11-15-2017, 02:16 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
You’re quite welcome, fellows. It’s my pleasure.

Ricardo, the writeup of your experience with the Evo XL was as always well planned and well written. I've said this before, you and I have similar tastes in many things shave related. As you, I prefer shorter handled and less, rather than more aggressive razors.

Your method of testing the two plates was interesting. Personally, I wouldn't have changed plates mid shave. Kudos to you for making the effort. You mentioned more substantial blade feel with the Turbo plate. It took a couple of shaves for me to adjust my senses to the T plate because of, as you pointed out, more blade feel. It was easier adjusting my technique than my brain. During the actual shave, other than a lighter touch and more attention to detail, there wasn't much to adjust in terms of angle or even number of passes. Post shave for me felt "more intense" than with the standard plate. This feeling dissipated as my skin recovered. I chalked it up to the more aggressive shave provided by the T plate.

As I mentioned in another thread re: testing the T plate, and I'm sure you agree, Phil definitely achieved his desired result of creating a more aggressive razor with the introduction of the Evolution T. I know there are many members here who seek more aggressive razors. The Turbo Evolution should easily meet their requirements. For those who prefer a mid aggressive feel, the standard and XL Evolution razors can't be beat. Either way it's a win-win!

Thanks again for the substantive review. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the experience.

7 2,298
 11-15-2017, 04:08 PM
User Info
The razor has arrived, and there is a nice assortment of blades in there as well.  Thanks all.  Can't wait for the shave tomorrow.

The razor in brass is very striking...it screams heirloom quality and with the brass, it feels as if it might already be 70 years old.

[Image: UYw8bZW.jpg]

[Image: otlRVrj.jpg]

18 1,679
 11-16-2017, 09:18 AM
User Info
First run with Evolution.  I like aggressive/efficient razors so I went straight for the "T" plate.  I was in a bit of a hurry, so didn't put a lot of time into the shave but I was rewarded with a close comfortable shave, just short of BBS.  This is with 2 passes, WTG, ATG, and minor minor touch up.  The most striking thing to me with this first test...I didn't have to think about it and it was extremely comfortable.  I'd agree with other comments that is a very efficient razor while being very very comfortable.

I didn't realize that the Evolution stayed true to the original Darwin in terms of mechanics...with the handle threading into the top plate.  I really appreciate that.  It's a very novel and effective assembly and refreshing to use.

[Image: dvtTUEA.jpg]

18 1,679
 11-16-2017, 12:45 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Good post, Tom. You'll have it going into the weekend so hopefully you'll be able to really put the XL through its paces. Enjoy your shaves! Btw I dig your photos, too. The art of arranging/composing shave pics eludes me.

7 2,298
 11-16-2017, 01:30 PM
User Info
Thanks Charlie!  Appreciate the complement.  I'll give the razor the full once over for sure!

18 1,679
 11-18-2017, 05:00 PM
User Info
Shave # 2 is in the books.  I had to skip yesterday due to some work obligations...so today the Evolution tackled 2.5 days of growth.  This really is a smooth razor.  Usually with this much growth I get some chatter, with almost any razor I use.  But today it was as if I was shaving 1 days worth of growth.  

I had the luxury to do a 3 pass shave today and ended up with a BBS.  There are a few patches, but I attribute this to poor prep and follow through in those areas.  The weight of the razor is perfect, nice balance.  The handle is, well, awesome.  I like the squared off edges and the overall shape.  It leaves a lot spots to get a good grip or to rest ones fingers, and to do so comfortably...wish I could get the handle for my other razors, but the construction isn't compatible with the typical DE.

So, for today's review, the highlights are...ergonomics, smooth, efficient.  This is all with the "T" plate.

Also, call me strange, but I like the fact you can see the blade name through the baseplate...  

[Image: VLY5S3D.jpg]

18 1,679
 11-18-2017, 06:31 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Yes, I agree with you about the handle. It is very comfortable. The cornered handle was actually a concern before purchasing my first Evolution. As you can see now for yourself those concerns were unfounded. And viewing the blade logo is a nice touch.

Thanks for the review, Tom. Enjoy the rest of your shaves Smile

7 2,298
 11-19-2017, 11:52 AM
User Info
For my 3rd shave with the Evolution I stuck with my standard 2 passes + touchup.  I spent a little more time on prep today as I had felt some patchiness from yesterdays shave.  Finished the shave with a solid DFS+.  I'd call it BBS, but I can already tell it won't last as long as some of my other razors (Rx), so I downgraded to DFS+.  Regardless, a great consistent shave, very comfortable.  I found the longer handle allowed my to get to my XTG touchups easier than say, a bulldog handle, so appreciated that.  The brass is just beautiful.  I really like the patina it is developing, and as I said before, it imparts a sense of history and gravitas to the razor...something that I think is very appropriate given this razor's forebears.

[Image: MP5BWGM.jpg]

18 1,679
 11-19-2017, 12:19 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Great write-ups Tom. I am glad that the Evolution T worked well for you.

46 18,505
 11-19-2017, 02:20 PM
User Info
Thanks Phil.  I'm sure it's been discussed before, but I'll ask again.  Does the Evolution follow the original geometry of the razor it is based on?

18 1,679
 11-19-2017, 06:49 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(11-19-2017, 02:20 PM)wreck | fish Wrote: Thanks Phil.  I'm sure it's been discussed before, but I'll ask again.  Does the Evolution follow the original geometry of the razor it is based on?

Yes, for the most part. Darwin actually had a few different variations. It is pretty close to the Darwin razor that I provided. The XL obviously has a longer handle than the original

46 18,505
 11-19-2017, 07:33 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(11-19-2017, 06:49 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(11-19-2017, 02:20 PM)wreck | fish Wrote: Thanks Phil.  I'm sure it's been discussed before, but I'll ask again.  Does the Evolution follow the original geometry of the razor it is based on?

Yes, for the most part. Darwin actually had a few different variations. It is pretty close to the Darwin razor that I provided. The XL obviously has a longer handle than the original

It seems longer handles are in vogue. The Evolution XL is a great way to get the vintage vibe in a modern longer handled razor. It’s Old meets New.

7 2,298
 11-19-2017, 08:25 PM
User Info
Thanks for the clarification.  It's neat to see this thoughtful homage to the Darwin.

18 1,679
 11-20-2017, 09:02 AM
User Info
I just finished my 4th and last shave with the Evolution.  I tried to push the BBS boundary by switching out the blade from my Polsilver SI to a Feather to see if I could get a closer more efficient shave.  At the end of the day, it didn't extend the BBS any further, even with a third pass.  I wasn't able to crack the long lasting BBS conundrum in the 4 day period -- great shaves, DFS+ or BBS, but not as long lasting as my other preferred razors (Rx being top on the list).  

My final thoughts on the razor:  gorgeous design, well built;  a fitting homage to the Darwin ;  the brass gives the razor a sense of presence and history, I'm sure the stainless is just as beautiful;  long handle is great, T plate is a comfortable shaver;  a smooth shave, moderate efficiency, comfortable.  I suspect my search for a BBS shave in 2 passes + touchups is an aggressive bar to meet, and although the Evolution didn't meet it, it's a fine shaver and I think one many would like.  Thanks again Phil for bringing this razor to market and thanks to Charlie for organizing this pass around.  It was a pleasure to use the razor this week.

The razor will move on to Rory tomorrow.

[Image: cyOOHeQ.jpg]

18 1,679
 11-20-2017, 09:55 AM
User Info
Looking forward to it!
Charlie, the box is coming to my office rather than my home, and I think it's possible that it could arrive Saturday.
If that's the case, it wouldn't actually be delivered to me until Monday.

8 934
 11-20-2017, 02:08 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Tom, I'm glad you enjoyed using the XL. It was my pleasure organizing the pass around. I enjoyed reading your posts and seeing your well done pics. And like you said, thanks to Phil for bringing the Evolution in all its incarnations to market.

Rory, no worries, no pressure. You can't shave before you receive the razor. Enjoy your time with it Smile

7 2,298
 11-21-2017, 06:19 PM
User Info
Evolution is on it's way!  Thanks again Charlie!

18 1,679