11-12-2017, 11:47 AM
User Info
(11-12-2017, 11:10 AM)shaverjoe Wrote:
(11-12-2017, 10:58 AM)kingfisher Wrote: After using number 3 again this morning, I have a further thought about the scent profile.  I think it is mint and chocolate.  Smells like mint chocolate chip ice cream tastes.  (I think, lol.)  I still really enjoyed it, though.

I took part of sample 3 and mashed it into a bowl. I get a similar scent profile as you do, Kingfisher, but smelling the larger piece of sample 3, it almost smells like gingerbread to me.

My mom thinks it smells like gingerbread and my wife has thought mint chocolate since the day Hannah made it. Smile funny how we each smell things a little different. And neither ginger or cocoa were used in either. Lol

102 1,471
 11-12-2017, 11:50 AM
User Info
(11-12-2017, 11:38 AM)Boonie21 Wrote:
(11-12-2017, 10:52 AM)shaverjoe Wrote: Shaved with sample 4 today. I will not comment on performance, but discussion of scent profile is permitted, correct?

Is the scent profile of 2 and 4 similar? To my nose, they smell similar, but certainly not the same.

Holy menthol, Batman!

Yes - permitted for sure.

scent for both 2 & 4 have Vetiver, with 4 being the one she introduced Menthol in. Very similar scents but 4 is more potent and one of my favs. 4 is a much harder soap as well.

I think it’s the menthol in #4 making it seem different from #2.

Again, I won’t discuss performance, but this sure is fun.

As shaving is such an olfactory experience for me, I snuck whiffs of all the samples this past week. From the puck, #5 is my favorite, so I can’t wait till Tuesday!!!

10 399
 11-12-2017, 11:51 AM
User Info
(11-12-2017, 11:47 AM)Boonie21 Wrote:
(11-12-2017, 11:10 AM)shaverjoe Wrote:
(11-12-2017, 10:58 AM)kingfisher Wrote: After using number 3 again this morning, I have a further thought about the scent profile.  I think it is mint and chocolate.  Smells like mint chocolate chip ice cream tastes.  (I think, lol.)  I still really enjoyed it, though.

I took part of sample 3 and mashed it into a bowl. I get a similar scent profile as you do, Kingfisher, but smelling the larger piece of sample 3, it almost smells like gingerbread to me.

My mom thinks it smells like gingerbread and my wife has thought mint chocolate since the day Hannah made it. Smile funny how we each smell things a little different. And neither ginger or cocoa were used in either. Lol

That’s wild. Yes, from the puck, #3 smells very gingerbread-ish to me. It pairs beautifully with Derby City Chop Shop AS.

10 399
 11-12-2017, 12:57 PM
User Info
(11-12-2017, 11:50 AM)shaverjoe Wrote:
(11-12-2017, 11:38 AM)Boonie21 Wrote:
(11-12-2017, 10:52 AM)shaverjoe Wrote: Shaved with sample 4 today. I will not comment on performance, but discussion of scent profile is permitted, correct?

Is the scent profile of 2 and 4 similar? To my nose, they smell similar, but certainly not the same.

Holy menthol, Batman!

Yes - permitted for sure.

scent for both 2 & 4 have Vetiver, with 4 being the one she introduced Menthol in. Very similar scents but 4 is more potent and one of my favs. 4 is a much harder soap as well.

I think it’s the menthol in #4 making it seem different from #2.

Again, I won’t discuss performance, but this sure is fun.

As shaving is such an olfactory experience for me, I snuck whiffs of all the samples this past week. From the puck, #5 is my favorite, so I can’t wait till Tuesday!!!

#5 is Hannah and my favorite too ... smells like a cross between earl grey tea and a creamy lime/citrus scent. Heavenly to my nose!

102 1,471
 11-12-2017, 02:06 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
This is really all quite fascinating. I have 3 on deck for tonight.

7 2,293
 11-12-2017, 09:11 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(10-27-2017, 09:11 AM)Boonie21 Wrote: My 13 yr old daughter Hannah chose “The Saponification of Fats& Oils” as her 6 month Long project for her 8th Grade Physical Science class.  Since she knows that I love shaving, she chose to focus her project specifically on making shaving soaps.

NOTE - I am the one who adds the lye water or lye milk (for her goat milk version and donkey milk version)  and does the stirring until trace occurs (the School discourages students from doing any process that involves a more serious chemical reaction and for them to get adult assistance)

So far she has made:

1) Base recipe w/ glycerin + lanolin + sweet almond oil

2) Base recipe w/ glycerin  (with goats milk as 100% of lye liquid instead of H2O) +  lanolin + sweet almond oil

3) updated base with dual lye liquid w/ tallow added & glycerin   (with fresh donkey milk as 100% of the lye liquid instead of H2O *from a donkey farm, not just some local farm with a donkey Smile lol *) + lanolin + castor oil + sweet almond oil + avocado oil + mango butter + sodium lactate + Menthol

4) will be a cold process donkey milk recipe

*** all soaps have been PH tested using strips to confirm alkalinity below 9 (most at 7-9) and none of the soaps have produced burns or any irritation on my face.  They have produced really, really nice Shaves though! Smile  my daughter might be a little genius!

Well, it took me a few days to get organized, but I have already started the evaluation of the samples that I received.  While I shall wait until I have tested then all with multiple runs per sample, here is my “organization” — such that it is, undertaken (with the assistance of Ziplock Snack bags and a pad of Post-it Notes) before the actual shaving started.  

[Image: hcI6aTb.jpg]

For purposes of ceteris paribus, I intend to standardize certain variables.  I shall use my customary Kumquat method of lathering for all samples; and to that end I have introduced a tall and skinny plastic cup shown in the image above for soaking the soap sample in very hot tap water while I take the shower before my shave, the water then being poured off into a preheated Georgetown G20 scuttle for bowl lathering with an until-then dry Mühle STF v2 (synthetic) brush.  I do expect to use more than one DE razor, though only one per shave, but I shall shave with at least two razors per soap sample, with overlap between razor types for different samples, so that razor type bias should be minimized over the full set of samples.  At the current time, and for the forseeable future, the only blades that I use are Feathers and KAIs, but there inevitably will be wear variations between shaves with individual soap samples as to the number of shaves already undertaken with individual blades, which I shall attempt to even out over the duration of the trials.

1 1,102
 11-13-2017, 08:26 AM
User Info
Sadly, I had to skip a day today because I forgot until late last night that I had a very early morning meeting today, so I didn't have time to lather up a soap this morning.  

I will be trying sample 4 for the first time tomorrow morning.  

I guess shaver joe and I agree on one thing with regard to scent number 3:  it's a gourmand.  Whether it smells like gingerbread or like mint chocolate chip, they are both foods.

2 1,513
 11-13-2017, 09:09 AM
User Info
(11-13-2017, 08:26 AM)kingfisher Wrote: Sadly, I had to skip a day today because I forgot until late last night that I had a very early morning meeting today, so I didn't have time to lather up a soap this morning.  

I will be trying sample 4 for the first time tomorrow morning.  

I guess shaver joe and I agree on one thing with regard to scent number 3:  it's a gourmand.  Whether it smells like gingerbread or like mint chocolate chip, they are both foods.

Indeed.

10 399
 11-14-2017, 07:10 AM
User Info
First shave with sample number 4 in the books.  Still learning new things about lathers, I think.  Nice scent.  Kind of a combination of #2 and #3, in that it has the minty freshness on top but beneath there is a more complex, slightly darker accord.  Nice amount of menthol, too.  

Much firmer soap; likely used more NaOH in the saponification.

2 1,513
 11-14-2017, 07:13 AM
User Info
(11-14-2017, 07:10 AM)kingfisher Wrote: First shave with sample number 4 in the books.  Still learning new things about lathers, I think.  Nice scent.  Kind of a combination of #2 and #3, in that it has the minty freshness on top but beneath there is a more complex, slightly darker accord.  Nice amount of menthol, too.  

Much firmer soap; likely used more NaOH in the saponification.

Yes - on both comments - scent is darker in basenotes and NaOH was increased significantly.

102 1,471
 11-15-2017, 08:35 AM
User Info
Shave number 2 on sample number 4 was this morning.  

I really like the scent of this soap.  If this were a cologne I would consider buying and wearing it.

2 1,513
 11-15-2017, 09:15 AM
User Info
(11-15-2017, 08:35 AM)kingfisher Wrote: Shave number 2 on sample number 4 was this morning.  

I really like the scent of this soap.  If this were a cologne I would consider buying and wearing it.

Wow! You made Hannah’s day with that comment! Smile

102 1,471
 11-15-2017, 01:33 PM
User Info
No. 4 is great.  I really liked it a lot.

0 193
 11-15-2017, 02:26 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Did shave two with number three last night. Version 4 tonight.

7 2,293
 11-16-2017, 12:03 PM
User Info
First shave with soap number 5 this morning.  The soap itself is crumbly; not as firm as soap 4 but much firmer than 1, 2, or 3.  Scent is pleasant; would've been nice for it to have been a bit stronger, IMO.

2 1,513
 11-16-2017, 12:37 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(11-16-2017, 12:03 PM)kingfisher Wrote: First shave with soap number 5 this morning.  The soap itself is crumbly; not as firm as soap 4 but much firmer than 1, 2, or 3.  Scent is pleasant; would've been nice for it to have been a bit stronger, IMO.

For me V4 was not as malleable as 1-3, so I was unable to mash it down into a container for easy loading - I face lather exclusively. So I wound up leaving it as a chunk and made lather in my bowl for the first time in three years. It was an interesting shave experience.

7 2,293
 11-16-2017, 01:45 PM
User Info
Reading along has been great! Pretty in-depth for a science project. Any chance we are going to see Hannah's Bubbles soap for sale soon?

1 141
 11-16-2017, 01:47 PM
User Info
(11-16-2017, 12:37 PM)chazt Wrote:
(11-16-2017, 12:03 PM)kingfisher Wrote: First shave with soap number 5 this morning.  The soap itself is crumbly; not as firm as soap 4 but much firmer than 1, 2, or 3.  Scent is pleasant; would've been nice for it to have been a bit stronger, IMO.

For me V4 was not as malleable as 1-3, so I was unable to mash it down into a container for easy loading - I face lather exclusively. So I wound up leaving it as a chunk and made lather in my bowl for the first time in three years. It was an interesting shave experience.

V4 loaded easily for me straight from the sample to the brush and it has also worked well for me as a sort of shave stick style too. I had no difficulty loading it and getting an abundance of lather last night. This one seems to have gotten even better with a few weeks of cure time.

102 1,471
 11-16-2017, 01:48 PM
User Info

If it was crumbly we probably cut you too thin of a piece - but could have also gotten brittle as it has cured. Makes me want to check a thicker sample of it tonight.

102 1,471
 11-16-2017, 01:56 PM
User Info
(11-16-2017, 01:45 PM)jazzman Wrote: Reading along has been great! Pretty in-depth for a science project. Any chance we are going to see Hannah's Bubbles soap for sale soon?

I was thinking the same thing, lol

0 83