10-24-2017, 05:54 PM
User Info
It seems I have been away from wet shaving for a little over 3 years now. At once I had membership here and a few other places. After venturing back on here the past couple days and at the other places it seems that most of the old guys that you’d see always posting are gone. Has the wet shaving community and boards in general take a hit from things like reddit, blogs, and YouTube? I ask because at one time all of these places felt like a community of friends. Not saying some of the regulars don’t still exist on here, I guess just the other sites it seems have been taken over by news so to speak. This definitely is not a bad thing, but have they ushered out the older guys who at once always posted on such boards. And to all newbs, welcome as I’ll be a new myself once my new gear arrives this week as I get back in the hang of things.

16 991
 10-24-2017, 06:03 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(10-24-2017, 05:54 PM)tsimmns Wrote: It seems I have been away from wet shaving for a little over 3 years now.  At once I had membership here and a few other places.   After venturing back on here the past couple days and at the other places it seems that most of the old guys that you’d see always posting are gone.   Has the wet shaving community and boards in general take a hit from things like reddit, blogs, and YouTube?  I ask because at one time all of these places felt like a community of friends. Not saying some of the regulars don’t still exist on here, I guess just the other sites it seems have been taken over by news so to speak.   This definitely is not a bad thing, but have they ushered out the older guys who at once always posted on such boards.   And to all newbs, welcome as I’ll be a new myself once my new gear arrives this week as I get back in the hang of things.

Well, a few of us oldtimers are still around

60 1,617
 10-24-2017, 06:04 PM
User Info
It's good to have you back.  All boards go through periodic changes among the more active members.  Hang around here for a while and participate.  You'll find we're still a great community with a nice mix of old regulars and new guys.

50 6,277
 10-24-2017, 06:05 PM
User Info
There have always been cycles , I have been around for about 10 years , many gents have taken a break from the forums and returned a few years later. I myself went a few years not posting much. I glance at other forums and it seems to be similiar everywhere , the vibe has changed a bit , regular posts have slowed down a bit . I just do my thing and try to keep things fun and be helpful for those I can be.

61 1,582
 10-24-2017, 06:13 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I’m still here..

102 18,664
 10-24-2017, 06:20 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Me too. Biggrin

46 18,487
 10-24-2017, 06:22 PM
User Info
(10-24-2017, 06:13 PM)Agravic Wrote: I’m still here..

Ravi good to still see you here and thanks guys for the input. Right after posting I saw a post by Nero almost identical to what I asked. I guess it’s like Ravi said in that post that it goes to show how maybe the landscape has become over saturated. It’s good to see the old faces, I guess I just always wonder if the people who stopped posting or even got banned are still kicking. I’ve personally dealt with two close deaths in my family the past six months and seeing as how I spent countless hours on all these forums years ago you grow close in a sense to reading others post. In other words, I just hope everyone that quit posting and such are alive and kicking and doing well.

16 991
 10-24-2017, 06:43 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(10-24-2017, 06:22 PM)tsimmns Wrote:
(10-24-2017, 06:13 PM)Agravic Wrote: I’m still here..

Ravi good to still see you here and thanks guys for the input. Right after posting I saw a post by Nero almost identical to what I asked. I guess it’s like Ravi said in that post that it goes to show how maybe the landscape has become over saturated. It’s good to see the old faces, I guess I just always wonder if the people who stopped posting or even got banned are still kicking. I’ve personally dealt with two close deaths in my family the past six months and seeing as how I spent countless hours on all these forums years ago you grow close in a sense to reading others post. In other words, I just hope everyone that quit posting and such are alive and kicking and doing well.

Thanks, Tony.
My honest opinion is that social media, for better or worse, has diluted people’s attention spans.
TSN, along with other traditional forums, has been around for awhile and continues to maintain certain standards and values. I cannot say the same about the plethora of so called groups out there on other venues.
Frankly speaking, it’s disheartening, some of the nonsense being propagated elsewhere.

102 18,664
 10-24-2017, 09:01 PM
User Info
Still here.

Lots of folks have been doing a great job handling the questions and such allowing us to take a back seat. It's good to see.

32 6,464
 10-24-2017, 09:19 PM
User Info
It's easy to blame "social media" for the alleged decline in the activity on dedicated forums... except that a forum is also a social media, so that finger pointing don't really work.

Facebook, Reddit and the like have both lowered the bar and (over)filled peoples time and attention - but the fact that the shave forums are still here speaks volumes; they offer not just a camaraderie but also a deep well of knowledge that's hard to beat. In addition each board have a certain, how to put, feel to it as a venue... there is no doubt in my mind that people interact differently on places like Facebook and Reddit than they do on a traditional forum, and there is big differences between the various forums as well. To me at least it's more participation on a forum than on what most people think about when they say "social media" - to me the later seems to be more about telling people what you do, rather than about listening to what they do.

Onion in my belt, get of my lawn etc... I can recall when Yahoo Groups was the hot place to hang out, so that kind of dates me when it comes to social media Tongue

But ignoring all that; we're still a community of friends here, and while people come and go it's always great to have a friend come back. So welcome back aboard Tony, enjoy the ride... and don't fret too much about the changes in the online social landscape - most things stay the same under the surface Smile

3 4,587
 10-25-2017, 07:06 AM
User Info
these forums are my homes for sanity and fun with wet shaving.  mets dozens of great helpful people and the other boards are sterile and viscious.  thanks to all my friends

74 1,309
 10-25-2017, 09:25 AM
User Info
Not sure if I count as an old timer, but I'm still here.

I participate in some Facebook groups as well, and they too go through cycles. Stuff happens, priorities shift, people come and go. It's natural, I think.

0 1,085
 10-26-2017, 05:57 AM
User Info
I find it interesting how each board has it's own style.  I have always enjoyed the knowledge base of the members of TSN, and for that reason have made TSN my forum of choice.  Lot's of things influence member involvement, to mention a few: exciting announcements, quality BST and a consistent flow of LE items on the positive side, and mean spirited posts and excessive trolling on the negative side. TSN has always done a great job on providing those positive influencers.  As someone who doesn't feel the need to experiment with much in the way of brushes, soaps or razors these days my participation is mostly influenced by the overall vibe of the forum, and the enjoyment of good conversation even in the presence of opposing views. Unfortunately, deplorable things happen on all forums, ours included, that cause member involvement to ebb and flow.  People reveal enormous chips on their shoulders, make mountains out of mole hills, and actually start arguments about what someone thinks of a shaving soap, a razor, or a brush, that they personally can't fathom anyone ever taking a liking to, hold apparently life-long grudges against others including vendors, artisans, members and moderators, and generally show an inability to just get over some difference of opinion or argument from the past.  All pretty silly and childish behavior if you ask me.  When I see this type of behavior I tend to shy away from the particular forum for a time.  I know lot's of our members who do the same.  Thankfully, all forums tend to regain their equilibrium and get back to being enjoyable places to hang out after these juvenile outbursts are quieted.  As Ravi mentioned earlier, it can be disheartening to see the nonsense being propagated, but that is why we need to continue to work even harder to make TSN a welcoming, and knowledge-filled place and eliminate the nonsense that unfortunately also happens here.

75 2,303
 10-26-2017, 07:49 AM
User Info
(10-26-2017, 05:57 AM)merkur man Wrote: I find it interesting how each board has it's own style.  I have always enjoyed the knowledge base of the members of TSN, and for that reason have made TSN my forum of choice.  Lot's of things influence member involvement, to mention a few: exciting announcements, quality BST and a consistent flow of LE items on the positive side, and mean spirited posts and excessive trolling on the negative side. TSN has always done a great job on providing those positive influencers.  As someone who doesn't feel the need to experiment with much in the way of brushes, soaps or razors these days my participation is mostly influenced by the overall vibe of the forum, and the enjoyment of good conversation even in the presence of opposing views. Unfortunately, deplorable things happen on all forums, ours included, that cause member involvement to ebb and flow.  People reveal enormous chips on their shoulders, make mountains out of mole hills, and actually start arguments about what someone thinks of a shaving soap, a razor, or a brush, that they personally can't fathom anyone ever taking a liking to, hold apparently life-long grudges against others including vendors, artisans, members and moderators, and generally show an inability to just get over some difference of opinion or argument from the past.  All pretty silly and childish behavior if you ask me.  When I see this type of behavior I tend to shy away from the particular forum for a time.  I know lot's of our members who do the same.  Thankfully, all forums tend to regain their equilibrium and get back to being enjoyable places to hang out after these juvenile outbursts are quieted.  As Ravi mentioned earlier, it can be disheartening to see the nonsense being propagated, but that is why we need to continue to work even harder to make TSN a welcoming, and knowledge-filled place and eliminate the nonsense that unfortunately also happens here.

Great statement and I agree on all points.

61 1,582
 10-26-2017, 08:45 AM
  • Roy
User Info
I came across the forums when doing a search for product reviews. They were extremely useful for this. Before discovering them, I had no idea, sone shavers had more shaving equipment than a well stocked shop!

0 19
 10-26-2017, 08:57 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(10-26-2017, 07:49 AM)ultra~nova Wrote:
(10-26-2017, 05:57 AM)merkur man Wrote: I find it interesting how each board has it's own style.  I have always enjoyed the knowledge base of the members of TSN, and for that reason have made TSN my forum of choice.  Lot's of things influence member involvement, to mention a few: exciting announcements, quality BST and a consistent flow of LE items on the positive side, and mean spirited posts and excessive trolling on the negative side. TSN has always done a great job on providing those positive influencers.  As someone who doesn't feel the need to experiment with much in the way of brushes, soaps or razors these days my participation is mostly influenced by the overall vibe of the forum, and the enjoyment of good conversation even in the presence of opposing views. Unfortunately, deplorable things happen on all forums, ours included, that cause member involvement to ebb and flow.  People reveal enormous chips on their shoulders, make mountains out of mole hills, and actually start arguments about what someone thinks of a shaving soap, a razor, or a brush, that they personally can't fathom anyone ever taking a liking to, hold apparently life-long grudges against others including vendors, artisans, members and moderators, and generally show an inability to just get over some difference of opinion or argument from the past.  All pretty silly and childish behavior if you ask me.  When I see this type of behavior I tend to shy away from the particular forum for a time.  I know lot's of our members who do the same.  Thankfully, all forums tend to regain their equilibrium and get back to being enjoyable places to hang out after these juvenile outbursts are quieted.  As Ravi mentioned earlier, it can be disheartening to see the nonsense being propagated, but that is why we need to continue to work even harder to make TSN a welcoming, and knowledge-filled place and eliminate the nonsense that unfortunately also happens here.

Great statement and I agree on all points.

+2

62 2,910
 10-26-2017, 02:10 PM
User Info
 10-28-2017, 03:03 AM
User Info
I'm certainly a new person on shaving forums but not a new shaver. I also don't read blogs, follow no one on twitter, visit Facebook maybe three times a year, totally ignore reddit & snapchat & emojis, have no interest in any video reviews but was active once in several UseNet areas.

But I discovered shaving forums indirectly a little while ago when I responded to a request about fountain pens only to find myself in a sub-forum of a Shaving Forum.  Whoda thunkit.

0 152
 10-28-2017, 07:07 AM
User Info
(10-28-2017, 03:03 AM)jar Wrote: I'm certainly a new person on shaving forums but not a new shaver. I also don't read blogs, follow no one on twitter, visit Facebook maybe three times a year, totally ignore reddit & snapchat & emojis, have no interest in any video reviews but was active once in several UseNet areas.

But I discovered shaving forums indirectly a little while ago when I responded to a request about fountain pens only to find myself in a sub-forum of a Shaving Forum.  Whoda thunkit.

and I was buying Cigar Afficiando magazine for a nephew only to find myself in a new hobby...

36 901
 10-28-2017, 07:11 AM
User Info
(10-28-2017, 07:07 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote:
(10-28-2017, 03:03 AM)jar Wrote: But I discovered shaving forums indirectly a little while ago when I responded to a request about fountain pens only to find myself in a sub-forum of a Shaving Forum.  Whoda thunkit.

and I was buying Cigar Afficiando magazine for a nephew only to find myself in a new hobby...

I love both of those statements!

18 1,655