10-24-2017, 11:24 AM
User Info
Hi,
     What aspects should I be looking for in my search for a "good performing" shaving cream or shaving soap?
Thank you

0 111
 10-24-2017, 11:28 AM
User Info
A soap I give that designation to has the following qualities:
- Capability to produce a rich lather
- Good residual slickness
- Hydrating post-shave properties

75 2,411
 10-24-2017, 11:29 AM
User Info
To me that means good glide, good cushion, good scent, and not leaving my skin feeling dry. As with all other things related to traditional wetshaving, Your Mileage May Vary.

3 5,752
 10-24-2017, 11:49 AM
User Info
I'm sure you'll hear a number of these things echoed here, but the biggest things I look for are:
-Ease of building a thick & moist lather (if it takes more than 45-60 seconds, I'm not interested)
-Lather that doesn't dry out while on the face
-Glide/protection against my skin as I shave to minimize the feeling after I've shaved that I just dragged a blade across it multiple times
-Moisturizing properties during/after the shave - the best soaps and creams make aftershaves a luxurious option, not a requirement

11 107
 10-24-2017, 02:11 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(10-24-2017, 11:49 AM)Maha0098 Wrote: I'm sure you'll hear a number of these things echoed here, but the biggest things I look for are:
-Ease of building a thick & moist lather (if it takes more than 45-60 seconds, I'm not interested)
-Glide/protection against my skin as I shave to minimize the feeling after I've shaved that I just dragged a blade across it multiple times
-Moisturizing properties during/after the shave - the best soaps and creams make aftershaves a luxurious option, not a requirement

Working up a thick, luxurious lather is part of enjoying my shaves. I'm just getting started after 45-60 seconds Tongue
I agree, there are few things more annoying than dried lather before your pass is done. I like to err on the side of over-hydration.
In my limited experience, the soaps that provide the best protection are Valobra/AoS, LPL tallow and B&M white label and reserve.

10 3,112
 10-24-2017, 02:38 PM
User Info
For me if lather drys on my face before my pass is done I simply didn’t hydrate the lather enough , this was common when I was getting used to soaps in the beginning. For years I have employed puck lathering and in doing so have always got well hydrated lather. I used to read about gents loading for 5-10 seconds and I yield an entire mixing bowl full of lather for 10 passes , this only lead to poor results for me trying to replicate such things. I learned to do what works for me and stuck with that.

82 1,711
 10-24-2017, 03:08 PM
User Info
I know it's a good performing soap when I slice it off my face, with a blade, I am left BBS without irritation.

13 253
 10-25-2017, 04:03 AM
  • Nero
  • No Waxation Without Representation
  • Lanolin-Free or Die
User Info
(10-24-2017, 02:11 PM)chazt Wrote:
(10-24-2017, 11:49 AM)Maha0098 Wrote: I'm sure you'll hear a number of these things echoed here, but the biggest things I look for are:

Working up a thick, luxurious lather is part of enjoying my shaves. I'm just getting started after 45-60 seconds Tongue
I agree, there are few things more annoying than dried lather before your pass is done. I like to err on the side of over-hydration.
In my limited experience, the soaps that provide the best protection are Valobra/AoS, LPL tallow and B&M white label and reserve.

I agree, I lather for several minutes. I don't keep track but it's gotta be in the 3-5 minute range.
I wish there were other scents from LPL in the tallow formula. I haven't tried theirs, but I have not liked the two oud scents I've been exposed to so far. AoS is one of them, I can't think of the other at the moment.

82 3,443
 10-25-2017, 04:49 PM
User Info
(10-25-2017, 04:03 AM)Nero Wrote:
(10-24-2017, 02:11 PM)chazt Wrote:

I agree, I lather for several minutes. I don't keep track but it's gotta be in the 3-5 minute range.
I wish there were other scents from LPL in the tallow formula. I haven't tried theirs, but I have not liked the two oud scents I've been exposed to so far. AoS is one of them, I can't think of the other at the moment.

I'll end up with carpel tunnel if I'm lathering as long as you guys! You might need to throw on a wrist brace before your shave sessions pretty soon!  Biggrin

11 107
 10-25-2017, 05:14 PM
User Info
Not to further derail, but I also take my time as I load and build lather. It’s my favorite part of the shave.

29 1,563
 10-26-2017, 03:53 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(10-25-2017, 05:14 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Not to further derail, but I also take my time as I load and build lather. It’s my favorite part of the shave.
Yes. It’s good clean fun, for sure.

10 3,112
 10-26-2017, 10:18 PM
User Info
One Noobies Lame Performance Criteria:

What I have discovered in limited trials is an outstanding soap lathers easily.  No Master Bootlegger Nepalese Vegan Distilled Water and Klingon War Chants required to magically make lather appear.

It protects your skin from turning into a fountain of blood at the whims of the razor sharp steel sliding across your face.  

And somehow gives up an obvious and shocking closer shave than other soaps.  

Weird, but yup.

1 168
 10-27-2017, 03:52 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(10-25-2017, 05:14 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Not to further derail, but I also take my time as I load and build lather. It’s my favorite part of the shave.

Likewise. Its the biggest reason I  bowl lather half the time.

8 2,531
 10-28-2017, 09:07 AM
User Info
After ten years of using soaps, the whole ratings scales and performance metrics mean nothing to me.

As long as a shaving soap behaves like a shaving soap, i.e. can hold a good amount of water to give sufficient glide and the lather remains stable throughout the shave, that's all I require.

Outside of that, just pick your favourite scents.

0 108