03-12-2012, 04:05 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
I decided to purchase some P160 and Vitos Extra Super (red label Almond Scent) from Joseph (italian barber). I always wanted to try both of these products and finally pulled the trigger.

After using both of these products a few times I came to the conclusion that I liked Vitos Extra Super more just because it was slicker. Both P160 and Vitos Extra Super create top shelf lather but each has something missing.

P160 lacks slickness, and Vitos lacks a nice scent. I would say Vitos smells kinda like fat to me.

After thinking about it I decided to take both products and Knead them together. I think I have created an awesome marriage. If you guys wanna try an awesome, and I DO MEAN AWESOME combination I highly recommend you pick these two and mix them together.

All you do is take equal amounts, wet your hands a little and start kneading them like dough. After a few minutes you'll have some very nice shave soap. That provides super slick cushion.

And yes it's a Caravela. And NO, it's not for sale #32

[Image: mg5397.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1 265
 03-12-2012, 07:55 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Something about italian soaps/creams (croaps) is that they are brilliant performers and more of them are bargains.THe only thing that bothers me its the sweet almond scent...I cant stand it anymore,but the skin care properties that these italian croaps gives are hard to beat,maybe only the french soaps provide better shaves.

86 7,124
 03-13-2012, 08:44 PM
  • GMofmiami
  • Miami, Fl & Central America
User Info
Absolutely love both of these soaps with P160 Tipo Morbido being my all time favorite...The performance and value you get from these soaps (Cella too) is second to none. Highly recommend them and assure you that you will be treated to a slick, cushion filled, comfortable shave.

45 708
 03-14-2012, 07:42 PM
User Info
So far my favorite is p.160. Vitos runs a very close second place. I don't see with it what the OP saw with p.160 not being slick. But it's YMMV, so I'm not arguing.

Now Cella... my nose has a very hard time with the scent, and Cella lacks the quantities of the good stuff for the skin that the others have in abundance. Vitos and p.160 smell good enough to eat too! When I get done with Vitos and especially with p.160 my face almost feels like it's had moisturizer applied. After Cella, not the same feel, it's drier. And I don't see the tallow soap curds floating in the sink with Cella either.

I've been using Vitos for the past 2 months almost exclusively to use it up, I don't need 2 SISs in the cabinet. Then for kicks I pulled the p.160 out of the refrigerator and lathered with it last week. I saw just how good it was compared to the vitos. As I wrote, vitos is a close second though. If I could only get Vitos I wouldn't fell deprived by much.

BTW, I don't know which Vitos I have, there are 2 types, and I was sent one of them.

32 6,311
 03-17-2012, 07:10 AM
  • Craig
  • Not a ragin Cajun; a mild mannered one
  • Astoria, NYC
User Info
I find the performance pretty much equal, but I agree that the Vitos scent is really lacking. I might try mixing them together. Sounds like a fun process.

6 119
 03-17-2012, 08:57 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have not had the chance to use either of the fine soaps. Can someone tell me the difference between the Vitos Red and Green?

I would try the P160 but I'm afraid I would fall in love with it, and like my beloved Floid Blue, the P160 is one of those discontinued products.

173 23,553
 03-17-2012, 09:38 AM
User Info
Johnny, P.160 can still be had, and it'll keep if kept in the dark and cool.

P.160 has more of everything that's in Vitos, more almond, more good stuff for the skin. It's just better. I actually think it's the highest in good stuff of any soap I've tried to date. That includes MWF.

32 6,311
 03-17-2012, 03:19 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
(03-17-2012, 08:57 AM)Johnny Wrote: I have not had the chance to use either of the fine soaps. Can someone tell me the difference between the Vitos Red and Green?

I would try the P160 but I'm afraid I would fall in love with it, and like my beloved Floid Blue, the P160 is one of those discontinued products.

Vitos Red has Glycerin added, the green doesn't . I have the Red one. When I compared the Vitos Red Vs P160 I feel that the Red is slicker. It might be the Glycerin.

1 265
 03-17-2012, 09:12 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
(03-12-2012, 07:55 PM)Teiste Wrote: .THe only thing that bothers me its the sweet almond scent...

I feel exactly the same way. The BN by TFS solved this for me. Truly a fantastic soap. It isn't even in the same league as the other italian soft soaps, its closer to MdC in performance than Cella

9 541
 04-10-2012, 06:45 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I never did get the craze about Vitos and P160. I found them to smell a bit like play dough and the lather was a bit lackluster in my opinion. Still though, people went crazy over them when they first became available. Another case of YMMV

45 16,359
 04-10-2012, 06:57 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(03-12-2012, 07:55 PM)Teiste Wrote: Something about italian soaps/creams (croaps) is that they are brilliant performers and more of them are bargains.THe only thing that bothers me its the sweet almond scent...I cant stand it anymore,but the skin care properties that these italian croaps gives are hard to beat,maybe only the french soaps provide better shaves.

That's one of the reasons I so like RazoRock. I don't mind the almond scent, but I love variety.

10 1,858
 04-10-2012, 07:01 PM
User Info
(04-10-2012, 06:45 PM)bullgoose Wrote: I never did get the craze about Vitos and P160. I found them to smell a bit like play dough and the lather was a bit lackluster in my opinion. Still though, people went crazy over them when they first became available. Another case of YMMV

I agree. You are now on the Italian Master Barber hitlist. Walk lightly in Rome and Genoa, my friend, walk very lightly.

2 697
 04-10-2012, 07:54 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Hehe...I know. I just cannot drink that Kool-Aid. Biggrin

45 16,359
 02-10-2015, 07:18 AM
  • kiruiz
  • Boellis Man
  • San Juan PR
User Info
Gents:

Question in regards the Vitos Red Lable. Does this soap is like Cella in terms of the scent? Meaning, that it loss the scent with the time? I have a kilo of Cella and it smells like PayDoh, I read in some forums that it happens with Cella because Cella don't use preservatives. Can someone let me know prior to get one of those?

Thanks
Ken

19 190
 02-10-2015, 07:25 AM
  • tti
  • NY,US
User Info
Last post on this thread was 2 years ago, some serious thread necro happening
and they are all almond scented so yes they smell similar but they arent identical

19 196
 02-10-2015, 08:32 AM
User Info
(02-10-2015, 07:18 AM)kiruiz Wrote: Gents:

Question in regards the Vitos Red Lable. Does this soap is like Cella in terms of the scent? Meaning, that it loss the scent with the time? I have a kilo of Cella and it smells like PayDoh, I read in some forums that it happens with Cella because Cella don't use preservatives. Can someone let me know prior to get one of those?

Thanks
Ken

Maybe some soaps do use preservatives, but most that I encounter don't use them. What I mean is that Cella and many other soaps that don't lose their scent have the lack of preservatives in common.

I think something else is going on there. I've never been a huge fan of Cella... it just always seemed cheaply made to me and never made my skin feel good.

I have some older Cella in the cabinet and yes mine has lost the scent also and is turning a color something more than off white but not quite tan. Other than 40 year old soaps it's the only one to do so. I tried to find my old post comparing different croaps, to figure out approx' how long it took to do this but I couldn't find it. In fact I couldn't find any of my old posts no matter what I typed in to get any results at all. I suspect it either doesn't work or I'm not using it correctly.

32 6,311
 02-10-2015, 01:03 PM
User Info
If you search some italian shaving products, i have tried to do a list here (in french, but you will find pictures, url, etc. especially in 5 or 6 last pages).
Honestly, if i need to do a top 3 of typical italian soap (almond scent) i would choose :
-> Boellis Panama
-> Sapona da Barba alla mandorla (Natura Ezzentiale) 
-> Valobra classic

2 124
 02-10-2015, 03:06 PM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
I love these almond croaps. Well - I used to. Then my skin started reacting adversely to them. :-(

17 535
 02-10-2015, 03:09 PM
  • tti
  • NY,US
User Info
I like the scent of p160 the most, unfortunately it is no longer being made

19 196
 02-10-2015, 07:01 PM
User Info
Is it okay to insert 3P in to this conversation?  I find it to be comparable to Vitos and P160, as well as Cella and Valobra.  I have used all of these soaps and each met my needs. I reckon it boils down to individual preference and what works for each of us.  Let's thank the Italian soap makers for giving us a variety of great soaps from which to choose.   Biggrin

Ed

19 697