 10-22-2017, 01:27 PM
  • Nero
  • No Waxation Without Representation
  • Lanolin-Free or Die
User Info
I'm the complete opposite, Heino.

Every shave I've ever had with soaps containing lanolin has been terrible, during the shave and post-shave.

For me, during the shave, I get reduced slickness to the point it feels like I'm ripping the hair off my face.

Post-shave is a mystery bag of tricks... Blotchy skin, itchy skin, red skin, acne, unidentifiable bumps, itchy skin, itchy skin, itchy skin.

Feels like I have bugs walking on my face.
No thanks, I'll pass.

(But - if it works for you, keep doing it.)

82 3,444
 10-22-2017, 01:29 PM
User Info
Nothing wrong with that! I don't track per-shave, but I do have notes on what blades work and what I think of each soap and cream.

6 1,004
 10-22-2017, 02:01 PM
User Info
Hey Heino. It may be that your skin, as does mine, reacts much better to tallow based soaps versus soaps that are vegan and have a large coconut oil component. Just an observation based on a quick glance at your list. (admittedly I’ve not looked up the list of ingredients for all of these soaps, but just kinda speaking from memory).

44 442
 10-22-2017, 05:42 PM
User Info
I also have sensitive skin to some soaps , I found using witch hazel in the aftershave routine bells with irritation but it’s worth discontinuing use and use only what is comfortable.

82 1,712
 10-22-2017, 06:25 PM
User Info
I think i will keep trying my theory about lanolin :-)
Any there know of any Lanolin Balm ?

0 43
 10-22-2017, 06:48 PM
User Info
You could just buy pure lanolin, but it is quite 'sticky' to work with and it has a bit of a strong smell which you may not enjoy. 
It is a great moisturizer.

89 21,218