10-23-2017, 05:31 PM
User Info
I have made a lot of shave sticks by putting some of my favorite soaps from a puck into an empty tube. One thing I discovered is that Croaps (soft soaps) make the best soap sticks I have ever used. I put Cella and B&M Latha into a tube and the results just blew me away. If you like soap sticks you have to try this. Put a croap into a tube. You will love it.

[Image: b6SVmzU.jpg]

5 1,801
 10-23-2017, 06:00 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Nicely done, Ron. It makes sense that the softer soaps would work well in stick form. I had tried sticks twice in the past (one in a green package and one in a red package) but didn't enjoy them - just not my thing. It never occurred to me to try filling an empty tube with a soft soap. Might have to give your idea a spin.

10 3,158
 10-23-2017, 07:13 PM
User Info
(10-23-2017, 06:00 PM)chazt Wrote: Nicely done, Ron. It makes sense that the softer soaps would work well in stick form. I had tried sticks twice in the past (one in a green package and one in a red package) but didn't enjoy them - just not my thing. It never occurred to me to try filling an empty tube with a soft soap. Might have to give your idea a spin.

I think you would love it. The performance is great.

5 1,801
 10-23-2017, 07:31 PM
User Info
I’d agree with this. My D R Harris Arlington stick gives good shaves, but is somewhat hard in use. I have to wet it a number of times to ensure I get the right amount of soap in my whiskers before proceeding to a face lather. I quite enjoy Latha Oceana, and could see that as an excellent shave stick.

31 1,624
 10-24-2017, 03:59 AM
User Info
(10-23-2017, 07:31 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I’d agree with this. My D R Harris Arlington stick gives good shaves, but is somewhat hard in use. I have to wet it a number of times to ensure I get the right amount of soap in my whiskers before proceeding to a face lather. I quite enjoy Latha Oceana, and could see that as an excellent shave stick.

I don't find hard soap is a problem. I never wet the stick. I find if you just rub enough on your face and use enough water it will work. The croaps just seem to make the whole process much easier. Fantastic lather in no time at all.

5 1,801
 10-24-2017, 07:51 AM
User Info
One bump.

5 1,801
 10-24-2017, 04:13 PM
User Info
(10-24-2017, 03:59 AM)shave/brush Wrote:
(10-23-2017, 07:31 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I’d agree with this. My D R Harris Arlington stick gives good shaves, but is somewhat hard in use. I have to wet it a number of times to ensure I get the right amount of soap in my whiskers before proceeding to a face lather. I quite enjoy Latha Oceana, and could see that as an excellent shave stick.

I don't find hard soap is a problem. I never wet the stick. I find if you just rub enough on your face and use enough water it will work. The croaps just seem to make the whole process much easier. Fantastic lather in no time at all.

If I don’t wet it, not enough comes off in my whiskers. But agreed - croaps make it easier, that was my point as well.

31 1,624
 10-24-2017, 04:44 PM
User Info
(10-24-2017, 04:13 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote:
(10-24-2017, 03:59 AM)shave/brush Wrote:

If I don’t wet it, not enough comes off in my whiskers. But agreed - croaps make it easier, that was my point as well.

That Latha Oceana is a great soap for sure.

5 1,801
 10-24-2017, 05:50 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
It brings me to the beach at Ocean City, MD every time I use it.

10 3,158
 10-24-2017, 09:23 PM
User Info
I cut up some Haslinger and put it in one of these stick containers, and haven't had as much success as when I load off the puck. I could see a softer soap working better...

6 1,009
 10-25-2017, 05:19 AM
User Info
(10-24-2017, 09:23 PM)Gig103 Wrote: I cut up some Haslinger and put it in one of these stick containers, and haven't had as much success as when I load off the puck. I could see a softer soap working better...

I had trouble getting shave sticks to work for me too when I first tried them. What finally worked was I put a lot of product on my face and used a very wet brush. Don't give up it's worth the effort.
For what it's worth when I was having a problem getting it to work I found Arko and Tabac to be the easiest to make a good lather with.

5 1,801
 10-25-2017, 12:25 PM
User Info
One nice thing about the croaps (soft soap in puck form) is that you can cut chunks off and press them into a tube very easily.  And the fun begins.

5 1,801
 10-25-2017, 02:01 PM
User Info
(10-25-2017, 05:19 AM)shave/brush Wrote:
(10-24-2017, 09:23 PM)Gig103 Wrote: I cut up some Haslinger and put it in one of these stick containers, and haven't had as much success as when I load off the puck. I could see a softer soap working better...

I had trouble getting shave sticks to work for me too when I first tried them. What finally worked was I put a lot of product on my face and used a very wet brush. Don't give up it's worth the effort.
For what it's worth when I was having a problem getting it to work I found Arko and Tabac to be the easiest to make a good lather with.
When it comes to sticks, nothing beats Palmolive for me. Even though I really like Haslinger and DRH, those as sticks don't work as well. And I compare to Palmolive because they're all fairly hard soaps. You're definitely right though, lots of loading is needed.

6 1,009
 10-25-2017, 03:43 PM
User Info
(10-25-2017, 02:01 PM)Gig103 Wrote:
(10-25-2017, 05:19 AM)shave/brush Wrote:

When it comes to sticks, nothing beats Palmolive for me. Even though I really like Haslinger and DRH, those as sticks don't work as well. And I compare to Palmolive because they're all fairly hard soaps. You're definitely right though, lots of loading is needed.

And don't forget the wet brush also. I think that's what really made the difference for me. I soak the brush and just give it one good snap of the wrist. I use it quite wet.

5 1,801
 10-26-2017, 02:01 AM
User Info
I love using my homemade Proraso sticks, SMN stick and 3P and Cella sticks.  Any of those along with a nicely broken in, wet boar brush makes for a great facelathering experience!  The soaps gets a flyin' around the bathroom, and my wife gets a yellin'.  Always a good time! Biggrin

95 923
 10-26-2017, 04:24 AM
User Info
(10-26-2017, 02:01 AM)chromedometone Wrote: I love using my homemade Proraso sticks, SMN stick and 3P and Cella sticks.  Any of those along with a nicely broken in, wet boar brush makes for a great facelathering experience!  The soaps gets a flyin' around the bathroom, and my wife gets a yellin'.  Always a good time! Biggrin

That's funny.

5 1,801
 10-26-2017, 09:20 AM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
What is your method of putting the soap in the containers? I have been interested in doing this to many of my favorite soap and I just haven't found a method I wanted to try yet since it didn't seem like I would be able to make it work right

12 609
 10-26-2017, 10:27 AM
User Info
(10-26-2017, 09:20 AM)JRRIII Wrote: What is your method of putting the soap in the containers? I have been interested in doing this to many of my favorite soap and I just haven't found a method I wanted to try yet since it didn't seem like I would be able to make it work right

It depends how hard the soap is. Basically you cut small pieces off the puck and just push them into the tube. It is very easy to do with croaps. I would recommend trying Cella or Latha by B&M because they are easy to do and work so great. I have also done it with hard soaps like Col. Conk Bay Rum, Van Der Hagen. With the hard soaps I take thin slices from them. It's not hard at all.

5 1,801
 10-26-2017, 02:01 PM
User Info
With soft soaps it’s easy. With hard soaps it can be easy too, I just grate them first then get some water and start forming your stick.

95 923