08-28-2012, 11:17 AM
User Info
here is my prep routine so far.
1.hot towel on the face
2. while leaving face wet, i apply corn huskers lotion.
3. lather up. i am currently using Van Der Hagen Shaving Soap and Brush{ yeah, i know. but i did get some Williams to try when this is gone.Biggrin}
4. sometimes i also apply Barbasol on top of that
5. i get after it with a Gillette DE Razor dating from the early 60's and wilkinson sword blades
6. i have started making 4 passes.WTG,ATG,XTG then WTG once more.
7.rinse with hot water then cold.i dry the face and use either aqua velva alone or mixed with a little corn huskers lotion or clubman after shave.
for some reason, i had more than usual nicks. i think it was because i opened the blade up a little to try to get a wee bit closer on my neck, which i am having a problem getting shaved sufficiently. well, i put some clubman after shave lotion on and set my face on fire for about oh, 10-12 secondsBiggrin!
when itried electric shaving with my son, i bought some lectric shave. can i use that as a prep with DE shaving? i have heard of folks using baby lotion or hair conditioner also. oh, i have a sensitive face and barbed wire whiskers.
Thanks!

0 189
 08-28-2012, 11:46 AM
User Info
Just a few suggestions, only representing my own biases and experience:
Why the Corn Huskers lotion as a preshave? I think I would eliminate it because at this point it is just a confusing factor. I don't think you need to use any preshave oil at all until you have more experience. Skip the Barbasol; the VDH alone should be fine so long as you're lathering it up and applying it well. For awhile just do two or three passes, WTG and XTG (and possibly WTG again if you feel the need). Wait until your technique and muscle memory have improved significantly before doing ATG passes. Shave slowly and with relaxed concentration, making sure you are being consistent and letting the razor do the work, and focusing so that the blade angle doesn't change very much. Go even more slowly in spots where you tend to get nicks. Use short strokes rather than long ones. Let us know how it's going, and have fun.

Also, you might want to check some of the shaving videos through the 101 section.

185 12,010
 08-28-2012, 12:11 PM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I agree with omitting the Corn Husker's Lotion. There is glycerin in that formula but I think there are other, less chemically altered products containing glycerin that are more beneficial if you choose that route at some point. Trumper's Skin Food, Proraso Pre-Post or even pure vegetable Glycerin from the pharmacy.

I always start with a face wash. There are many glycerin based soaps including some specific to pre-shave that may work well for you.
After a wash, a hot towel is nice if you like, otherwise, face lathering your soap or even another pre-shave Barbasol application may soften your whiskers even more. A hot towel applied OVER the Barbasol might be the trick. You have to experiment a bit with that if anything else is needed at all.
Some will shave after a shower only and claim that does the complete pre/prep trick and others like myself prefer to shave before showering. Experiment with that one.

As far as the razor and blades, your call completely but...I would not loosen a TTO for a closer cut. I find that a tad disturbing and I think it leaves you open to lots of blood and/or irritation. If you love the vintage Gillettes and want differing degrees of cut, try one of their vintage adjustables like a Fatboy or a Slim so you can vary the blade gap to your liking. There are several modern adjustable alternatives as well.

As far as passes? Do you really need 4? Most go with three at most and then some touch up. I find that if I do ATG before WTG and then XTG, I am in for trouble. You can do multiples of WTG, XTG and THEN ATG. Make sure you have thoroughly mapped your beard growth to make sure what you are calling WTG, etc. is actually that. Initially, I was mistaken and did not give that enough thought.

Make sure you have fantastic lather. That, to me, is a huge key to the shave and what happens after I put the blade to my skin. It can make or break an otherwise perfect prep. Nice, yogurty, ultra lather,(search that term here)that is hydrated properly and does not dry out before a pass if finished. Add more water for subsequent passes if needed as well and/or don't be afraid to go back to the puck for more soap if needed for the next pass.

Cold rinse at the end is fine. Some like alum before the last cold rinse some like witch hazel or any A/S afterwards. If I've gotten an irritating shave, I will sometimes use an ice cube after my cold rinse. Ice is always great for inflammation and it helps even further to seal any weepers.

Lastly, there are some fantastic aftershaves out there. Krampert's Finest comes highly recommended by many including myself. It is highly soothing and very moisturizing too.
Many here also love Unrefined Shea Butter as a final balm. It heals and seals so quickly, it's amazing.

I hope that helps somewhat! I am far, far from any expert, these are just things that I've learned, (mostly here!) along the way that work for me. You will certainly find your way if you search here and elsewhere on the net. Leisureguy has an incredible book on Gourmet Shaving, videos here at TSN and by Mantic, Geofatboy and a few others on Youtube, etc. are amazing as well.

6 905
 08-28-2012, 12:15 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
That almost sounds like a troll post, no offense please, I have seen this routine somewhere else. Please read very fine suggestions from the posters above. All I have to add is this: try changing a variable at a time, especially blades, try any other blade for a week, see if it's any better, if it is, try new soap, if it's not better, try a new blade.

88 4,233
 08-28-2012, 12:42 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
If that pre shave,shave and post shave works for you and you get good results (no skin irritation,red spots,nicks or cuts and so on) keep it.

If not,read what the other gentlemen have posted and also add something as an after shave balm and reduce razor passes (only 3 WTG,XTG and ATG).

I know guys who gets relly good results from using Corn Huskers lotion,but Ill rather use a pre shave oil or gel like the RazoRock ones.

86 7,124
 08-28-2012, 02:33 PM
User Info
Thanks to all!! i read somewhere that corn huskers lotion would help soften the whiskers and enable the razor to glide easier. i will eliminate that as a preshave/prep. i went to 4 passes because i was just not getting a good shave on my neck, guess i figured go ahead and do it all. i do a good hot wash on my face before i start. i forgot to mention that. it feels righteous! and i will just close the razor all the way. it's a butterfly safety razor. i will let you know how it goes. Thanks Again for your advice!Smile

0 189
 08-28-2012, 02:36 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Also, don't aim for BBS on your neck until you get the technic down, especially if you don't let your face heal.

88 4,233
 08-28-2012, 02:40 PM
User Info
(08-28-2012, 02:36 PM)beartrap Wrote: Also, don't aim for BBS on your neck until you get the technic down, especially if you don't let your face heal.

thanks. i tend to go all out when learning something new.

0 189
 08-28-2012, 02:59 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(08-28-2012, 02:33 PM)boris007 Wrote: Thanks to all!! i read somewhere that corn huskers lotion would help soften the whiskers and enable the razor to glide easier. i will eliminate that as a preshave/prep. i went to 4 passes because i was just not getting a good shave on my neck, guess i figured go ahead and do it all. i do a good hot wash on my face before i start. i forgot to mention that. it feels righteous! and i will just close the razor all the way. it's a butterfly safety razor. i will let you know how it goes. Thanks Again for your advice!Smile

Boris, unless that butterfly razor (also known as Twist To Open or TTO) is an adjustable like a Fat Boy, Slim, or Super Adjustable, the razor must be closed all the way or the blade will rattle around and cut you.

2 11,211
 08-28-2012, 05:29 PM
User Info
Personally I just splash some water on my face then face lather, but I may have different skin than you. Also, try leaving your face wet when applying the aftershave. Not saying its the way to go but try it to see if the AS applies on your face easier. And remember to go slow with that razor.

0 241
 08-28-2012, 06:02 PM
User Info
(08-28-2012, 02:59 PM)freddy Wrote:
(08-28-2012, 02:33 PM)boris007 Wrote: Thanks to all!! i read somewhere that corn huskers lotion would help soften the whiskers and enable the razor to glide easier. i will eliminate that as a preshave/prep. i went to 4 passes because i was just not getting a good shave on my neck, guess i figured go ahead and do it all. i do a good hot wash on my face before i start. i forgot to mention that. it feels righteous! and i will just close the razor all the way. it's a butterfly safety razor. i will let you know how it goes. Thanks Again for your advice!Smile

Boris, unless that butterfly razor (also known as Twist To Open or TTO) is an adjustable like a Fat Boy, Slim, or Super Adjustable, the razor must be closed all the way or the blade will rattle around and cut you.

Thanks for saying this freddy. That was the first thing that went through my mind.

31 7,914
 08-28-2012, 07:58 PM
User Info
(08-28-2012, 12:11 PM)EHV Wrote: I agree with omitting the Corn Husker's Lotion. There is glycerin in that formula but I think there are other, less chemically altered products containing glycerin that are more beneficial if you choose that route at some point. Trumper's Skin Food, Proraso Pre-Post or even pure vegetable Glycerin from the pharmacy.

I always start with a face wash. There are many glycerin based soaps including some specific to pre-shave that may work well for you.
After a wash, a hot towel is nice if you like, otherwise, face lathering your soap or even another pre-shave Barbasol application may soften your whiskers even more. A hot towel applied OVER the Barbasol might be the trick. You have to experiment a bit with that if anything else is needed at all.
Some will shave after a shower only and claim that does the complete pre/prep trick and others like myself prefer to shave before showering. Experiment with that one.

As far as the razor and blades, your call completely but...I would not loosen a TTO for a closer cut. I find that a tad disturbing and I think it leaves you open to lots of blood and/or irritation. If you love the vintage Gillettes and want differing degrees of cut, try one of their vintage adjustables like a Fatboy or a Slim so you can vary the blade gap to your liking. There are several modern adjustable alternatives as well.

As far as passes? Do you really need 4? Most go with three at most and then some touch up. I find that if I do ATG before WTG and then XTG, I am in for trouble. You can do multiples of WTG, XTG and THEN ATG. Make sure you have thoroughly mapped your beard growth to make sure what you are calling WTG, etc. is actually that. Initially, I was mistaken and did not give that enough thought.

Make sure you have fantastic lather. That, to me, is a huge key to the shave and what happens after I put the blade to my skin. It can make or break an otherwise perfect prep. Nice, yogurty, ultra lather,(search that term here)that is hydrated properly and does not dry out before a pass if finished. Add more water for subsequent passes if needed as well and/or don't be afraid to go back to the puck for more soap if needed for the next pass.

Cold rinse at the end is fine. Some like alum before the last cold rinse some like witch hazel or any A/S afterwards. If I've gotten an irritating shave, I will sometimes use an ice cube after my cold rinse. Ice is always great for inflammation and it helps even further to seal any weepers.

Lastly, there are some fantastic aftershaves out there. Krampert's Finest comes highly recommended by many including myself. It is highly soothing and very moisturizing too.
Many here also love Unrefined Shea Butter as a final balm. It heals and seals so quickly, it's amazing.

I hope that helps somewhat! I am far, far from any expert, these are just things that I've learned, (mostly here!) along the way that work for me. You will certainly find your way if you search here and elsewhere on the net. Leisureguy has an incredible book on Gourmet Shaving, videos here at TSN and by Mantic, Geofatboy and a few others on Youtube, etc. are amazing as well.

+1 Excellent advice, here. Good luck and take your time. You should also try an open-comb razor for the barbed-wire.

75 20,883
 08-29-2012, 06:04 AM
User Info
again, Thanks to all! i am taking notes...on paper till i have these new techniques down.so much to learn...

0 189
 08-30-2012, 02:18 PM
User Info
Good Evening all!
i tried some different things today and it sure seemed to help.i took a good hot shower first, instead of after. i used regular hair conditioner on face and left it there until i was done with the shower. got out and did not dry face, but put a paper thin layer of barbasol so as not to lose the moisture. yesterday, i read a article that WWII and Depression era guys would use all the hot water they want ted on their face, but the blade and shaving soap got cold water rinses and lather build up. the cold water lather took a little doing but i seemed to get good results. i also took the advice offered by the board and reduced passes to 3 and in the order of WTG,XTG then ATG then touch up a little on neck and under my chin. oh, barbasol only on first pass. rinse after every pass before reapplying lather. after touch up, cold water rinse and pat dry. i then applied Nivea post shave balm for sensitive skin.it was my best shave so far. closest i have got to a barber's shave.

0 189
 08-30-2012, 02:25 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
Your putting to much importance into your products, technique and hardware... if you want a closer shave you may need a different razor and blade combo,... If your razor is to mild your shaving to many passes to accomplish a smaller amount and irritating your face.. as for the nicks and weepers thats either possibly a small lack of focus or a blade angle... or the lather you are building up isnt quite where it should be

if you have thick hair i would suggest trying a more aggressive razor with a sharp blade... you can cut down your passes to two with a touchup or three

3 748
 08-30-2012, 02:30 PM
User Info
looking at some open comb razors......

0 189
 08-30-2012, 03:33 PM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
For Vintage look to an old type,... or a NEW, the R41 and Fatips can be very aggressive specially if its your first venture into aggressive razors,...

for new razors shaveabucks Cadet razor is getting a whole lot of love from some experienced guys and are on the cheap too

if you were looking for advice lol if not then uhh dissregard that statement,... but i do hope you find what works best for you and enjoy it all the more

oh btw a slim or adjustable razor is also a great choice... and if you find yourself leaving them on "9" all the time lol you may need a fatip or R41

3 748
 08-30-2012, 04:32 PM
User Info
At the risk of confusing things and getting stuff thrown at me.... Look into some of the SE razors. A 1912 or Gem Clog Pruf are great for thick beards and easy to use. The head shape lends itself to proper angle. Just a SE freaks thoughts.

1 55