01-27-2018, 08:42 AM
User Info
Gentlemen, just a quick update.  Jason was kind enough to send me a sample of version 7.61, which has an amazing ingredients list.  It is quite similar to version 7.4 that I have discussed previously, but has a lot more glycerin in it.  Increasing the glycerin definitely made for a lather that would hold more water and ends up with a better sheen.  This one is also a bit denser than the prior versions.  

It lathers up a lot like CRSW Select, whereas the old version 7.0 was more like Obsessive Soap Perfectionist.  7.4, for me, is essentially right in between the two.  Both 7.4 and 7.61 are really nice soaps.  I'm taking the plunge in open blade shaving with a goal of really learning straight razor shaving; therefore, I've been shaving with a Feather SS non-folding (kamisori-style) with a Schick Proline since late December.  Both of these soaps provide very good glide and plenty of cushion for me, a beginner at "open blade" shaving.  I've been using these soaps, Stirling, Mike's, CRSW, and Wholly Kaw exclusively since I started this quest to learn how to straight shave.  All of them have been perfect for the task.  

Good job, Hannah!  

I would love to hear opinions of the others who have recently received these soaps.

3 1,936
 01-27-2018, 05:11 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Jason recently asked whether I would evaluate Hannah's soap for straight razor shaving. I received a generous sample a few days ago, which I'm assuming is the latest version. I would have preferred an unscented soap to test, as I think scents can affect one's assessment. In my case I was worried that my strong distaste for the scent or the taste of anything mint would prevent me from giving this soap a fair shake. However, the quality of this soap allowed me to ignore my initial aversion to even lathering it, as it was easy to lather, was able to hold a good amount of water, and the lather held together throughout my normal two passes with a straight. I was very pleased with the amount of cushion, glide, and post shave face feel. Slickness is of upmost importance for straight razor shaving, and Hannah's soap scored very well in the slickness department, allowing me smooth, irritation free shaves. There was a nice residual slickness, leaving my face feeling moisturized. Overall, I'm pleased to give her soap very good marks, easily an A+.

38 5,697
 01-27-2018, 05:43 PM
  • Boonie21
  • Soapy Science Soaps
  • Atlanta, Ga
User Info
(01-27-2018, 05:11 PM)evnpar Wrote: Jason recently asked whether I would evaluate Hannah's soap for straight razor shaving. I received a generous sample a few days ago, which I'm assuming is the latest version. I would have preferred an unscented soap to test, as I think scents can affect one's assessment. In my case I was worried that my strong distaste for the scent or the taste of anything mint would prevent me from giving this soap a fair shake. However, the quality of this soap allowed me to ignore my initial aversion to even lathering it, as it was easy to lather, was able to hold a good amount of water, and the lather held together throughout my normal two passes with a straight. I was very pleased with the amount of cushion, glide, and post shave face feel. Slickness is of upmost importance for straight razor shaving, and Hannah's soap scored very well in the slickness department, allowing me smooth, irritation free shaves. There was a nice residual slickness, leaving my face feeling moisturized. Overall, I'm pleased to give her soap very good marks, easily an A+.

Thanks Richard! Reading your comments really made Hannah’s day! She is very pleased that her hard work and attention to detail are resonating so well with seasoned shavers across all of the different razor types.

When she makes another batch of Doc’s Special Blend (named after member Kingfisher “Doc” Fisher) she wants to send you a sample of that one too - the scent is simply outstanding and intoxicating.

Again, thanks for the feedback and testing!

105 1,700
 01-27-2018, 06:27 PM
User Info
Just want to say I love this soap. It gives a very nice cushion and lathers very nicely. This soap now is in my regular rotation.

Roger

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 46
 01-28-2018, 08:56 AM
User Info
(01-27-2018, 05:43 PM)Boonie21 Wrote:
(01-27-2018, 05:11 PM)evnpar Wrote: Jason recently asked whether I would evaluate Hannah's soap for straight razor shaving. I received a generous sample a few days ago, which I'm assuming is the latest version. I would have preferred an unscented soap to test, as I think scents can affect one's assessment. In my case I was worried that my strong distaste for the scent or the taste of anything mint would prevent me from giving this soap a fair shake. However, the quality of this soap allowed me to ignore my initial aversion to even lathering it, as it was easy to lather, was able to hold a good amount of water, and the lather held together throughout my normal two passes with a straight. I was very pleased with the amount of cushion, glide, and post shave face feel. Slickness is of upmost importance for straight razor shaving, and Hannah's soap scored very well in the slickness department, allowing me smooth, irritation free shaves. There was a nice residual slickness, leaving my face feeling moisturized. Overall, I'm pleased to give her soap very good marks, easily an A+.

Thanks Richard! Reading your comments really made Hannah’s day!  She is very pleased that her hard work and attention to detail are resonating so well with seasoned shavers across all of the different razor types.

When she makes another batch of Doc’s Special Blend (named after member Kingfisher “Doc” Fisher) she wants to send you a sample of that one too - the scent is simply outstanding and intoxicating.  

Again, thanks for the feedback and testing!

I love that scent, but it, too, has some mint in it, and also some wintergreen.  If evnpar really hates mint scents, I'm not sure he would be thrilled with "Doc's Special Blend," even though I agree with you that it is outstanding. 

Loved the review of the lather, though.

3 1,936
 01-28-2018, 09:46 AM
  • Boonie21
  • Soapy Science Soaps
  • Atlanta, Ga
User Info
Yeah, great point on the wintergreen - but for me, when you layer in the Vetiver like Hannah does, it gives the scent a complexity that almost makes the wintergreen not smell so much like mint as it does make it smell very woody and eucalyptus like.

Either way, maybe she will send Richard some lollipop citrus or one of her Rose scents she is working on. Smile

105 1,700
 02-03-2018, 11:28 PM
User Info
Any chance a European can test this soap as well? Biggrin

1 18
 02-04-2018, 12:13 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
(02-03-2018, 11:28 PM)ChrisVanMeer Wrote: Any chance a European can test this soap as well? Biggrin

I have extras that Jason sent me.  I can forward them to you.

48 2,072
 02-04-2018, 04:56 AM
User Info
(02-04-2018, 12:13 AM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote:
(02-03-2018, 11:28 PM)ChrisVanMeer Wrote: Any chance a European can test this soap as well? Biggrin

I would like that yes.
Of course I would pay for mailing it.

1 18
 02-05-2018, 12:30 PM
User Info
(02-04-2018, 12:13 AM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote:

Awesome.   I'd love to hear feedback from a friend or two from across the pond.

3 1,936
 02-22-2018, 08:21 PM
  • Boonie21
  • Soapy Science Soaps
  • Atlanta, Ga
User Info
Hannah continues to receive compliments from everyone who has tried her latest version. Even those that use straights almost exclusively are stating that the protection and slickness of her soap makes them keep using it! She is so happy!

105 1,700
 02-23-2018, 12:23 AM
User Info
I had the pleasure of receiving a care-package from @Mr_Smartepants (for which I thank you) and I must say, the package was bigger than I anticipated. I had seven different versions of the soap. I haven't tried every sample yet, but I have tried version 11 (since I thought this would be near the final product).

What I like about the soap is that it is very vibrant, very "light" if you will. A fresh smell that lingers after the shave. I have tried it with a straight and the slickness is spot on. It lathers well (tried with an El Druida Manchurian) and the lather adds a nice cushion for shaving.

If one would have packaged this soap in a commerical looking box and put an official label on it of a brand - let's say an Edwin Jagger - I would have totally believed that this was a finished product.

My experience with Italian soaps (Saponificio Varesino, Pannacrema, Saponificio Bignoli, Sapone di Paolo - altough American made) is that the scent are more creamy and less peperminty. So I would rather think of this as an English soap, since they are more into vibrant and fresh scents. So in my thought, Saponificiation would be a nice fusion name for it.

I hope I have done justice to the product by trying to write up what I think of it Smile 
Please let me know what you think.

1 18
 02-23-2018, 04:35 AM
  • Boonie21
  • Soapy Science Soaps
  • Atlanta, Ga
User Info
(02-23-2018, 12:23 AM)ChrisVanMeer Wrote: I had the pleasure of receiving a care-package from @Mr_Smartepants (for which I thank you) and I must say, the package was bigger than I anticipated. I had seven different versions of the soap. I haven't tried every sample yet, but I have tried version 11 (since I thought this would be near the final product).

What I like about the soap is that it is very vibrant, very "light" if you will. A fresh smell that lingers after the shave. I have tried it with a straight and the slickness is spot on. It lathers well (tried with an El Druida Manchurian) and the lather adds a nice cushion for shaving.

If one would have packaged this soap in a commerical looking box and put an official label on it of a brand - let's say an Edwin Jagger - I would have totally believed that this was a finished product.

My experience with Italian soaps (Saponificio Varesino, Pannacrema, Saponificio Bignoli, Sapone di Paolo - altough American made) is that the scent are more creamy and less peperminty. So I would rather think of this as an English soap, since they are more into vibrant and fresh scents. So in my thought, Saponificiation would be a nice fusion name for it.

I hope I have done justice to the product by trying to write up what I think of it Smile 
Please let me know what you think.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Hannah is very happy that you enjoy the soap, the slickness and the vibrant scent. Smile

It truly is excellent shaving soap and I am just blown away by how much I enjoy using it, but am more blown away by all of the folks that continue to reach back out to us and share their feedback that they just keep reaching for it. Smile.

105 1,700
 03-21-2018, 01:08 PM
  • Boonie21
  • Soapy Science Soaps
  • Atlanta, Ga
User Info
Quick update — after much thought and the overwhelming amount of positive feedback and requests Hannah has had for her soap, she has decided (with the support of my wife and I, and us assisting with funding some of her day to day soap making supplies, need for help at times, etc) to offer her soap for sale via an Etsy store she will be opening soon. She will also have a website (http://www.soapyscience.com) up and running with a basic format in the near future as well.

Hannah will offer three scents in her tallow soap base.

1) “Mint Mint” - a very straightforward peppermint scent that uses only distilled Peppeermint EO to provide the scent.

2) “Lollipop Citrus” - this scent reminded many of our family members and testers of the Lime flavored “Dum-Dum” brand lollipops we used to get as kids while standing in line at the bank or after a haircut at the barber. Also scented using only EOs with Lime, Lemon and Orange EOs.

3) “Doc’s Special Blend” - this scent is a blend of many EOs with notes of smokiness, wintergreen, light peppermint,rosemary, vetiver and some menthol layered in the mix. Hannah named this one after TSN’s own member Kingfisher since he was so helpful in testing her soaps for her science project and Dr. Fisher so thoroughly enjoyed the scent!

Hannah is so grateful for all of the support, feedback and candid opinions along the way and never expects that what started as her science project would turn into a hobby that she enjoys so much!

She is targeting 04/15 for her initial batch of soaps and will only make them in small batches (will typically be less than 50 of each soap made at any given time) as part of her sustainable business model so that she can dedicate time to studies, ice skating with her sisters, church and family time. She is going to try to come out of the gate with 100 jars of each scent when she opens but will then go back to a more manageable weekly production after that.

Thought I would share on Hannah’s behalf, she is very excited and we are very proud of her!

Her official name of the soap “brand” is —

“Soapy Science Lather Co.”

105 1,700
 03-21-2018, 01:19 PM
User Info
Excellent. Very happy to read this. 
As an unscented soap user, encourage you to consider an unscented soap for the future. 
Best of lucks.

9 1,459
 03-21-2018, 01:24 PM
  • Boonie21
  • Soapy Science Soaps
  • Atlanta, Ga
User Info
(03-21-2018, 01:19 PM)lloydrm Wrote: Excellent. Very happy to read this. 
As an unscented soap user, encourage you to consider an unscented soap for the future. 
Best of lucks.

I am so glad That you sent this because I completely forgot that Hannah is going to also make an unscented version of her soap as well due Primarily to the fact that she suffers from keratosis pilaris and knows what it feels like to depend on unscented and lightly scented products.

So to correct my post above she will actually offer four total choices.

105 1,700
 03-22-2018, 05:48 AM
User Info
(03-21-2018, 01:24 PM)Boonie21 Wrote:
(03-21-2018, 01:19 PM)lloydrm Wrote: Excellent. Very happy to read this. 
Best of lucks.

I am so glad That you sent this because I completely forgot that Hannah is going to also make an unscented version of her soap as well due Primarily to the fact that she suffers from keratosis pilaris and knows what it feels like to depend on unscented and lightly scented products.

So to correct my post above she will actually offer four total choices.

That is great news. I have severe allergies and even some mostly natural unscented soaps give me reactions. I look forward to giving Hannah's soap a try.

9 1,459
 03-22-2018, 08:32 AM
  • DannyZ
  • Harker Heights, TX
User Info
I have enjoyed Hannah's soap.  I'm not sure what formula I have.  I look forward to trying her Lollipop Citrus soap.

1 88
 03-29-2018, 09:01 AM
User Info
Excellent news. 
I have continued to use version 7.6.1 in regular rotation as I continue my straight razor shaving journey.  
It has provided the slickness and cushion I need. I have been very pleased with the lather.  

I'm also humbled and honored by her decision to name one of her scents after me.  (It smells great, by the way, and is unlike any other soap scent I have tried.)

3 1,936
 03-29-2018, 12:32 PM
  • Boonie21
  • Soapy Science Soaps
  • Atlanta, Ga
User Info
(03-29-2018, 09:01 AM)kingfisher Wrote: Excellent news. 
I have continued to use version 7.6.1 in regular rotation as I continue my straight razor shaving journey.  
It has provided the slickness and cushion I need. I have been very pleased with the lather.  

I'm also humbled and honored by her decision to name one of her scents after me.  (It smells great, by the way, and is unlike any other soap scent I have tried.)

Hannah was happy to bestow that name! Your feedback and genuine interest were instrumental is a couple of key adjustments Hannah made along the way!

She has gotten some serious accolades from members here and elsewhere and I am confident that for those folks wanting a high quality shaving soap that is scented with EOs and made from a tallow first soap base, they are going to be pleasantly surprised. Smile Hannah also intentionally makes her shaving soap harder so that it last much longer — I’ve been using the same bar of her soap for almost 3 months and it’s barely changed size. Customers will get a lot of bang for their buck with her 5oz jar of soap when she begins to sell it next month.

Here is a preview of one of her main logos that her and her mom made.

105 1,700