12-11-2017, 06:31 PM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
For now the Blackbird has the edge in efficiency, keep in mind I've been shaving with the Blackbird about a year and a half so I've had plenty of time to get it dialed in.

10 1,672
 12-13-2017, 04:18 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
All in all Shawn, it seems like you’re enjoying the Evolution XL. If you have a chance would you mind posting a photo of the cleaned razor?

I’ve never used a BB so I have no frame of reference. I do know it has a great reputation. As I understand though, it’s a very efficient and smooth razor.

Btw, will you also be using the standard XL base plate?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Smile

8 2,749
 12-13-2017, 07:25 PM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I am enjoying the XL Evolution Charlie, I'm liking it a lot.  I'll post a picture of the cleaned razor before I send it to Brian.

Shave 3 and 4 are in the books.  Shave 3 was with the Model T plate, 2 passes with minor touch up, for a very nice shave.  One thing that impresses me about this razor with the Model T base plate is that it's a long lasting very close shave.  Some razors give a close shave but the shave doesn't seem to last that long on me.  I think it might have something to do with the cutting angle of the blade and how it cuts the hairs, but that's just a guess.

Shave 4 was with the standard base plate.  The difference in efficiency was pretty obvious from the start, the standard plate felt very similar to a Super Speed.  It took three passes and some buffing to get a close shave, it was not a BBS shave, good enough for work though.  I also had some irritation from from the extra passes and buffing.  

Tomorrow I'm going back to the T plate.  

A few observations.  

The diameter of the handle felt small initially, but after a few shaves it feels just right.  I am liking the handle a lot, the flat surfaces make it very easy to index the razor and provide a secure grip.
The tabs of the razor are exposed, and I need to be a little more careful around my nose and ears.

10 1,672
 12-15-2017, 05:25 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Thanks Shave Nook for participating in this pass-around of the Asylum Evolution XL 2 plate razor. It seems that everyone enjoyed using the brass beauty. My impression is that folks were more impressed with the Turbo plate, compared to the standard base plate. Tbh, I was expecting a more even split in opinions. Shows you what I know.

Anyway, the razor is on its way back to Bayside, so let’s call the tour completed for now.

Thanks again to Phil for bringing the Evolution to fruition in all its variations. It’s a modern classic.

And I’m an oxymoron Wink

8 2,749
 12-15-2017, 05:51 PM
User Info
Charlie, thanks for doing a great job on this tour!  You're only four days past major surgery and you're still handling TSN business.  We all appreciate your efforts.

51 7,541
 12-16-2017, 07:40 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(12-15-2017, 05:51 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Charlie, thanks for doing a great job on this tour!  You're only four days past major surgery and you're still handling TSN business.  We all appreciate your efforts.

Thanks, Ricardo. I didn’t do anything, really. Just packed and shipped is all. You and the other shavers were the ones who did the evaluating, photographing and posting. I did have fun watching it all unfold.

My only regret is that the XL wasn’t passed around to more members. When the tour began I was secretly hoping to not get the razor back until well into the new year. Oh well, like they say, ‘you snooze, you lose.’

8 2,749
 12-16-2017, 08:00 AM
User Info
(12-15-2017, 05:25 PM)chazt Wrote: Anyway, the razor is on its way back to Bayside, so let’s call the tour completed for now.

Did Brian in Ohio bow out? He'd signed up after Shawn.

9 1,013
 12-16-2017, 08:07 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(12-16-2017, 08:00 AM)Rory1262 Wrote:
(12-15-2017, 05:25 PM)chazt Wrote: Anyway, the razor is on its way back to Bayside, so let’s call the tour completed for now.

Did Brian in Ohio bow out? He'd signed up after Shawn.

Sadly, yes. Brian was unable to participate at this time due to some personal reasons.

8 2,749
 12-16-2017, 06:11 PM
User Info
Great pass around.  Thanks again Charlie for sponsoring it and to the other reviewers.  I am really glad I had the opportunity to work with this razor for a week.

23 1,938
 12-16-2017, 07:10 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(12-16-2017, 06:11 PM)wreck | fish Wrote: Great pass around.  Thanks again Charlie for sponsoring it and to the other reviewers.  I am really glad I had the opportunity to work with this razor for a week.

You’re very welcome, Tom. It was my pleasure being able to share. It’s good you enjoyed the XL. It’s a top notch shaver! Looking forward to using it again in a couple of days Smile

8 2,749
 12-18-2017, 10:26 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
The XL arrived about a half hour ago. The circle has been completed.

8 2,749
 12-19-2017, 03:52 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
The XL didn't got home in a hurry!  Thank you again Charlie.

10 1,672