10-24-2017, 09:47 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
I am a 3 pass (roughly 10 minutes) clean up (roughly 20 minutes) shaver, always starting the day with a BBS.

I have now been using the new Asylum EVO Model T bottom plate for more then 2 months (I was in the group that tasted the new aggressive base plate). In this time I have been comparing the MT with other razors in my rotation sometimes starting with one razor and finishing with the Asylum. Examples Blackbird Polished SB, Wolfman Standard DC, 1912 Damaskeene OC, Ever Ready Streamline, Asylum SE, Att SE1, Timesless 95 OC SS and Ti. and a 1934 Aristocrat. The blades I use are  Polsilver, Feather pro and superpro. (I have been using these last few weeks the Ikon MR-SE with a Feather Super Pro/aggressive, you feel the blade and hear the shave for me very smooth, I'm loving it along with the Asylum Model T)

My final evaluation is that I am always finishing with the Asylum MT or Timeless SS for the closest shave (the Timeless Ti is smoother then the SS and slightly less efficient). The Asylum though gives me one very important feature/detail that the Ever Ready also gives me, which is an accurate feedback assessment (from loud-rough to smooth-mellow) of the shave from start to finish (at times replacing my fingers on face stubble/smoothness assessment).

In my humble opinion as I stated in my first evaluation of the new aggressive plate/Model T, the MT is a smooth and highly efficient razor. For me I like the Brass version it has good weight and length, a slim head to get to those hard to get to places on your face and neck, good grip and shaving maneuverability and an attractive design, So as it stands for the time being this razor is my go to razor in my den.

54 662
 10-24-2017, 11:55 AM
User Info
I ordered my Model T baseplate this morning when I saw the email. Love the aesthetics of the Evolution (I already have the SS version) and am looking forward to an effecient shave. My experince with the first iteration of the Evolution was that it was a mild razor which was moderately efficient. I easily got a DFS but could never quite get a BBS without over shaving to the point of irritation. Here's to hoping the new baseplate provides the same mild feel on the skin while being more efficient.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

8 94
 10-24-2017, 12:21 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(10-24-2017, 11:55 AM)cyjazz Wrote: I ordered my Model T baseplate this morning when I saw the email.  Love the aesthetics of the Evolution (I already have the SS version) and am looking forward to an effecient shave.  My experince with the first iteration of the Evolution was that it was a mild razor which was moderately efficient.  I easily got a DFS but could never quite get a BBS without over shaving to the point of irritation.  Here's to hoping the new baseplate provides the same mild feel on the skin while being more efficient.

I think your going to like it, I don't know how many razors I've used over the decades but I've got to say this is a really nice shaver for me.

54 662
 10-25-2017, 08:10 PM
User Info
(10-24-2017, 12:21 PM)bijou Wrote:
(10-24-2017, 11:55 AM)cyjazz Wrote: I ordered my Model T baseplate this morning when I saw the email.  Love the aesthetics of the Evolution (I already have the SS version) and am looking forward to an effecient shave.  My experince with the first iteration of the Evolution was that it was a mild razor which was moderately efficient.  I easily got a DFS but could never quite get a BBS without over shaving to the point of irritation.  Here's to hoping the new baseplate provides the same mild feel on the skin while being more efficient.

I think your going to like it, I don't know how many razors I've used over the decades but I've got to say this is a really nice shaver for me.

I've had my Model T XL Brass since they first came out after Phill told me about them. So I sold my 1st Gen Brass Evo and I liked that to but as some said it was just a little to mild but all that has changed with the new T and it's a great shaver. Not quite in the same league as my Charcoal Level 3 or Timeless .95 OC for example but a great improvement over that older model and yes I can get a 3 pass BBS shave with it plus I love the way it looks.

0 239
 10-25-2017, 09:05 PM
User Info
I'm a bit disappointed there is not a black option.  I am not sure I like the mixed finish look enough to buy one to go with my black evolution.
Steve

0 993
 10-25-2017, 09:49 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(10-25-2017, 09:05 PM)Smooth Steve Wrote: I'm a bit disappointed there is not a black option.  I am not sure I like the mixed finish look enough to buy one to go with my black evolution.
Steve

Black simply does not sell well.

48 19,961
 10-26-2017, 04:37 AM
User Info
(10-25-2017, 09:49 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(10-25-2017, 09:05 PM)Smooth Steve Wrote: I'm a bit disappointed there is not a black option.  I am not sure I like the mixed finish look enough to buy one to go with my black evolution.
Steve

I agree Phil I don't see many razors that come in black selling very well as I think the finish doesn't hold up well is my guess.  Although black looks cool on some razors the finish issues are why I've never bought one or have a desire to.

0 239
 10-26-2017, 07:16 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Steve

It’s so subjective and personal isn’t it? I like the black oxide Evolution better than the other options. Still, I haven’t ruled out adding a SS to complement blacky and brassy.

10 3,115
 10-26-2017, 07:18 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
Steve

Try burnt orange, Phil. Hook 'em, 'Horns!

10 559
 10-27-2017, 05:41 PM
User Info
Just used my Son’s Brass Model T evolution. Beautiful looking razor with great balance, I like the longer handle. The shave was very similar to my Timeless Scalloped .95. Great job again Phil with the Asylum line.

17 310
 11-23-2017, 09:30 PM
User Info
I wanted to review the Model T baseplate (already own the SS Evolution), and since I now have 10 shaves with the Model T SS baseplate, I'll take care of that. For all 10 shaves I used Astra SP blades using each blade for 5 shaves. I used Stirling's Christmas Eve shave soap for all 10 shaves as I'm already in the holiday spirit. Smile I'll keep this brief. The Model T baseplate is definitely a step up in efficiency. Previous use of the Evolution provided me with a DFS but no better without over shaving to the point of irritation. The Model T baseplate easily provides a BBS with no significant increase in discomfort over the original baseplate. I do have a full, thick beard and had no areas that remained less than BBS. Excellent option for those looking to step up efficiency without sacrificing comfort.

8 94
 11-24-2017, 04:48 AM
  • Asafiev
  • Lancaster, PA
User Info
Is there a pass around going on for this razor model?

0 297
 11-24-2017, 05:12 AM
User Info
(11-24-2017, 04:48 AM)Asafiev Wrote: Is there a pass around going on for this razor model?

Yes.  It's for the version with the longer handle, but the head is the same and you get to try both base plates.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=51301

53 8,218