10-23-2017, 08:48 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Mr G. Young, great-nephew of Alexander Simpson, is no longer a member of this community. A couple of years back, he posted this image of a Simpson brush: the "Tourist", specifying a date of 1925. Quote (and pictures):

"One of the rarest Simpson brushes you will get to see - the original Simpson travelling brush the 'Tourist'. Made around 1925.
This is the only Simpson you will see made to hang upside down."

[Image: UinEsAy.jpg] [Image: RlUEN8G.jpg]

However, I have a similar brush with almost exactly the same container, but my brush has boar bristles and (I think) dates to the 1930s. It is marked "CWS" which was the Cooperative Wholesale Society, quite big in Great Britain the earlier part of the 20C. The red gunk at the bottom is a kind of sponge for soaking up the drips. Anyway, it MAY be that the type of container had been made for a long period and had been used by Simpsons for its own brushes, but either way, an interesting little pictorial research intrigue.  

Opinions very welcome indeed. Pictures:
[Image: SexEy5s.jpg]
[Image: mygfewY.jpg]
[Image: 31FnN4J.jpg]
[Image: zUXAdJJ.jpg]
[Image: Jgb6WoD.jpg]

0 1,983
 10-24-2017, 09:45 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I would say that you have indeed found another old Simpson brush.  There are either a few of those floating around or this same brush has been sold about three times in the last few years (on eBay).  Nice score!

156 2,880
 10-24-2017, 02:27 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Hmm. Interesting.

As to the “Tulip” forensic research I am conducting, I am about to write an update with some information that has emerged... all will be revealed!

0 1,983
 10-24-2017, 03:33 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(10-24-2017, 02:27 PM)Shaun Wrote: Hmm. Interesting.

As to the “Tulip” forensic research I am conducting, I am about to write an update with some information that has emerged... all will be revealed!

Antici

10 3,121
 10-24-2017, 05:47 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
pating the great reveal!

Wink

10 3,121
 10-24-2017, 05:57 PM
  • Shaun